Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited back to the field where I had dug the 1801 draped bust half dime a few weeks ago. I had dug a blowhole button in an area we had walked by in route to a higher ridge in the field. I stopped to snoop around and started hitting signals off toward a smaller rise in the field. The 1719 farthing came out looking great with a counter mark on it that I hadn't noticed. I handed the coin to Jay who very excitedly made me very aware of the counter mark. Curious as to what counter mark this is, and its story. An Irish Charles the second halfpenny, 1680 -1684. A KG 1730 farthing. The moon and stars button is one of my favorites. A silver cufflink with a bunch of smalls.
Looking forward to hunting the well soaked fields after all the rain we are still getting. Art

Attachments

• 20160929_133113-crop.jpg
    20160929_133113-crop.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 20160930_104552-crop.jpg
    20160930_104552-crop.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 158
  • 20160922_141620-crop.jpg
    20160922_141620-crop.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 20160921_192955-crop.jpg
    20160921_192955-crop.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20160921_193028-crop.jpg
    20160921_193028-crop.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 20160929_131538-crop.jpg
    20160929_131538-crop.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 20160930_110647-crop.jpg
    20160930_110647-crop.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 36

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for the important info. I cant believe the history associated with the counter mark on the farthing. Great stuff.

I can't be certain the mark belongs to Coney, but it would say it is a significant possibility.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a little more playing with your original image. I'll give you some opinion as to why I think the mark looks like Coney's, and the reasons I wasn't as certain.

Silversmith marks of the period were very rarely included letters that are incuse. When I say "letters that are incuse" I mean letters that enter into the depth of the metal. More often a silversmith's mark of the period would have a background that was incuse, and letters which would stand proud of the incuse background. I will include examples of a mark that includes an incuse background (in this case John Coney's marks)..... 27090_1_coney.jpg 27090_3_coneyjohn2.jpg

You will note the similarity in the "IC" with a crown above for your countermark, relative to the above Coney marks. But you may also note that the Coney mark above has an incuse background with proud letters, whereas your mark appears at least initially to have incuse letters. An enhanced image of your mark is included for examination....

20160930_110647-crop_edited.jpg

Now I would offer a bit of opinion... Firstly, silversmiths generally used their marks until they broke, and at that point they either salvaged them by making them shorter (if the damaged section would allow it), or they made a new mark (which was expensive and time consuming). I have seen examples of the Coney mark above, which do not include the rabbit (coney) below the "IC". I have always assumed that the marks without the rabbit were later in Coney's career (which fits nicely with the date on your farthing).. and that they came from a shortened mark. Imagine the shortened mark looking something a little more like this (although Coney had several marks with slight difference in the letters an crowns):

27090_3_coneyjohn2_edited.jpg

Now we're left with the question of why your mark has incuse letters, and the Coney mark has almost identical but proud letters.

I have one possibility to offer here. And anyone who has dug enough old coppers from farm fields has seen it. Often when letters stand proud on old coppers (particularly if the letters have very crisp edges) the copper erodes at the base, leaving only a negative image of what were once proud characters. I'd submit that it a possibility here. And if you look closely at the enhanced image, you will see what appears to be the ghost of an incuse background, behind the IC mark.

I think there is a very good possibility that this is John Coney's mark, and that your farthing was countermarked in Boston in either 1721 or 1722.

Just my opinion of course, but I think there's a good case for it.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool counter-stamp, my favorite is the gun.

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a little more playing with your original image. I'll give you some opinion as to why I think the mark looks like Coney's, and the reasons I wasn't as certain.

Silversmith marks of the period were very rarely included letters that are incuse. When I say "letters that are incuse" I mean letters that enter into the depth of the metal. More often a silversmith's mark of the period would have a background that was incuse, and letters which would stand proud of the incuse background. I will include examples of a mark that includes an incuse background (in this case John Coney's marks)..... View attachment 1365280 View attachment 1365281

You will note the similarity in the "IC" with a crown above for your countermark, relative to the above Coney marks. But you may also note that the Coney mark above has an incuse background with proud letters, whereas your mark appears at least initially to have incuse letters. An enhanced image of your mark is included for examination....

View attachment 1365284

Now I would offer a bit of opinion... Firstly, silversmiths generally used their marks until they broke, and at that point they either salvaged them by making them shorter (if the damaged section would allow it), or they made a new mark (which was expensive and time consuming). I have seen examples of the Coney mark above, which do not include the rabbit (coney) below the "IC". I have always assumed that the marks without the rabbit were later in Coney's career (which fits nicely with the date on your farthing).. and that they came from a shortened mark. Imagine the shortened mark looking something a little more like this (although Coney had several marks with slight difference in the letters an crowns):

View attachment 1365285

Now we're left with the question of why your mark has incuse letters, and the Coney mark has almost identical but proud letters.

I have one possibility to offer here. And anyone who has dug enough old coppers from farm fields has seen it. Often when letters stand proud on old coppers (particularly if the letters have very crisp edges) the copper erodes at the base, leaving only a negative image of what were once proud characters. I'd submit that it a possibility here. And if you look closely at the enhanced image, you will see what appears to be the ghost of an incuse background, behind the IC mark.

I think there is a very good possibility that this is John Coney's mark, and that your farthing was countermarked in Boston in either 1721 or 1722.

Just my opinion of course, but I think there's a good case for it.

Thanks for digging into this. Another possibility, a separate punch (incuse) was made for the single purpose of counter marking coins. I wonder if there are any other coins out there with this mark.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Counter Stamp and the research that it motivated is incredible.
Thanks for the post and congrats on some really cool finds.

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Counter Stamp and the research that it motivated is incredible.
Thanks for the post and congrats on some really cool finds.

Man oh man, the counter stamp looks correct. Time line is right on. I contacted the museum in Boston and left a message for the coin experts to put there two cents worth into the verification. If this is correct, and the real deal, I don't think I will ever top the history that was stamped into this 1719 farthing. The man that was Paul Reveres fathers master silversmith, oh my. I was thinking that its possible back then he marked his coins to authenticate them with the counterfeiting going on. Or possibly he was hired to authenticate coins for others. He would have been the expert on coinage. If this is the real deal I know I have not dug anything that comes close to the American history this coin carries. keeping my fingers crossed on this rare bird.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the authentication, I hope it turns out to be a Coney mark.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome finds! Great coins nice buttons! Congrats and hh

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh wow, this is an incredible haul, Art! The coins are great, but I just love the moon button and the flower fancy button is one of the prettiest I've seen! Congrats! -Lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread