Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, you know that they have always had some big Surfing Competition in Virginia. Especially Virginia Beach.
Congrats on a cool find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool, you know that the have some big Surfing Competitionso in Virginia. Especially Virginia Beach.
Congrats on a cool find.
thanks. was thinking about that. i am across the bay from VA beach. this was out in the woods. but, u can tell it broke off the necklace someone was wearing. you just never know what you are going to dig up.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Big Daddy Roth designed Surfers Cross.... 1965- 66 8-) RIP Big Daddy ... here is a Wikimedia .... The Surfer's Cross is used by surfers as a talisman to distinguish the surfer from the rest of society. Its origins are in 1960s surf culture and the most common design is based on a German Iron Cross and features a surfer on a board in the middle of the front side of the cross. The German military decoration was co-opted because young surfers would wear their fathers' war trophies as an anti-establishment statement; eventually, the genuine Iron Cross was replaced by one manufactured for that purpose. The famous custom car designer Ed "Big Daddy" Roth sold various "surfer accessories" in the 1960s that were based on WW 2 German items, like his "surfer's helmet" that is a plastic copy of a German helmet and he also manufactured his own Surfer's Cross. By 1966 Roth claimed to have sold 51,800 crosses and "that Hitler did a hell of a public relations job for me."

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a Big Daddy Roth designed Surfers Cross.... 1965- 66 8-) RIP Big Daddy ...

i read that Wikepedia last night. u think this is an ACTUALY, or could it be a copy? maybe it has to be actual bec of copyright or whatever, very cool if it is. mine is the actual just like the pic in wikepedia article, so wondering if it is an original.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i read that Wikepedia last night. u think this is an ACTUALY, or could it be a copy? maybe it has to be actual bec of copyright or whatever, very cool if it is. mine is the actual just like the pic in wikepedia article, so wondering if it is an original.

I would bet my money on ................. "Original " Nice 60's piece !

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would bet my money on ................. "Original " Nice 60's piece !

that's my thinking also. very cool piece then. friend said i should sell it. no way. i dont sell stuff, unless I found some crazy expensive coin. lol. thanks for commenting.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Inever saw one like that before. Neat find.

thanks man! did not realize how neat until I got home. was just like, damn, not a silver war bullet. lol

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! strange for that to be out in the woods! :dontknow:
Wow! does that bring back memories! Had several in the 60s. You just weren't cool if you weren't wearing one. Not so strange finding it in the woods since the owner more than likely ate, slept, and drank with it on. Seems to be in nice shape since all the ones I've seen were cast from junk metal. Nice find!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know... Pretty cool find. Congrats!

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! does that bring back memories! Had several in the 60s. You just weren't cool if you weren't wearing one. Not so strange finding it in the woods since the owner more than likely ate, slept, and drank with it on. Seems to be in nice shape since all the ones I've seen were cast from junk metal. Nice find!

it seems pretty solid. i could clean it up, but no way i want to get into all that work. lol. so, i keep my finds AS IS for the most part. my buddy was in and he could not remember anything, so was no help. lol. thanks for commenting.

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks!!! i thought so also!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems pretty solid. i could clean it up, but no way i want to get into all that work. lol. so, i keep my finds AS IS for the most part. my buddy was in and he could not remember anything, so was no help. lol. thanks for commenting.
Could be it was a West Coast thing since I can't remember seeing them in other parts of the U.S. I took a handful back to Tennessee after everyone seemed to want one. Would wear one and when they wanted it I'd say $50 and come up with a bs story my girlfriend back in Cali gave it to me. walk a couple blocks and pull another out of my back pocket and out it on.:laughing7:

Man! I'm really astonished I remember this since the 60s & most of the 70s were a fuzzy blur.:tongue3::laughing7:

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could be it was a West Coast thing since I can't remember seeing them in other parts of the U.S. I took a handful back to Tennessee after everyone seemed to want one. Would wear one and when they wanted it I'd say $50 and come up with a bs story my girlfriend back in Cali gave it to me. walk a couple blocks and pull another out of my back pocket and out it on.:laughing7:

Man! I'm really astonished I remember this since the 60s & most of the 70s were a fuzzy blur.:tongue3::laughing7:

great story. i bet everyone had to have one back then. great. so, we have established it is a 60s or 70s thing. do you recall what it was made of? should try to start something like that again and make a mint! i worked in myrtle beach every summer in college. every year it was something, usually some saying on a shirt and everyone had to have one. remember the 'can't touch this' T the most. sick. also, panama beach sunscreen and everyone had to have the T shirt.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones I had were always cheap metal close to the stuff they use for those tin soldier type figures. I saw one at a antique shop about 8 years ago that was brass, and all the plating was gone. The other fad of the time was to have the super cool black frame shades and half a bottle of zinc ointment or calamine lotion on your nose. OH! don't forget to slather on the Hawaiian Tropic NEVER Copper Tone! Copper Tone is for tourists!!
It would be cool to bring em back if you could find one with good enough detail or knew someone that could carve wax. Good memories!!!

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, i notice it can bend if I try, but I dont want to break it. it's brittle. been in the ground a LONG time I assume. such a cool find. i had not idea when I dug it. panama jack was a BIG deal for a few years. working myrtle beach in the summers was the best. i really had a good time down there every summer. made money and had an absolute blast. if i could go back in time... :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread