Ring? A New First For Us--Coin! 1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello friends,

John fit in a couple of hours of detecting today and uncovered his first flying eagle cent, 1858! He also found a pretty nice IH penny, 1864. Lastly, he found what we think is a small ring, although we're not sure. We think it's made of brass, but strangely, it was welded together with gold. Can't explain this one, pretty bizarre! Also posting our 1775 #5 Grand Army Mass Militia button because I finally had a chance to do the Elmer's Glue preservation on it! Solid button and came out great. Thanks to our TNet friends for that preservation advice. Hope you all had a great day. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
Upvote 15

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTJ2...awesome finds! Love the flying eagle, very nice...the brass rings were popular in that era, and usually home made such as yours, I found a nice brass band at one of my farm sites and gave it to the owner..thx for sharing! Ddf

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTJ2...awesome finds! Love the flying eagle, very nice...the brass rings were popular in that era, and usually home made such as yours, I found a nice brass band at one of my farm sites and gave it to the owner..thx for sharing! Ddf

Thanks, ddf! Bizarre about that little gold weld though, isn't it?? Good to know that this is a ring--we're never sure about these things! ~L&J

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great finds! I think you've got a homemade ring. I've found several similar rings made of copper. The giveaway in the solder seam where it was intentionally sized. From what I've read, in the 17th and early 18th century, copper and brass were the poor man's gold and was used widely in jewelry making.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All great finds! I think you've got a homemade ring. I've found several similar rings made of copper. The giveaway in the solder seam where it was intentionally sized. From what I've read, in the 17th and early 18th century, copper and brass were the poor man's gold and was used widely in jewelry making.

Very cool, Tommy, thanks. But isn't it weird that the solder mark is gold? ~L&J

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, ddf! Bizarre about that little gold weld though, isn't it?? Good to know that this is a ring--we're never sure about these things! ~L&J

Lisa, are you positive that the weld is gold? It could possibly have been brazed...with a copper or brass or combination of both, and looking like gold...just a thought! Ddf

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lisa, are you positive that the weld is gold? It could possibly have been brazed...with a copper or brass or combination of both, and looking like gold...just a thought! Ddf

Ddf...it shines just like gold...but, no, I'm not positive. ;-) We have to get one of those gold detector thingies. Thanks, ~L

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the flying Eagle cent! :occasion14:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, Tommy, thanks. But isn't it weird that the solder mark is gold? ~L&J

Not really. Only a scrap would be required, and in this case the maker was most likely trying to match the color of the brass and gold has a lower melting point, much easier to work with.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not really. Only a scrap would be required, and in this case the maker was most likely trying to match the color of the brass and gold has a lower melting point, much easier to work with.

Brilliant! Thanks Tommy. -L&J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions