πŸ₯‡ BANNER Intact James Shell...Never In My Wildest Dreams!

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have never dreamed I would get an intact James shell from a hay field 16" deep with a 5X8 coil. I can't believe I found an artillery shell, period!

I also found a round iron ball nearby. I guess its safe to say it's grape shot given this location?

I have a few questions...Its hard researching from a hotel and I cant go cleaning on this shell here.

Will this have a fuse? or is there a James with a solid nose?
I was under the impression that all James' had to be drilled to make them inert. Are any solid?
Was the James Confederate, Union or both?

Ud.jpg 30418185855_d27525801f_o.jpg 30381882026_6fa4e5619a_o.jpg

**Updating - Nov 2016 with a pic of the finished shell.
Shell Restoration - Day 26 finished_2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 69

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!! I'd be careful with it until you get answers to those questions.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I've managed to answer all of my questions...Its Union...I rubbed off some dirt and there is a fuse...so It will have to be drilled.

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding! They had both types, shell and solid shot. Until you determine which that is, I would tread lightly with it! Also looks like a cannister or grape shot that ya got there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is sweet don't try to carry that on a plane LOL!!!!Thanks for sharing!!!

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must admit, I am very jealous of your find :happysmiley:. An intact James shell has been on my list for a LONG time, and the closest I have come to finding one so far was this large fragment from the base. Another member from WV found two in one day, and made it on the banner. However, it was taken off the banner after he removed his pictures. A find like this is banner worthy to me, but not everyone gets as excited about rusted chunks of metal as I do :laughing7:.

Attachments

• James Shell.jpg
    James Shell.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 390

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a GREAT shell find. There are several people who can dewat it but I have always done them myself. I have done over 50 and I'm still here typing with all 10 fingers. I drill them while under water and start with an 1/8 inch bit and go real slow, then step it up to a 1/2 inch hole. The best way for the James is thru the bottom but you will need the long drill bits to do it from the base. Then electrolysis and you should have a very nice piece.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a GREAT shell find. There are several people who can dewat it but I have always done them myself. I have done over 50 and I'm still here typing with all 10 fingers. I drill them while under water and start with an 1/8 inch bit and go real slow, then step it up to a 1/2 inch hole. The best way for the James is thru the bottom but you will need the long drill bits to do it from the base. Then electrolysis and you should have a very nice piece.

Thanks ucvrelics. I sure wish you lived closer...I would let you drill this one! :laughing7: Ive seen the youtube videos and read the websites and I know they are, for the most part, fairly safe...but I just can bring myself to drill it by hand. I think I will throw together a remote setup. If I don't check in on here for a few days you'll know something went wrong. :angel3:

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit, I am very jealous of your find :happysmiley:. An intact James shell has been on my list for a LONG time, and the closest I have come to finding one so far was this large fragment from the base. Another member from WV found two in one day, and made it on the banner. However, it was taken off the banner after he removed his pictures. A find like this is banner worthy to me, but not everyone gets as excited about rusted chunks of metal as I do :laughing7:.

I would have been stoked to find a fragment the size of yours! I didn't really get the chance to work my way up to an intact shell. I've only hunted CW relics a handful of times. A few bullets, buttons and a one possible fragment. Then bam! to find a whole James? Feels like I'm cheating somehow. I'll take it!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Love it. Makes you a bit humble to know that because it didn't explode, some lives were possibly spared at least then. Maybe those that were spared got through the war unscathed. Pretty dark reminder of a useless war.

However with that being said and you can't undo history it is an awesome piece of the USA's darkest period. Thanks so much for sharing.

I sure hope this post comes across as positive to all.

Last edited:

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is cool, nice job.!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rendered inert! My step-dad has balls big enough to come in a dump truck...he followed ucvrelics instructions and drilled it....I took the dog and went to the neighbors. :laughing7:

I'm no expert but I think this is going to clean up very nicely...next step: electrolysis.

_MG_7287.JPG _MG_7288.JPG

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find!!! My vote is in. I found a 6# Cannonball once with the 5x8 at 18 inches. Check that ground good and dig every deep iffy signal. There may be more. Congratulations again [emoji106] [emoji106]

HH RN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread