paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In canvasing the fields around where I found the Vermont Copper I've noticed that nearly all the old pieces are in one strip that goes from the road to that spot on top of the hill. Since I figure that must have been the path that everyone took, I've been hitting it very hard and it hasn't disappointed yet! Below is just what I found in a few hours this afternoon.

DSC07659.JPG DSC07661.JPG DSC07662.JPG DSC07663.JPG DSC07664.JPG DSC07665.JPG DSC07666.JPG

The 1864 2 cent piece is great since I've always wanted to find one and it's actually in reasonable condition. The ground here seems to be randomly very gentle or very rough with copper coins. The brass cap and cone are the head-scratchers. The cone is unfortunately in two pieces. Thankfully I didn't hit it with the shovel, but just the dirt clod breaking apart was enough to snap the tip off. It's definitely brass and it has these interesting concentric markings along the entire length. I tried to get good pictures of them so you can see. There's no writing anywhere on it, but there are two holes at the wide end. Any ideas?

The brass cap has some early threading on it, could it be from an oil lamp? I found several other pieces of oil lamp a few days before and they were relatively close and of similar thickness/material.

Upvote 12

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the two center. I found one today as well.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that; apparently if you want 2 cent pieces Upstate NY is the place to be!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great day! Don't know what the other items are, but congrats on the two center! -Lisa & John

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the two cent coin, I want to find one or more of those!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could the cone be a candle snuffer?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
possible tip to a cane. I have dug 2 brass similar, always with small hole/s for securing to wood. check the '64 for large or small motto, be gentle removing the dirt to save patina, soft brush with wet baking soda

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 2 Cent Piece. If your finding them in farmers fields, they will always be a little rougher because of the chemicals, and constant movement when they disc the field and turn it over. The ones I have found that are the nicest, have come out of private yards. We have some real nice black dirt in our parts. Plus, when they were dropped in the yard, they typically didn't move around that much. ( until you dig them up ) !

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 2 center!!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twin Picks I think you nailed it! I looked on google images and the dug scabbard tips look very close to this one. What a strange little road this is turning out to be!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt. Congrats especially on the 2-cent piece - those are hard to find, and yours is in great shape. The only one I've found was super green and toasted.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cone thing a flag topper or tent pole piece??? Great finds that sounds pretty exciting Ill look for more posts Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kool stuff , esp. the coins . You write "you are on a trail to the top of a hill " ,
Do you have any clues as to what once existed on the hilltop ??? .

Love those mysterious sites !

dawg

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've definitely been trying to figure out what was there. The original house on the property is mid to late 1700's which a 1747 KG II half penny in the front lawn nicely confirmed for me! But these artifacts are all leading from the main road away from the site of the house. I did find a map of the area in the library of congress online archives from 1851. It shows the house and one structure in this field that's simply marked "t.r." with nothing corresponding in the legend.

There have been 12 of those brass pins so far and three leather rivets in addition to the whole and broken halter pieces. My current theory is that t.r. stands for tack repair and that the farm had a small stand for travelers passing through town. The 2 cent piece doesn't support the theory though since on the 1858 map of the same area the extra building is gone and the coin is 1864. I'll keep looking though, each new piece is a new clue!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread