Button or Native Piece? Fleur-de-Lis? and other items--1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE--Button or Native Piece? Fleur-de-Lis? and other items--1683 Mass Property

Hi Friends,

John did a bit of digging today in the Revolutionary/Colonial site and found some interesting stuff. The one that we are most intrigued about is what we assume is some sort of button or decoration. If you look closely, you can see that an arrow is either carved or painted onto it, and there are stars across the bottom of it, and then there is a very crude outline of what might be a bird. The back has a sharp hooklike thing. Any thoughts? It almost looks like a homemade USA button. Maybe an eagle with an arrow in its claws and stars. I know I'm reaching there. The second cool item is what we think is a fleur-de-lis, although it is more compact than the ones usually seen. The rest of the items are self-explanatory. Hope you all had a great day. Thanks for looking! -Lisa & John

UPDATE: Guys, I added another photo. For whatever reason, I can't get it to post vertically, but we believe the top of the item is where John's thumb is. I think the new photo now appears last in the bunch. We can clearly see the eagle beneath John's thumb. The head looks like it is facing to the left, the wings are spread out, and you can clearly see the stars around the rim. The arrow is barely visible in this one, but it is toward the bottom right, where the coin/pin(?) is bent. Possibly clutched in a claw? Or perhaps just there. The diameter is 13/16". I am wondering if we are looking at some type of homemade patriotic Americana button or pin? Cru, Barker, Abe, IP, Scrappy...and the rest of the gang, any thoughts? Another cool mystery! Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    811.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Upvote 12

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it metal? I feel like I've seen that in the red book. I'm gonna go look. It's intriguing. Personally if it's metal I think it's a damaged old coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it metal? I feel like I've seen that in the red book. I'm gonna go look. It's intriguing. Personally if it's metal I think it's a damaged coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your thoughts, Juan. We believe the piece is copper or brass. Another mystery! --Lisa & John

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the most interesting colonial finds! :occasion14:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; That button with the stars onn it does appear to have an Eagle on it. The Eagle is facing sideways in the picture with it's head on the left side and it's claws on the right. It will take a lot of soaking in warm water to get that cleaned up to bring out the details. I have no idea as to what that first picture is of ok. PLEASE post a set of Front & Back of ALL finds you Post ok. That will help us to help you. PEACE:RONB

PS: Please post a picture after that button is cleaned up ok. we may able to nail it down for you. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi; That button with the stars onn it does appear to have an Eagle on it. The Eagle is facing sideways in the picture with it's head on the left side and it's claws on the right. It will take a lot of soaking in warm water to get that cleaned up to bring out the details. I have no idea as to what that first picture is of ok. PLEASE post a set of Front & Back of ALL finds you Post ok. That will help us to help you. PEACE:RONB

PS: Please post a picture after that button is cleaned up ok. we may able to nail it down for you. PEACE:RONB

Hi Ron, the first photo is just another angle of the button (if that's what it is). I did post photos of the reverses of everything. I'll see if John can clean it up at all without ruining it. As always, thanks so much for your advice. -Lisa

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L&J, y'all are better than binge watching a whole season of "24", every second is a new thrill :----)

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
L&J, y'all are better than binge watching a whole season of "24", every second is a new thrill :----)

It really is, Port! Glad you are all along for the ride with us. ☺ L&J

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff btj, you are fortunate to be on such an old site!

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff btj, you are fortunate to be on such an old site!

Thanks, J! Yup, an old state definitely gives us a wide date range! -L&J

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New photo and info added above in original post! --L&J

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely looks like an old military button. That is very cool! I hope someone can nail it down for you

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely looks like an old military button. That is very cool! I hope someone can nail it down for you

Thanks, Rub. I hope so too, my research is coming up with a dead ends. -L&J

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a button because of the spiked "hook" on the bottom. Possibly some sort of leather ornamentation for a horse reins?

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it's a button because of the spiked "hook" on the bottom. Possibly some sort of leather ornamentation for a horse reins?

Interesting idea, Down. Could be. We think that hook is bent and used to stick straight out. So it might be a pin of sorts. There was a 50-stall stable on the farm at one time, so who knows! Thanks for thinking outside of the box for us. --L&J

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That spiked thing is a brass tack. I've come across them on colonial sites on occasion. Mine are all plain but yours looks like it has a nice design on it and is a bit more ornamental. Not a button.

Not sure what the fleur de lis brass item is but my first idea is furniture hardware.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread