Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check out this vintage (have read anywhere from 50's to 70's) Boy Scout of American Neckerchief Slide I dug.

Moderator: did not dig this today, but a few days ago. was not sure where to post. feel free to move it to the 'right' place if you like.

Anyone with info, please post. It is rather dirty, but I like to leave my finds pretty much as found.

I washed the dirt/mud out. When I dug it, thought it was a smashed ring of some sort.

bsa-mine.jpg

Upvote 9

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you found a Webelos neck slide....they were the intermediate program between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Actually, since there were fewer Webelos troops formed, they are somewhat more scarce than BSA or Cub Scout slides. Don't know about the age, but I remember seeing those in the 1970s, when, uhhh....well, let's just say I saw those after I got OUT of Scouting. Being old sometimes helps..

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe you found a Webelos neck slide....they were the intermediate program between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. Actually, since there were fewer Webelos troops formed, they are somewhat more scarce than BSA or Cub Scout slides. Don't know about the age, but I remember seeing those in the 1970s, when, uhhh....well, let's just say I saw those after I got OUT of Scouting. Being old sometimes helps..

thanks for the post. everything i see with weblos logo is the corn thing. i see this logo with the boy scouts. again, i am no expert, why I am asking. maybe others can weigh in on this also. i am open to anything. better if it is more rare like you say. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Cub Scout Neckerchief Slide. Webelos Neckerchief Slide
Don.......

thanks. what i thought. boy scout is/was the lion looking animal and the webelos, the corn. thanks for posting.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It for sure is a CUB SCOUT WOLF slide. There are ways to tell if it is older or newer. Does it have screws or rivets holding the back on or is it bent over tabs?

There was a Wolf slide, a Tiger, and a Bear slide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It for sure is a CUB SCOUT WOLF slide. There are ways to tell if it is older or newer. Does it have screws or rivets holding the back on or is it bent over tabs?

it has bent over tabs, so old I assume. how are you sure cub vs. boy scout. everything i search is corn for cub scouts and the lion for boy scouts, or whatever it is. lol

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
it has bent over tabs, so old I assume. how are you sure cub vs. boy scout. everything i search is corn for cub scouts and the lion for boy scouts, or whatever it is. lol

Bent over tabs are newer. I am POSITIVE it is the Cub Scout slide. I have found well over 50 slides.

The Boy Scout slide has an eagle in the middle.

For Cub Scouts you have a Wolf, Tiger and Bear slide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bent over tabs are newer. I am POSITIVE it is the Cub Scout slide. I have found well over 50 slides.

The Boy Scout slide has an eagle in the middle.

wow, newer? how new? how are you positive? i believe you found that many, but that does not necessarily validate that this is cub scout. i cant seem to come to that conclusion when i search online. not being picky, just wondering.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sold 5 on EBAY for $3-$5 each--make it pretty but keep the patina

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

i am old also. not that old though. lol. old enough to know better, but still young enough to chance it anyway. thanks for the information. i am more concerned about the approx age, as i am in any find. read 50's, also read 70's.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I understand that you are questioning and it is fine. A Boy Scout would NOT want to be caught with a Cub Scout slide. When they advanced the Cub Scout stuff was history. I think that would be like being in high school carrying an elementary school math book. The Wolf slide had no place on a Boy Scout uniform.

Search results for: 'wolf slide'

Here is an official page with the Wolf, Bear and Tiger CUB SCOUT badges. It also has the Boy Scout Badge with the eagle in the center.

I do know the older ones were quality. HOWEVER, I don't have a date when they went from rivets or screws holding the back loop on to just bent over tabs. However, you can still buy them with bent over tabs and the older ones are not made anymore.

I do know that at the old camps I have been searching and pulling silver coins out of, none of the slides I have found have bent tabs. I am guessing your slide is newer than the 1960's. HOWEVER, that is an educated guess and not gospel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I understand that you are questioning and it is fine.

Search results for: 'wolf slide'

Here is an official page with the Wolf, Bear and Tiger CUB SCOUT badges. It also has the Boy Scout Badge with the eagle in the center.

I do know the older ones were quality. HOWEVER, I don't have a date when they went from rivets or screws holding the back loop on to just bent over tabs. However, you can still buy them with bent over tabs and the older ones are not made anymore.

thanks, this is great information. why we are on this web site/program. i really appreciate the info. you have helped a bunch! i thought it was a smashed ring when i dug it. someday it is going to be a silver coin!!!!!!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I defer to other, younger and more intelligent Scout scholars...I retract my identification, and happily concur with the above opinions re. Cub Scout...
Getting old sucks sox...

OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I defer to other, younger and more intelligent Scout scholars...I retract my identification, and happily concur with the above opinions re. Cub Scout...
Getting old sucks sox...
hold off, you never know. this is one of the great aspects of the hobby, figuring out what we have dug, once we have dug it! keeps us busy when not digging!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are just a few that I've dug over the years..

Attachments

• 4913 007.jpg
    4913 007.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 4913 008.jpg
    4913 008.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 41313 015.jpg
    41313 015.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 4913 010.jpg
    4913 010.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 343
OP
OP
Rogue Relic Hunter

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are just a few that I've dug over the years..

VERY NICE! last one on right is same as the one I dug. any idea how old? does it have the tabs that come together on the back?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY NICE! last one on right is same as the one I dug. any idea how old? does it have the tabs that come together on the back?

I had to go look! Here are the backs of the ones I pictured originally. One of the Boy Scout slides has the antique back, the others - including the Cub scout, has the fold overs.

Attachments

• IMG_20161006_145125.jpg
    IMG_20161006_145125.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20161006_145129.jpg
    IMG_20161006_145129.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20161006_145133.jpg
    IMG_20161006_145133.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 96

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread