Finished Fan's Roman Site - Roman Silver & GOLD HAMMERED!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First picture with the 6 buttons & 6 scrappies was Cru'Dad's hunt from yesterday confirming a new Roman Site on a new farm. Only a small deal, not a great site but will need further investigation.

Now onto today, what can I say.:wav:

Started the morning with my first run, first dig being a stunning Roman Silver, first from Fan's Site. Thought that was our kiss of death. But I got 2 more debased ones as well.
For completeness we gridded the very edge in an area where no Roman Coins come out & Cru'Dad makes his funny noises that I can only take to be a Gold Coin. Running back, as I'm always in the lead, I'm shouting 'Celtic Gold'....'No' he says. Well I'm thinking not a Roman Gold (never had one) so shout that out....'No'....I can't guess anymore because Hammered Gold is so far from my mind in this area (we get next to no Medieval) I just gave up.:notworthy: So he now evens the score with 2 Gold Hammereds each.

16 Scrappies
Nice Roman Fibula (1st C AD)
Part of a Roman Bracelet
Late Medieval Leather Mount
Mystery Roman Hollow thing
3 Roman Silver - Sep Sev, Gallienus, & Vespasian AD68-69 8-)
Gold Quarter Noble 1413-22 of Henry V.:headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 54

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it curious that you said you don't participate in the U.K. forums. Any reason for that? I would think it would be neat to see what other guys in the area are doing.

The main reason is, this is the first forum I joined. I didn't really think it was my thing at the time but all these years later.......I have no time to participate in more than 1 forum.

Last edited:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finished Fan's Roman Site - Roman Silver & GOLD HAMMERED!

I think the first two sentences in your first paragraph were sufficient. The third, not so much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the first two sentences in your first paragraph were sufficient. The third, not so much.

Strange that the one thing you took from my lengthy explanation was that I'm not on a UK Forum, you think that's odd, I think your questions odder...lol
As far as I'm aware this is a world wide site & I wouldn't have made friends with a German(Westfront) on a UK Forum. (To name just one)

PS. Deleted the sarcastic bit you didn't like so much.

Last edited:

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds.
Congrats are in order!!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strange that the one thing you took from my lengthy explanation was that I'm not on a UK Forum, you think that's odd, I think your questions odder...lol
As far as I'm aware this is a world wide site & I wouldn't have made friends with a German(Westfront) on a UK Forum. (To name just one)

PS. Deleted the sarcastic bit you didn't like so much.

I learned a lot from your explanation, and gained more respect than ever for your finds. In fact, I read it to my wife to show her how much effort some people put into detecting. I wish I had the same time, skill and focus that you do, but as you point out time is finite. It is what it is. You're in the arguably the richest detecting area in the world (in my limited knowledge), you love the hobby and your knowledge is limitless. Why would it be unusual or offensive to ask why you don't participate in a regional forum? I've never been on those sites and I thought there might be a reason that I hadn't thought of. Maybe over there the guys are weird, the forums are boring, the mods are mean, or there is nothing left to learn from the other detectorists. I love seeing the stuff the guys around me in New England are digging - very motivating and informative. I get a lot from that. And who said you shouldn't be on here? Did I say you had to pick one forum and weren't welcome here? Not sure where that came from. You have just as much right as I do to be here, and frankly I would never have learned all that you have brought to the forum if you weren't. Are we done with this one?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned a lot from your explanation, and gained more respect than ever for your finds. In fact, I read it to my wife to show her how much effort some people put into detecting. I wish I had the same time, skill and focus that you do, but as you point out time is finite. It is what it is. You're in the arguably the richest detecting area in the world (in my limited knowledge), you love the hobby and your knowledge is limitless. Why would it be unusual or offensive to ask why you don't participate in a regional forum? I've never been on those sites and I thought there might be a reason that I hadn't thought of. Maybe over there the guys are weird, the forums are boring, the mods are mean, or there is nothing left to learn from the other detectorists. I love seeing the stuff the guys around me in New England are digging - very motivating and informative. I get a lot from that. And who said you shouldn't be on here? Did I say you had to pick one forum and weren't welcome here? Not sure where that came from. You have just as much right as I do to be here, and frankly I would never have learned all that you have brought to the forum if you weren't. Are we done with this one?
It mainly came from the fact I only have time for 1 forum, & this just happened to be the one I picked. I know others are on multiple forums but that's just too much effort/time for me. I know many local detectorist, & many of them are not on forums & like I say, I surprised myself with it, as I'm not interested in technology in the same way the younger guys are. I still refuse to get a mobile phone.
The obsessive level we take it is most likely part of my high functioning Asperger's, which also accounts for some of my off-the-wall comments. I believe its given me more strengths that weakness, & I never liked spelling away.:thumbsup:
Thank you for the above explanation, it clears things up in my mind, I couldn't work out where you were coming from & the point of it.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold you and your dad find....just incredible!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again nice finds you two!:angel3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread