Old Foundation

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
I'm new to md'ing and really enjoy it. I like searching for coins, but have only dug a couple wheat's, no silver yet. Growing up a friend and me were walking on his dad's property when I saw an old foundation and dug well. Since I started this hobby I've wanted to search that area. I saw his dad yesterday and he told me I could drive right up to it and search it whenever I wanted. Sounds like open-ended permission to me. Since I haven't had much luck finding any silver (I've searched where silver should be) can you offer any advice on how to conduct this hunt? All advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Jeremy!
Welcome to the world of MD'ing!

Anytime I search a "promising" new area, I hunt slow and methodically. Once I find a good target (old) I begin digging any interesting sound, making one large circle around the initial find. If I find more, I search much more attentively usually changing to a larger coil if lack of trash permits.

GRB

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Take your time, be thorough; if you're the first to hunt the site, you might do pretty well. Good luck and welcome aboard.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Jeremy.
What kindf of detector are you using?
Congrats on getting an old spot to hunt. You'll uncover quite a bit I'm sure. I've been hunting one farm spot for 6 months now and still uncover old relics and coins about every week.
Keep at it,
MM

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
bigmac58,

no recommendations. Just get out there
and have a good time. Do it your way. ;) ;D

What ever you do, don't make it seem like work.
Enjoy everything in the area.

Welcome to the board.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

R

RUDY2003

Welcome and good luck at that site....
Be sure and take some pics....

Keep safe...

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. Just go out there and detect that property. The only advise I can give is to hunt in the all metal mode. Yes, you will find junk that you do not want, but you won't be discriminate out relics, coins, etc. I dig everything and hunt in all metal mode. Dig all you signals. Hope it helps. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get them.

OP
OP
bigmac58

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
All,

Thanks for the advice. I have read and re-read the posts on this forum. The detector I have is a Whites Classic ID. It seems to be a good detector, probably a lot better in a more experienced hand. This hunt site has not been touched for years, maybe only a little trash from some deer hunters if any. Any old trash from this site will probably be treasure to me, though. I really enjoy finding the old items, even if they've been thrown out before. I have an old map dating from 1873 of my county that labels most homes, roads, churches, etc. This house is not on that map, so logic states that it was either gone by the time the map was printed or was built after the map. Very close on the same property is an old cemetery that has been forgotten. Many of the stones have dates from 1820's to mid 1800's. Based on that my guess is the house predated the map, I hope. My detector has a two way toggle switch for all metal. Are you suggesting to leave it open to detect everything? That sounds smart since I don't have a good grasp on the settings for discrimination and sensitivity.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread