Anchor found magnet fishing bayou

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg found this anchor today. Small steamboat anchor for small bayou. How old do you think it is? image.jpeg

Upvote 18

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat! That will make a great nautical themed display! :treasurechest::icon_thumright:

GetBusyDiggin

Jan 22, 2016
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find. I've tried magnet fishing in the Atchafalaya River but no luck yet. My magnet has trouble picking up old corroded steel like that. Well done!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about display idea doesn't look like it would be for a very large boat but does look old any marks or name on it anywhere!!!Thanks for sharing!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That looks like a very old anchor. However, WAY too small for a steamboat. That might hold a 14' rowboat. Was it found in brackish water or fresh water? I really don't know how to protect them except get the rust off and coat with paraffin wax so no more moisture gets to it. Somebody else might know. That would make an awesome display

Biggest anchor I have found was 8 tons. Never brought it up though!

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking anchor.

OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I'm not talking a Mississippi River steamboat but a bayou steamboat. Before the railroads, they were the main means of moving small amounts of cotton and sugar in the bayou country of south Louisiana. By the way, I re- submerged the anchor until I figure out how to preserve it. It's been in fresh water but has a lot of soft rust on it. I would like to keep it as is but I'm afraid as it drys the rust will fall off.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find. I agree with the others, I think that would make a very nice display piece.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a very old anchor. However, WAY too small for a steamboat. That might hold a 14' rowboat. Was it found in brackish water or fresh water? I really don't know how to protect them except get the rust off and coat with paraffin wax so no more moisture gets to it. Somebody else might know. That would make an awesome display

Biggest anchor I have found was 8 tons. Never brought it up though!

Two ways to remove the rust-either using electrolysis or soak it in apple cider vinegar and wire brush it. To preserve the metal you could use melted paraffin wax, or rub liquefied Briwax on it.

OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a little experience with both methods qqbut I'm afraid there is little good metal left. I was thinking about dipping it or spraying it with Penetrol. Has anyone tried this stuff before. I'm trying to preserves its shape

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any soft loose or flaky rust will have to come off, it'll just keep flaking anyway. Electrolysis is probably your best bet, but just keep checking on it to make sure you take it out when the loose stuff is gone. Possibly having it blasted with walnut shell (instead of sand or glass bead) would clean it up without losing any more good metal......Something that big I don't know how you'd wax it.... maybe heat it with a torch and do a section at a time? If the metal is good and clean maybe several coats of clear lacquer...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread