Finally, Finally, FINALLY...Victorian Silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but not what I expected. I have been re-concentrating on my own property this past week with some success. I have only been detecting for a year and had hit my side field frequently in the beginning. I started finding many copper token from the early 1800's so I knew I had found a decent area. Most of the token I have found have been very crusty and almost unreadable. The most recent was found a couple days ago and that was also the best condition copper. I posted it...1832 Nova Scotia Thistle Penny. I was commenting to a friend two days ago about the fact that I have dug over a dozen coppers but no silver. That changed last night.

I don't know how I missed it. I have hunted this area dozens of times but I guess I just didn't get the coil over the exact spot. When I did get it over it it rang up very clear! I pinpointed and dug and found it inside the plug. When I first saw the glint of silver I immediately thought "tombac button" because the last thing I expected was silver. I then saw Queen Victoria and knew I had a coin. It is a very early Queen Victoria and based on the size of the coin and the reeded edge I thought I had an early Canadian quarter. The reverse was still caked in soil and I did not want to risk damage to the coin so I didn't do any field cleaning. I continued detecting for a little while but couldn't contain myself much longer so I headed home.

When I got home I checked the reverse under the loop but still could not see the date. I then ran some water over it and that's when I saw what I thought was 1859! Great! A very early Canadian Quarter. Then I saw One Shilling and that the date was actually 1839! Even better? It cleaned up great! This is the 2nd oldest silver that I have found to date...next to the 1798 8 reale. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 1839 shilling.JPG
    1839 shilling.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 804
Upvote 0

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Romeo: Congrats on the QV Silver, that's the way to do it brother! Never give up on a place that's giving things up. Even if it is your own yard.
HH

Desertfox

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps one of our friends from the UK could give me a guess as to value?...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite rare for me to get one as good as that, so must be a super rare find for you.

WELL DONE.

As I always say, any silvers a good day.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ROMEO!!! What a neat find. Very cool looking coin.
-MM-

R

RUDY2003

Wow Romeo! Really special silver!
Great diggin'...

Keep safe...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Your land sounds like a nice old place to hunt. I've done the same thing.

Hunted my yard over and over. Maybe 50 times. Then all the sudden found a standing lib quarter. I think we miss items often. All you have to do is miss one small blade of grass.

I also think items over theose times come off of tilts. I think we also hit them in diff directions.

Anyhow great looking old silver man. I'm sure there is more out there.

HH Jer

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That coin is in very good shape!

I hope it's a rare one!

Nice job on not scratching it!

Congrats!

Ridley

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Not unlike yourself, I hunted my property a lot when I was first starting out....One day I get a nice tone and dug up a gorgeous gold 14th level Scottish rite ring. I am so glad you were able to hit such a nice find on your place!

Congrats
~Nash~

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and congrats! The oldest coin from my land was an 1856 copper. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread