Incredible Day 1600s site. Seal Top Spoon, Latten Spoon, 1774 Half Real, LE Pipe Bowl

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out in a very long time due to work and trying to spend a little time with the family when I'm not working. I think about detecting all the day and have just wanted to find one day to get out there and dig a few targets. I had a free day yesterday and approached it this way....I'm going to get up super early and kayak in to a very early site. One that gave up a couple of my favorite relics ever, the early Latten spoons. It was a beautiful day and I felt zero pressure to make a great find. Just having a beautiful day to be on the water and dig some holes was enough for me. So out I went before the sun came up. I landed my kayak and got started hiking to the spot. I detected along the way and was hearing a decent amount of iron. Then got a nice signal and dug what I imagine came from a piece of furniture though I see no attachment points.
image.jpeg
In the same hole was some shells and a few ceramics. Soooo I'm thinking probably an 18th century trash pit. I will return to it this fall.
image.jpeg
The blue glass came from the water and has an interesting stamp. After digging a few buttons and making a mental not of where I was I continued to the 1600s site to see what was hiding in the dirt. First hole I dug contained my first pipe bowl ever with the LE mark (LLEWELIN EVANS) from the late 1600s. Pretty psyched to have it. I also found part of another pipe bowl. 17th century trash pit maybe????
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
This place is such a mess that you have to clear small spots just to swing for a few minutes. So after clearing a small area I got a screamer down deep. About 12" down I felt it and knew it was a spoon. Was over the min to see it wasn't plain. These are called Seal Top Latten Spoons. The date from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. A few minutes later I got another great signal close to the surface....another beautiful complete Latten spoon. A few minutes later I dug a broken spoon that's a little different style. I never thought I would find another complete Latten spoon after the two I found last year. To find two more examples is mind blowing to me. I couldn't be happier.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The entire family
image.jpeg
I also found what I believe is a 1774 half real. About 100 years newer than most finds at this site....crazy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found a couple of random drop coins. 1870 2 center and an 1867 5 cent.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It was an awesome day and this place is hiding lots more killer early finds....hopefully even an early silver. We shall see this fall
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing recoveries Abe. The spoons are incredible. I'm envious that you have an island site requiring a kayak, sounds like a great adventure. Good luck with your fall hunts, hope you dig killer silver!

It is an awesome little adventure bro. I didn't mention that the wind was blowing at least 40 on the paddle back and waves were crashing over my kayak....but that's just part of the cool adventure to me. Jumping out of a plane soon. Think they'll let me jump with my detector???? I will find that elusive early silver this fall. Time to add another 17th century silver to the very small collection

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, very cool finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds Abe! Congrats on the spoon.

Good to see you getting out and saving some history.

Best of luck to you sir.

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt and amazing early finds - those spoons are fantastic, and the coins are great as well (especially like the "random drop" coins - finding 2-cent and 5-cent shields in a single hunt is crazy). Looks like you have a great spot - congrats!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Abe! Congrats on the spoon.

Good to see you getting out and saving some history.

Best of luck to you sir.

Thank you my good man. Next week if things go right I should have a lot of early finds to post. I so hope the go right lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and amazing early finds - those spoons are fantastic, and the coins are great as well (especially like the "random drop" coins - finding 2-cent and 5-cent shields in a single hunt is crazy). Looks like you have a great spot - congrats!

Thanks SOC. It's pretty wild when you find old coins from the 1800s then spoons that are 250 years older. What a hobby

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what you find next week. Sounds like you have only done a very small part of it. The possibilities are endless. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what you find next week. Sounds like you have only done a very small part of it. The possibilities are endless. Good Luck.

Thanks OJG! I have barely scratched the surface at this spot

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome early spoons, you have quite the collection now! Nice post

Thank buddy hopefully it continues to grow

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread