Message in a bottle (updated with Contents)

Sweetrazz

Sep 7, 2016
Monterey ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this while I was walking along the water at the seaside ca beach I could not believe it. I don't know much about it yet and it does a a message in it....maybe someone might know what I should do with it. I would love to see what the message says. A little bit of water has gotten inside. There is a number 2 on the bottom of the bottle. Does anyone know what that means. image.jpeg

Pictures From Post

IMG_1822 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 17

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one once in NC, but it was from only about a hundred miles down the cost.....For God's sake man open it":laughing7:

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Jeff of Pa, it is likely a science project. I remember a few years ag, one was found. The message inside was asking the finder to fill out the "message" giving the location. It had been floating around the Atlantic since 1915. Cool find. Keep us updated please!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a ocean current tracker bottle, if so the note inside may give you instructions to claim a financial reward for reporting where you found the bottle.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be opening it up. People put messages in bottles and dropped them in the ocean for a reason : to be read.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth, the bottle looks to be an 1890-1915 era perfume or cosmetics bottle. The numeral "2" on the base is simply a bottle mold identification number. I predict that opening the bottle will be anti-climatic. Best bet is to auction it unopened on ebay.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there appears to be the Remains of a 2 Here Also

d.jpg

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you open it, please have it on video.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Open it and post. Interesting find. Maybe it is Gilligan's.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweetrazz, First, congratulations on a rare find! Second, the bottle appears to be vintage, i.e. rimmed spout, cork stopper, thick glass bottom, decorative overall shape. Third, opening it is a news-worthy event, and the press would love to be there and record a "Human interest" story. Fourth, the local historica society in Monterey may be very interested in your project! Best of luck, Sub 8-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cork is in way too nice condition for it to be really old. When I find corked liquor bottles in 1940's dumps, the corks are trashed and mushy. My guess is that bottle has been in the water for less than 10 years. I could be wrong, though, so open it up!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is to ban the OP for eternity if she doesn't open it up and tell us what's inside within the next 24 hours! LOL!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUDE OPEN IT!!! Some poor soul on a desert Island is depending on you to save their life, Don't let them die because of your inaction's! You must save them! Get out that corkscrew and SAVE THEM!!!:occasion14:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Sometimes corks don't come out easy ... this is just a suggestion to remove the cork with as little damage as possible ... using a standard cork remover puts extream pressure on it ( fine for newer corks ) but not for one this old and this is a old bottle .
First warm the bottle ( neck area ) as hot as possible then try to chill the cork . You might be able to almost freeze it using over the counter
Freeze Zone used for wart removal ... I believe that's a small bottle of liquid nitrogin or something close .. and try to avoid crushing the cork by using a tool, instead try using your own hand power . If you have to pry it out rotate the bottle to push it out a little at a time , try to use a wooden pick and be careful ! If you can get the cork out use a fine tipped tweezers to remove the note , and if the notes wet you might try to unroll it then cause if dryed it my become brittle .. unless it's fiberish and will fall apart .
These are just idea's and haven't been proven . Cold contracts , heat expands ... it just might work ... your choice . IMHO , Woodstock

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a beach glass collector I can tell you the wear on that bottle looks correct and well aged, doesn't happen quickly. I'd say its been in the water for at least 50 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread