ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0221.JPG DSC_0224.JPG

These are common finds on the east coast, but rare finds in Chicagoland. Found both about 10 inches down in my back yard in general vicinity. Musket ball looks to be 50 Caliber, found with possible flint next to each other in the hole. The Minie Ball looks to be a mini .557 Enfield, but unsure of what it really is. Any ideas I'm all ears. My yard was once part of a larger parcel purchased in the 1850's by the first justice of the Peace of our county (Lake) Elijah M Haines, who was a friend and colleague with Abraham Lincoln. It is known that Abraham Lincoln would come to our area to visit Elijah. Could these be Elijah M Haines? If ammunition could talk.... Hainesville Illinois was name after Elijah M Haines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainesville,_Illinois

HH

Upvote 5
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congratulations!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The roundball is too small to be a musket ball, most likely a rifle but no way to say for sure. The other bullet is definitely not a minie ball, way too small. Not sure what it is, with a precise measurement with calipers one of the members here may be able to identify it.

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing find. Congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The roundball is too small to be a musket ball, most likely a rifle but no way to say for sure. The other bullet is definitely not a minie ball, way too small. Not sure what it is, with a precise measurement with calipers one of the members here may be able to identify it.

I Hate to have to agree but Cool finds none the less .

Also sounds like that property has some potential .
Keep Huntin.
Davers

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is probably a pistol bullet, quite possibly a .44 I'd rather dig pistol bullets than Minie balls any day of the week though, much less common find (at least in my neck of the woods).
Calipers are a must-have!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread