Today’s hunt had a “silver” lining

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Thought I would post a rainy Saturday hunt.

I was looking forward to the weekend to do a little digging, but the “Rain Gods” had other plans. We do need the rain in Massachusetts to make our digging easier :BangHead:, oh; I mean to water the plants :laughing7:. So the day is moving on an Accuweather isn’t showing me want I wanted to see. As I looked through the hourly forecast, a brief window appeared to be opening between 2:00 pm — 4:00 pm, with around a 50% chance of rain. At 1:40pm out the door I went to one of my trashiest parks, it was still drizzling. Many people have detected it over the years, but their visit is usually short and for one time. The park is very old and modern trash does significantly slow the detecting, but once you understand how to hunt the area you can usually get a keeper or two with each trip. This was no different. After about 2 hours of wet (accuweather lied) detecting my pouch had a late 1800’s button, a few modern buttons and a small handful of modern clad coins. I did find one silver item; a well worn 1919 Mercury dime about 10” down. I was very happy to rescue the fine lady and let her once again see the light of day.

GL & HH

Doc
CAM00763.jpg

Upvote 19

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!!!! my forecast here in Mich rain so I stayed home NO RAIN EHHHHH got the honey do s happy spouse happy house They must have had bad thread back in the day seems everyone finds an old button nice job glad you got out !!!Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Trapperart,

The coin is well worn, no mint mark can be seen.

Doc

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post. Congrats on the silver! HH

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doc--it feels like it's been raining here in Mass for weeks! But I have to say--we always have better luck detecting on wet and overcast days. Congrats on your cool finds! -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Against the wind,

I'm leaving now, not raining and low wind! :icon_thumright:

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Merc at 10". :occasion14: What detector were you swinging Doc?

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger,

On This hunt I brought the Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT Pro and the Tesoro Tejon. The dime was found with the Garrett AT Pro (stock coil); the only waterproof detector of the three. The machine gave only a one-way high tone with an occasional VID flash. The ground was wet and I was digging fairly deep stuff. I decided to dig, it just sounded "good" if you know what I mean.

Regards,

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Loco-Digger,

On This hunt I brought the Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT Pro and the Tesoro Tejon. The dime was found with the Garrett AT Pro (stock coil); the only waterproof detector of the three. The machine gave only a one-way high tone with an occasional VID flash. The ground was wet and I was digging fairly deep stuff. I decided to dig, it just sounded "good" if you know what I mean.

Regards,

Doc

I know what you mean, many iffy signals pay off. I was thinking you were swinging the Explorer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver and button finds! Congrats Professor!

Ya, how often do they get it wrong on the weather forcast!
I haven't made it out detecting the past 3 weekends, 1 because of rain, 2 because of ankle problems. Claw marks are mystetiously starting to appear on the walls....:D

I have a theory about the weird signals from good targets, and ground moisture.
We have had some rain, but the ground down where the coins are is still not saturated so the reading is not as strong as it would be in really moist soil.

When we were in the middle of the drought, i was getting better readings from deeper coins (where the soil still had more moisture) than shallow coins, in dryer soil, even though they were closer.

What say you?

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello MsBeepBeep,

Did you find your machine ground balanced lower?

The problem is a bit more complicated and based on many factors, such as ground matrix, soil moister, sensitivity, co-related targets, discrimination...etc.

That is why this hobby is so cool, every time you hunt you (operator) must determine was is the correct settings, coil, swing speed...etc. to find the goodies. This puzzle is one of the reasons I love detecting, always something new.

Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread