Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow diggers

My first colonial silver spill! I've been keeping a low profile and just enjoying the things I've found, but had to share this as it is the kind of thing that gets me stoked to keep at it. Got out along a river bank I knew had some history, but I'd been waiting all summer for the frost to make accessible. 10 minutes in I dug these: 177? Carlos III 1/2 real, 1787 Carlos III 1/2 real (holed), 1794 Carlos IIII 1 real. The only reverse with enough information to identify is the 1787, with an "M" at 11 o'clock indicating Mariano Rodriguez, co-assayer at the Mexico city mint from 1783-1807. If anyone else can give more info, please share.

The 1 real came first, then the 1787. After the second recovery when I heard that there was more silver in the hole, I stopped for a few minutes to come back to earth. I did hope that the third silver would be early US...not to be today, but I can't complain.
after found.JPG obverses.JPG reverses.JPG

This makes 5 Spanish for the year. I'm happy!
all spanish.JPG
Cheers, good luck this fall to everyone

Upvote 39

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one hell of a spill! Great job!

Thanks Aureus

Very nice of you, Cru. Thank you

Fantastic Spanish spill Ken! I've had a few 2 silver spills but never a 3. Congrats on a great year for those hard to find coins. 5 in a season is very impressive....and the best part of the season is just upon us. I hope you knock down a few more

Thanks Abe. Good luck out there.

Congrats on digging that dream spill. :occasion14: Hope you were able to sleep last night.

Thanks Kevin. Plugged back into T-net, I stayed up too late. But at least there is coffee and a federal holiday to compensate. : )

Very cool find, you never know when it's going to be "your day".
Congrats!

This is such a weird hobby that way, isn't it? The fun thing was that I had watched The Goonies with our youngest the day before. So I was primed for treasure!

Simply amazing....3 Spanish silvers in one hole. Wow!

Thank you, Mr. Digger

Congrats on a epic silver spill. I have dug tens of thousands of holes, with zero Spanish coins... you dig one hole and get three! WOW.

You are getting closer with every hole! Thanks Tom, hoping you pull one sooner rather than later.

You're killing it Ken. :headbang: The feeling of all those coming out of the same plug had to be incredible. I've done the pause, to enjoy the moment, before continuing to remove targets. Awesome job man and glad to see you've been getting out. Its really great to read another post from you.

Thanks, Brad. Very kind of you. I tend to drop off the radar and stay off this site for stretches to keep things in balance, but I still wish you well and know you are doing great work. BTW, when are you going to stop messing around and get that doctorate in archaeological conservation?? :laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish silver spill. Those don't come up very often.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Spanish silver spill. Those don't come up very often.

Thanks Steve. There were just a couple of t-net precedents in my head when I was poised to dig the third coin, and your spanish/US banner combo was seriously one of them. I was sooooo hoping for a turn of the century draped silver!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a silver spill! Big congrats

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much left to say, except congratulations on a Great find.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMNIT MAN!!!!!!! I know the feeling of finding 1 ( my ONLY 1 ). I was on cloud 9 for a week. Finding 3 in one hole, I wouldn't need shoes for a month!!!!! BIG CONGRATZ......

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find. Amazing, 3 in one hole. Congratulations to you and I'm glad your hard work has paid off

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Spanish silver spill! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a silver spill! Big congrats

Thanks J. Cache!

Spanish coin spill :thumbsup: now that gets the blood pumping for sure. Thanks for sharing
Thanks VMI, I appreciate it

Not much left to say, except congratulations on a Great find.
Thank you, Tom, good luck to you

DAMNIT MAN!!!!!!! I know the feeling of finding 1 ( my ONLY 1 ). I was on cloud 9 for a week. Finding 3 in one hole, I wouldn't need shoes for a month!!!!! BIG CONGRATZ......
Ha ha, your comment gets to why it is fun to share this kind of stuff. Thanks for the exuberance, Fishtick

That is insane good!! Congrats.
Funny how it works sometimes, Thanks TCK

That's a fantastic find. Amazing, 3 in one hole. Congratulations to you and I'm glad your hard work has paid off
Very nice of you to say. We have a funny hobby, but when it comes together it sure beats the heck out of golf. : )

Congratualtions on the Spanish silver spill! :notworthy:
Thanks Doc!

Oh my....What a wonderful, wonderful find. Huge Congrats!!!!!
Thanks Silvermonkey. Hope you are getting some fall colors down there and enjoying being out

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Final note: today the landowners wanted me to keep all three and refused any compensation for them, and were genuinely excited to just learn about the history of Spanish silver in the colonies and early America...they hadn't a clue, and were wonderfully astonished to learn a bit of that history from objects dug on a remote part of their own land. I enjoyed that so much.
Thanks for the nice comments everyone, good luck and HH out there

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very very nice! I would love to find a spill like that.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very very nice! I would love to find a spill like that.

Thanks Calabash, with the year you've had I wouldn't rule it out. And looks like you found my elusive Vermont Copper, what the heck! : )

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome!!!! Great Spanish silver!!! Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions