Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a ride up north to an 8 acre park that another Tnet member has mentioned to me in the past. Prior to going, I pulled up the site on the internet. It has quite a sledding hill, and a very interesting history. I keep telling people, who might say that they are hunting a park that only opened in the 70's. All parks had to be something else before they became parks. This parkland that was donated to the city, was an estate, going back to the 1860's. The park is almost 8 acres and there is no way you can hit it all in one day. I gave it a 7 hour hunt, starting with the sledding hill. I was quite impressed with the amount of clad although I did hit a few deep wheat pennies. The oldest being 1917.

The Parks Enforcement Police visited about 3 hours into the hunt. Of course it was during me searching a plug. Right away after I greeted them in my usual friendly manner, I was told by one officer, "I don't think you can do that here.' Two of the 3 officers were amazed when I showed them my NYC Parks Permit. I knew right away that they were rookies. The 3rd officer thanked me for being so cooperative and asked me to make sure that I back fill any holes that I dig. I think this is the 4th time this year that I have been visited by PEP.

I didn't locate any silver on this trip but a return trip will be on my schedule in the near future. Besides the Wheat Pennies, I located a toasted Buffalo Nickel, and a 1959 Canadian Penny. The surprise find of the hunt was a 10kt Gold Filled "LOVE" plate that I think was part of an ankle bracelet or necklace. One reason I recovered this plate is because it seems that whoever is hitting this park, doesn't dig too many nickels. I dug 23 Nickels on this visit. I also recovered a brass ring.
My total coin recoveries came to 114 coins. I know there is silver at this site, and like Arnold says, "I'll be back!

IMG_5102.JPG IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG IMG_5112.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt!! With all those nickel finds its obvious you weren't leaving any gold behind. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions