Gaining In the Rain!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Boy Did I ever get wet today! The skies opened up and the deluge did fall. Today was hunt number FIVE in thee days! I'm Definitely getting my fix this week! And it felt Great! A Buddy of mine from work, and perhaps a future member of Tnet got his new detector delivered today. So we met at the big ball field complex park in his town.. Richmond Kentucky. The same park I visited Sunday after the State Park Ranger informed me that I was not allowed to hunt on the State Park grounds.. <grimace> Anyway. We met at this park and commenced to swinging. Me with My Prizm IV and my Buddy with his White's model 5 ID..or is it ID 5 ?? anyway, it's a nice machine. It's too different from mine for me to have been any help with him in getting the feel for the detector. Oh it DOES work, but there's still a bit of a learning curve for any new machine. I know that from my own experiences with my Prizm IV..hell I'm STILL learning! <grin>
So we're tooling along, and we're BOTH learning.. and digging lots of targets.. mostly pull tabs. <side note> I know that you can find pull tabs EVERYWHERE.. but this place had more than usual.
If I dig or dug a pull tab, I keep it.. if I find one on the surface, I pick it up (if I'm already down on my knees) towards the end of the day though it's hard to bend over just for a pull tab. That's when it's time to call it a day.
We were getting some pretty good targets and actually finding some coins when this rain storm of biblical proportions sweeps through the area.. at first it was a light sprinkle, then followed by a heavy rain.. then a downpour... then cats and dogs.. small frogs and even some fish I think.. it was HEAVY! Fortunately, even though we were already soaked, we found a shelter and got out of the heaviest of the rainfall. And Fortunately, the rain moved on almost as fast as it sneaked up on us. My Buddy and I went back to detecting, in the now very moistened grass and dirt. Sheesh! With all that water that just fell from the sky, the ground was only wet down to about an inch and a half! under that it was hardpacked and dry as a bone.
I think the abundance of pull tabs and all that stooping and digging caught up with my buddy. Then again, it may have been the wet clothes getting uncomfortable.. or hunger. <smile> Anyway, he called it a day and went home to dry out, feed up, and maybe read some more about his new machine. I opted to stay a while longer. I'm glad I did! When my buddy left, I had a little over $3.oo in coins in my pouch.. then I started getting targets as fast as I could dig them. I guess all that rain certainly made it easier for my Prizm to pick up the targets in the ground. I know the digging got a LOT easier. <laughing> Well, the half hour went by, then an hour, and then another hour or so.. before I got this cramp in my stomach. HUNGER! I looked at my watch and it was pushing 6:00PM.. I'd been detecting for nearly 5 hours or so. And having a ball for the most part! I got back to my truck and was putting away my detector, and taking my gear off when I noticed that my find pouch was pretty full. LOTS of pull tabs, some other trash, a battery, a Chucky Cheese Token.. and $10.28 in coins! WEEEEE!
Oh yeah.. and the one find that was driving me nuts! I had a target pop up on my detectors screen as either a quarter or a half dollar.. it kept jumping back and forth between the two. I pinpointed it and figured it might be a couple of quarters or even a quarter and a dime.. that's happened before..but when I dug my hole, I didn't see anything. My Bullseye said YES!!! there is something there.. my Prizm IV said YES!!! there is something there.. but even sifting out all the dirt with my fingers I couldn't find any coins... lots of gravel and roots and dirt.. wait... Gravel??? I ran the bullseye over the rocks and one of them was HOT! turns out that it's not rock, but a melted piece of aluminum.. like a nugget. <rolling eyes> Yeah, I kept that one.
All told I found 34 Quarters
13 Dimes
2 Nickles
38 pennies

87 coins (not counting the token)

for $10.28

COins and junk combined I had over 200 targets that I dug. WHAT A DAY!

July10th 001.jpg

July10th 002.jpg

July10th 004.jpg

July10th 003.jpg

Happy Hunting All!

Frodov

Upvote 1

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Great digs and post Frov ;D We have had three severe thunderstorms roll in after 2 pm today ! Sounds like you were describing what took place here !! Rain, Wind and lighting like you would not believe :o :o

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Way to go on the finds! The rain has finally left us for now, but things are still flooded. Keep up the good work!

MissyW72

Jun 25, 2007
Houston
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Great finds!!!

piggman1 said:
Way to go on the finds! The rain has finally left us for now, but things are still flooded. Keep up the good work!

Yes, it is flooded here too. Raining has stopped but now the temps are getting closer to 100 as usual for summer in Texas!

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
I know what you mean about the rain, MissyW72 said it right!, only now instead of getting wet from the rain you are getting wet from the sweat because of the temps and high humidity.

Beerbarrel
(Texas)

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
That's a lot of quarters, double what I found. Sounds like the park the ranger told you about is a pretty good producer. Sometimes I forget to eat too, caught up in the swinging and digging! We got a short little shower last night, I doubt that it softened up the ground. Good luck.

R

RUDY2003

Great day Frodov! Thats a lot of diggin'!
Real good coin count for the day too..

Keep safe buddy...

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Nice pile of quarters.

fofadave

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2007
Richmond Ky
No use staying you were getting all of the hits and I could not find out why my unit did not work. But thanks for working with me . Wait till next time. Be like fishing.

Ko78

May 29, 2019
Etowah county Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum E-series
The Hustler Garrett Electronics,
RM RICOMAX
MD-4080
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Park ranger told you hunting is not allowed in the Park that you hunted afterwards of being told for 5 hours???&#55357;&#56850;&#55357;&#56853;

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a great day lots of cons they add up quick and think of all the excersies each coin is like doing a sit up lol Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread