Button or Native Piece? Fleur-de-Lis? and other items--1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE--Button or Native Piece? Fleur-de-Lis? and other items--1683 Mass Property

Hi Friends,

John did a bit of digging today in the Revolutionary/Colonial site and found some interesting stuff. The one that we are most intrigued about is what we assume is some sort of button or decoration. If you look closely, you can see that an arrow is either carved or painted onto it, and there are stars across the bottom of it, and then there is a very crude outline of what might be a bird. The back has a sharp hooklike thing. Any thoughts? It almost looks like a homemade USA button. Maybe an eagle with an arrow in its claws and stars. I know I'm reaching there. The second cool item is what we think is a fleur-de-lis, although it is more compact than the ones usually seen. The rest of the items are self-explanatory. Hope you all had a great day. Thanks for looking! -Lisa & John

UPDATE: Guys, I added another photo. For whatever reason, I can't get it to post vertically, but we believe the top of the item is where John's thumb is. I think the new photo now appears last in the bunch. We can clearly see the eagle beneath John's thumb. The head looks like it is facing to the left, the wings are spread out, and you can clearly see the stars around the rim. The arrow is barely visible in this one, but it is toward the bottom right, where the coin/pin(?) is bent. Possibly clutched in a claw? Or perhaps just there. The diameter is 13/16". I am wondering if we are looking at some type of homemade patriotic Americana button or pin? Cru, Barker, Abe, IP, Scrappy...and the rest of the gang, any thoughts? Another cool mystery! Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    811.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That spiked thing is a brass tack. I've come across them on colonial sites on occasion. Mine are all plain but yours looks like it has a nice design on it and is a bit more ornamental. Not a button.

Not sure what the fleur de lis brass item is but my first idea is furniture hardware.

Thanks, Scrappy--Maybe a one-of-a-kind, homemade, Patriotic tack? �� Haven't seen another like it. Oh well, will take it! --L&J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread