Incredible Day 1600s site. Seal Top Spoon, Latten Spoon, 1774 Half Real, LE Pipe Bowl

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out in a very long time due to work and trying to spend a little time with the family when I'm not working. I think about detecting all the day and have just wanted to find one day to get out there and dig a few targets. I had a free day yesterday and approached it this way....I'm going to get up super early and kayak in to a very early site. One that gave up a couple of my favorite relics ever, the early Latten spoons. It was a beautiful day and I felt zero pressure to make a great find. Just having a beautiful day to be on the water and dig some holes was enough for me. So out I went before the sun came up. I landed my kayak and got started hiking to the spot. I detected along the way and was hearing a decent amount of iron. Then got a nice signal and dug what I imagine came from a piece of furniture though I see no attachment points.
image.jpeg
In the same hole was some shells and a few ceramics. Soooo I'm thinking probably an 18th century trash pit. I will return to it this fall.
image.jpeg
The blue glass came from the water and has an interesting stamp. After digging a few buttons and making a mental not of where I was I continued to the 1600s site to see what was hiding in the dirt. First hole I dug contained my first pipe bowl ever with the LE mark (LLEWELIN EVANS) from the late 1600s. Pretty psyched to have it. I also found part of another pipe bowl. 17th century trash pit maybe????
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
This place is such a mess that you have to clear small spots just to swing for a few minutes. So after clearing a small area I got a screamer down deep. About 12" down I felt it and knew it was a spoon. Was over the min to see it wasn't plain. These are called Seal Top Latten Spoons. The date from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. A few minutes later I got another great signal close to the surface....another beautiful complete Latten spoon. A few minutes later I dug a broken spoon that's a little different style. I never thought I would find another complete Latten spoon after the two I found last year. To find two more examples is mind blowing to me. I couldn't be happier.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The entire family
image.jpeg
I also found what I believe is a 1774 half real. About 100 years newer than most finds at this site....crazy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found a couple of random drop coins. 1870 2 center and an 1867 5 cent.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It was an awesome day and this place is hiding lots more killer early finds....hopefully even an early silver. We shall see this fall
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crapola !

Phenom finds... well done.

bannerS.

Thanks buddy. Never though I'd find more of these intact. Thankful I never hit one.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
after looking at the pics (before reading), I had to scroll up to look at the date of the thread because it didn't seem possible to dig two more whole ones! Thought someone bumped your old thread. Huge congrats!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww man, you know how much I love those spoons you lucky SOB. Have all of those spoons been found in the relatively same area? You're starting to be a walking Hume book and I love it. Great job spoon8man!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding as always. But we just knew this was coming, seeing that you have been on the down low. Now you will REALLY be thinking about going back. I don't know how you can wait.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds Abe. I'm just stunned by the spoons in that place. It may be that the reale and 1870's coins were just drops by people passing through, or trade due to the type of area it is.

The pipe bowl is rad too bud. To have a maker is a rare thing.

Great write up too!

Thanks bud. I'm sure you're right on with the coins. Beauty of this place is that nothing is modern. I'm psyched to have the pipe bowl. It's my first so it's nice that it's very early

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe - I can't believe you dug 2 more of those early spoons - those are incredible finds!! And you have to believe that if you've dug this many there has to be more. Eight would be a nice number :laughing7:. Nice going on that LE pipe bowl too. I find both Will and Llewelin Evans pipe bowls and stems down this way so they must have been exporting huge numbers of pipes from Bristol back in the late 1600s. Some of my LE finds are pictured below. I also like that little whizzer toy as it has that textbook look with the 2 holes and serrated edge. And I think that small piece of pottery in the center of that pic is 1600s delftware, and the piece above it might be too. Based on your finds there you know a killer trash pit lies nearby, and hopefully you can locate it and uncover a boatload of incredible early artifacts. Great post man, and can't wait to see you get back out there, which I assume will be quite soon.

View attachment 1363797

Ya know Bill I have been believing that this place was only there for a couple years. But I'm starting to wonder if it may have been around a bit longer. Can't wait to clear more area and see what other early finds are hiding there....a silver coin maybe lol

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds abe!, I really like the early spoons, very cool!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to end a detecting drought with some amazing early relics. You have some incredible luck finding latten spoons and shoe buckle frames. The gear like item with the two holes in it is a whizzer toy. Congrats on a great day of detecting.

Thanks buddy I'm so happy to find these latten spoons as I don't believe I've ever seen another complete one posted. It's nice to find something from the earliest of settlement in this area

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good ahab

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible Day 1600s site. Seal Top Spoon, Latten Spoon, 1774 Half Real, LE P...

Thanks bud. I'm sure you're right on with the coins. Beauty of this place is that nothing is modern. I'm psyched to have the pipe bowl. It's my first so it's nice that it's very early

It's kind of scary that the reale could be 150-200 years newer than those spoons. Yikes that place is old!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent stuff Abe! Nice array of coin finds and the spoon is sweet. :thumbsup:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoon man..still burning it up. Congrats on another complete example for your collection Ahab. With their age, they have got to be rare to find them intact like that. Very nice collection man!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though you haven't been out digging for a while...you clearly have not lost your mojo. Congratulations on some very impressive finds. I also admire your attitude leading up to this hunt. Sometimes the internal pressure to load up the "keeper" pouch makes it difficult to just enjoy a beautiful day. HH

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds AhAb. Thanks for sharing.
About time you start posting some good finds for us to see.
BTW those spoons are Way Cool.

Last edited:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing recoveries Abe. The spoons are incredible. I'm envious that you have an island site requiring a kayak, sounds like a great adventure. Good luck with your fall hunts, hope you dig killer silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread