My First Post+Second Wheatie

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everybody! This is my first post, obviously... So, I hunted for about an hour today at a local park in Stockton, CA, where I live, called American Legion Park. I have hunted there before, but haven't found too much (bottle caps, pull tabs, and 5 modern pennies). This time, I decided to start a long-term plan of covering the whole park and dig all the good signals, and boy, did it pay off. On my second hole, I dug a plug, got my pinpointer out, and then, it was a coin. It was pretty dirty, so my grandma and I (she takes me to the parks, as I am only 13) went to the car and got some water and washed it off. Lo and behold, a 1953 wheat penny!:headbang: That is only the second I have ever found. I haven't even found silver yet. :BangHead: I got my metal detector last Christmas, and have only found about $5.50 in total coins, with the only old coins being now two wheaties. But I have a long way to go! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cograts on the first of many finds. That silver is on its way. Welcome aboard TNET.

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and congrats on the wheat cents! Keep detecting and you will find silver.
I remember finding my first wheat cent- it was a 1957. I felt like I won the lottery!
I wish I would have started detecting when I was 13. Always thought about trying metal detecting, but for some reason I didn't get a detector until I was 46.
I haven't been on treasurenet long, but there are plenty of good, knowledgeable people on here if you need help with anything related to detecting. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Good luck!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in 1975 at age 12 - got a used machine for xmas
I almost gave up after my first year - I got some new stuff but all the older guys were finding awesome stuff and no one would help me
luckily I lived in a neighborhood that was built in late 1930s - my second year =1976
as soon as the snow melted I decided to do my yard - and that's where I learned how to use my machine - I found al kinds of silver and older coins
I even found my first large cent in my backyard - it had been hit by a musketball - don't know how it got there cause before this was a neighborhood it was nothing - but someone told me way back it was used for farm field - so must have been lost by some one on the farm.
Long story short - learn your machine - if you like the hobby - stick with it - if you put the time in - stuff will come
if you have any spots that date before 1964 - you have a good chance of getting silver
Im mostly a water hunter now - but spent my first 20 yrs doing mostly land spots - you'll find some of my stuff on slide shows here
just a small sample from my last 4 yrs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9z...hkEv_fdD_Gglsg

and good luck

OP
OP
D

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you to you as well! People on this site are so nice!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody! This is my first post, obviously... So, I hunted for about an hour today at a local park in Stockton, CA, where I live, called American Legion Park. I have hunted there before, but haven't found too much (bottle caps, pull tabs, and 5 modern pennies). This time, I decided to start a long-term plan of covering the whole park and dig all the good signals, and boy, did it pay off. On my second hole, I dug a plug, got my pinpointer out, and then, it was a coin. It was pretty dirty, so my grandma and I (she takes me to the parks, as I am only 13) went to the car and got some water and washed it off. Lo and behold, a 1953 wheat penny!:headbang: That is only the second I have ever found. Don't laugh at me, but I haven't even found silver yet. :BangHead: I got my metal detector last Christmas, and have only found about $5.50 in total coins, with the only old coins being now two wheaties. But I have a long way to go! I'll post pics tomorrow.

I started detecting at 11 years old & I had no internet to help me. So your idea of a long-term plan to cover the whole park never crossed my mind for many years. I now call it 'Gridding' & its one of the many keys to success. If your doing this already then your on the right track.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn your machine and keep hunting. I started out at about 15 or 16 and got frustrated quickly as silver coins were not jumping out of the ground into my pouch. Took a long hiatus before I got back into the hobby. Learning my machine was my biggest drawback. Save your clad till you are ready for new equipment. It adds up.

OP
OP
D

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn your machine and keep hunting. I started out at about 15 or 16 and got frustrated quickly as silver coins were not jumping out of the ground into my pouch. Took a long hiatus before I got back into the hobby. Learning my machine was my biggest drawback. Save your clad till you are ready for new equipment. It adds up.

To be honest, right now, I just keep all my money in coin packets.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have the bug. Remember to have lots of patience and you will keep finding more goodies. Never give up, that next hole may have that silver coin.

Schatzsucher

Greenie
Sep 23, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'm new to detecting, I will be coin shooting for the first time here in Florida.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and the Hobby of Metal Detecting.
Two Wheat Pennies?? Well the first one may have been just plain luck,, but 2??
I say that makes it official. You're a "Treasure Hunter"
Congratulations

OP
OP
D

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Horray! I'm a real treasure hunter! Oh, and some interesting finds on my record include a faucet and and an empty Faberge Brut 33 shaving cream can from the 70's!

OP
OP
D

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20160925_140416.jpg 20160925_140422.jpg
Pictures of the wheat penny (sorry the pics aren't the best).

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your find. I look forward to hearing about your next hunt! Welcome aboard. -Lisa & John

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took me a while before I found any silvers. I began with an el cheapo, TC-1023. 60 days later it paid for itself. I then upgraded to a mid level detector with a DD coil (Fisher F4). My 1st silvers came from permissions. I did dig some silvers at older schools and some other public lands, but all my best finds came from yards in town.

OP
OP
D

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parks are usually a good place to go, if you just know the signals. I also go to a little empty lot near my house. No coins there yet (though I did find a faucet on my second day), but there is more of it blocked by a gate and my dad has a key somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread