Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW PARK,, LOTS OF COINS & A LITTLE "LOVE"

I took a ride up north to an 8 acre park that another Tnet member has mentioned to me in the past. Prior to going, I pulled up the site on the internet. It has quite a sledding hill, and a very interesting history. I keep telling people, who might say that they are hunting a park that only opened in the 70's. All parks had to be something else before they became parks. This parkland that was donated to the city, was an estate, going back to the 1860's. The park is almost 8 acres and there is no way you can hit it all in one day. I gave it a 7 hour hunt, starting with the sledding hill. I was quite impressed with the amount of clad although I did hit a few deep wheat pennies. The oldest being 1917.

The Parks Enforcement Police visited about 3 hours into the hunt. Of course it was during me searching a plug. Right away after I greeted them in my usual friendly manner, I was told by one officer, "I don't think you can do that here.' Two of the 3 officers were amazed when I showed them my NYC Parks Permit. I knew right away that they were rookies. The 3rd officer thanked me for being so cooperative and asked me to make sure that I back fill any holes that I dig. I think this is the 4th time this year that I have been visited by PEP.

I didn't locate any silver on this trip but a return trip will be on my schedule in the near future. Besides the Wheat Pennies, I located a toasted Buffalo Nickel, and a 1959 Canadian Penny. The surprise find of the hunt was a 10kt Gold Filled "LOVE" plate that I think was part of an ankle bracelet or necklace. One reason I recovered this plate is because it seems that whoever is hitting this park, doesn't dig too many nickels. I dug 23 Nickels on this visit. My total coin recoveries came to 114 coins. I know there is silver at this site, and like Arnold says, "I'll be back!

IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That's quite a haul. -Lisa & John

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You were busy!, I bet silver is there!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Wheaties, buffalo, "ton" of clad and some jewelry to round off a nice hunt! :occasion14:

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very productive site! Congratulations on your success.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun hunt to me! WTG!

Did you ask the PEP guys what detectors they use? You know, when they run off the competition? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid finds ATW, and I bet there's more good stuff to be had. My favourite part is when you whipped out your permit and shut THEM down!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never been stopped on NYC parks, but I always have that permit ready. It must feel nice to show an officer;)

Anyway, sure there's silver in there. If you ever need a good NYC parks spot, just PM me. That one I scored 7 silvers on last week surely has a lot more bud.

Cheers

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread