🥇 BANNER XIII French Briquette Sword (Napoleonic Era)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
XIII French Briquet Sword (Napoleonic Era)

Dug this amazing relic Saturday. It's my understanding that the South traded cotton for these so they were commonly carried by confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Other CW relics have surfaced in the general area so its not out of the realm of possibilities that this very sword was carried by a rebel soldier. I also dug a piece that fits and is likely a piece of the knuckle guard. I will be returning to try to find more pieces as they would have the markings to get a definitive date.
Here's a short video-

Here are pictures of the sword handle after dug and then cleaned.
IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

This is an un dug example-
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 76

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shanegalang,
There are 26 ribs on the grip. Note, there is a molded line just above and below the ribs that I did not count as ribs. They are squared off where as the ribs are rounded.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this amazing relic Saturday. It's my understanding that the South traded cotton for these so they were commonly carried by confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Other CW relics have surfaced in the general area so its not out of the realm of possibilities that this very sword was carried by a rebel soldier. I also dug a piece that fits and is likely a piece of the knuckle guard. I will be returning to try to find more pieces as they would have the markings to get a definitive date.
Here's a short video-

View attachment 1366137 View attachment 1366138

View attachment 1366229

OH YEAH!!!! WTG!!
That my friend (as you already know) is a VERY desirable Find.
GL on finding more pieces but even if you don't , A Break Dance is in order, 'Break out the Cardboard'!!!!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat piece of history. I bet it saw allot of action. Congratulations

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Shanegalang,
There are 26 ribs on the grip. Note, there is a molded line just above and below the ribs that I did not count as ribs. They are squared off where as the ribs are rounded.
This one has 28 and is the correct amount for a 1813 French. I got the information from the experts at swordforum.com

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Historic Relic recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shane that is amazing!congrats on the banner find!

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a short video-
[video]https://youtu.be/8lpD9PFq_HA[/vid

View attachment 1366137 View attachment 1366138

View attachment 1366229

Shanegalang i was lucky enough to find a complete one in my house in France its a Briquet sabre(french for lighter) nicknamed after the shape of his guard who look like a lighter from the era mine is in perfect condition and was hidden behind a timber under the roof.....the scabbard was made of leather and brass mine was ready to be put back in action on the blade you can read:

MANFUFACTURE ROYALE D ARMES DE CHATELLERAULT.......they were used like machete i have been told ........more than for real close combat

Once again congrats

RR

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Shanegalang i was lucky enough to find a complete one in my house in France its a Briquet sabre(french for lighter) nicknamed after the shape of his guard who look like a lighter from the era mine is in perfect condition and was hidden behind a timber under the roof.....the scabbard was made of leather and brass mine was ready to be put back in action on the blade you can read:

MANFUFACTURE ROYALE D ARMES DE CHATELLERAULT.......they were used like machete i have been told ........more than for real close combat

Once again congrats

RR

It was found in a sugar cane field. Makes me wonder if someone was cutting cane with it. Will never know. Can you post a picture of yours? I would love to see it and the scabbard as well! Cheers, Shane

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Stellar find Shane! Sword relics are really cool but they just don't turn up very often. That one-piece grip you posted is a beauty. Several years back I found a grip to a model 1767 Grenadier Briquet that turned up here in Maryland.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...renadiers-sword-grip-american-revolution.html

Its terrific that the pommel appears intact on your grip and that you also found a piece of the guard. Hopefully more pieces will turn up nearby. It sure makes me wonder how your sword ended up where it was, and what life it lived. With my sword grip I concluded that after its service in the American Revolution, the sword was taken back home by a veteran and used for many years around the farm. It was eventually relegated to the trash pit and that's where I found it. I figure the pommel (found nearby) had broken off under the weight of something heavy, perhaps a horse, after the sword was trashed.

View attachment 1369250 View attachment 1369252
Re visiting this. What an interesting post. Than k you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread