If not hammered silver...then what? 1683 Mass property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi gang, I'm at John's doing some relic cleaning for him while he and my husband work on some plumbing in this ancient place. I'm really mystified by this silver disc or coin or??. I cleaned it up a bit more and measured it to the New England threepence, and it is a hair smaller than the photo in the book, but this is also a very worn piece. It looks like there is a Roman numeral I on it that could match up to one of the Roman numerals on the threepence. Yes, I know, probably wishful thinking, and I have attached photos to show you what I'm talking about. But I guess my question is, if this is not hammered silver, what the heck is it? Something for all of us to ponder. Hope you enjoy your Sunday. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• IMG_1368.JPG
    IMG_1368.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Upvote 3

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, there is really nothing there to work with. I can see what you're saying, but it looks to me like wishful thinking. My first thought would be to measure the diameter and get the weight of the coin and see what that would match up to, starting with Spanish silver.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya, David, I know--wishful thinking. but it sure would be nice to know what this thing is. Thanks for looking. -L&J

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check if it the size of a Will III Sixpence.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any sign of the "NE" on the reverse??

Hi Seek, I flipped the coin over in the exact position from where it was lined up with the Roman numerals, and put it where it would have matched up with the NE. Of course, it's so worn I can't make out anything, but where the lettering would be, is where all of the hammering marks are on this coin. Again, coincidence for sure, but still interesting. I added a photo to the original post of what I'm talking about. Thanks, Lisa

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check if it the size of a Will III Sixpence.

Thanks, Cru, I'll check out that coin online. This one is 14 mm, but probably used to be 15 mm. -Lisa

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa I believe you would likely at least see remnants of the square that contains the Roman numerals. That coin would drive me crazy as well

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lisa I believe you would likely at least see remnants of the square that contains the Roman numerals. That coin would drive me crazy as well

Ya, Abe, this one will remain a mystery! Thanks for looking. -L&J

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I still think it's milled, due to the roundness and even edge. Britain had early milled silver, check Cru's suggestion.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still think it's milled, due to the roundness and even edge. Britain had early milled silver, check Cru's suggestion.

Thanks, Scrappy. I checked the coin Cru mentioned, and it's like 6 mm bigger than ours. I'll try to match it up to some international coins, and then--it likely will go back into the mystery pile!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure hope you figure out the mystery coin. John lives in a very special place. GL & HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Cru, I'll check out that coin online. This one is 14 mm, but probably used to be 15 mm. -Lisa

14mm is tiny, can't really be British at that size, so start with Spanish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread