My very first silver coin! 1899 Barber Half Dollar!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap, I am excited! I usually get out detecting every other day for a few hours and several hours in the morning on Saturday and Sunday. I guess I've been detecting pretty regularly for about six months, and have made some great finds, but I have been dying to dig a silver coin.
Well, today I finally did!

Hit a new spot with a whole bunch of crumbling building foundations. Boy, is it trashy! I spent the first couple hours digging iffy high and mid tones, and mostly came up with copper wire and heavily corroded nails. I was making my way back to the car, sweeping right along side an old foundation, and I got a rare solid high tone right about 95. I thought for sure it was another nail. I about loaded my pants when I saw the black coin pop out of the ground! I knew it was good!

I wanted to clean it up a bit without scratching it, so I lightly washed it in a nearby puddle. The black junk started coming right off. Wow! What a find. I am very happy! I have a feeling I'm onto a good location. Thanks for looking!

20160930_124018.jpg
20160930_124040.jpg
20160930_125205.jpg
20160930_125213.jpg

Upvote 40

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to break into the silver, big congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell of a 1st!, congrats! !

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats one of the few silver coins I have yet to find that I should be able to and you go and make it your first. Congrats

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a terrific FIRST SILVER - Congratulations! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, excellent results! Congratualtions on the nice silver. :occasion14:

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that's awesome. I've never dug a Barber, though I want to really badly. I just think they look really REALLY cool. Nice one!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow - first silver is a big moment in this hobby, and that's a pretty great way to start (and pre-1900 silver as a bonus)! I'm still looking for my first Barber, and you score one right out of the gate - Congrats!

Last edited:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First silver, pre 1900, and a half - wow

Would you kindly pick my lottery #'s? :notworthy:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great first silver! It's a very special find for you. Take care of it, you'll be glad you did.

On a side note, going forward, try to resist that damnable urge to KNOW what it is as soon as you dig it. Every single experienced hunter here can tell you horror stories about that one item they found that they absolutely destroyed, just because they HAD to know! LOL

I'm glad you found some water to at least keep it from scratching as much. But, even water can cause some dug items to deteriorate in your hands.

You're off to a flying start! Good job!

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW what a beauty. Congrats on your first silver and a Barber half dollar at that. I bet your cheeks are hurting from all that smiling. Sounds like you got a good spot.
I've been at it since May and have yet to find mine. I found a 1942 war nickle but I'm not counting it. HH

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuttin' like starting at the top of the list and workin' down to a rotted Zincoln. my only halves---a Ben & 5 clad Kens:icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job man. If you're willing to pick through the trash you will certainly make some great finds. Just a tip here but lemon juice will help with the super dark toning on old silver. Just don't go too far and make it super shiny.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's quite a coin for your first silver- Huge Congrats!! May you find many more!

-- Jeff --

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first silver. What a nice one too! From your post and others in the past I'm thinking we should all go back to the car every twenty minutes.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!....
I need to find a Barber Half...like desperately.

Maybe tomorrow.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread