Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds are from two short hunts. A nice buckle fame, the heart locket (nothing but dirt inside), and some nice buttons to include the smallest two-piece I've ever found. There is also a mystery button, slightly convex, with what appears to be a soldier on the front holding a spear or staff in the right hand, and a sword in the left. That particular button was found at a 1756 home site here in Virginia that I hunt often. It looks like it has words on it, but I can't make them out. Any help with that button would appreciated. If no one can ID it, I will post on the Whatisit forum. Thanks for looking.

finds.jpg earring.jpg
Imperial front.jpg Imperial back.jpg two piece front.jpg two piece back.jpg
soldier front.jpg soldier back.jpg

Upvote 13
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic hunt!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tmmy G; That Indian Button is actually the Massachusetts State Seal Indian. Nice Find.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tmmy G; That Indian Button is actually the Massachusetts State Seal Indian. Nice Find.

Close, but in looking at the MA state seal, I'm not seeing a sword in the left hand; unless there is an earlier version I haven't seen. I put this on the Whatisit forum, and we have a lot of feedback in progress, but no consensus yet. Thanks for the comment

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is very cool. I look forward to an ID on that one! Congrats on your finds. -Lisa & John

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Virginia State Seal. After downloading I agree with a fellow post that you can see Columbia and if you look at the bottom the last 3 letters of nia are visible. Take a small solution of 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 water and use an old toothbrush and get the flaking of the wording around the edge. I think that will tell a lot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virginia State Seal. After downloading I agree with a fellow post that you can see Columbia and if you look at the bottom the last 3 letters of nia are visible. Take a small solution of 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 water and use an old toothbrush and get the flaking of the wording around the edge. I think that will tell a lot.

This is not a candidate for any mix of Lemon Juice. Leave it as is, no cleaning will help it. I use lemon juice a lot & it will kill that one.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The VA state seal was my first guess, but two things keep me from a positive ID. First, in all variations of the VA seal I've been able to find, the staff and sword are in the opposite hands. Second, the letters at the bottom appear to be INA, not NIA. So the jury is still out.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a candidate for any mix of Lemon Juice. Leave it as is, no cleaning will help it. I use lemon juice a lot & it will kill that one.

I agree with you. No further cleaning on this one. I've taken it as far as I want to go. I'm thinking this is a post revolutionary war militia button of some sort, so I want to preserve what is left and hope to eventually solve the mystery. One thing not mentioned in my previous description - the figure on front is raised/three dimensional. That, and the convex design, make me think military.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you. No further cleaning on this one. I've taken it as far as I want to go. I'm thinking this is a post revolutionary war militia button of some sort, so I want to preserve what is left and hope to eventually solve the mystery. One thing not mentioned in my previous description - the figure on front is raised/three dimensional. That, and the convex design, make me think military.

Pretty sure it Militia, & probably a small & rare Regiment.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updating this post to alert folks on this side of the isle. I started a thread on this button in the Whatisit forum. After some great discussion, Bramblefind posted an 1874 news article from the Charlotte Democrat newspaper that had a very detailed description of this button. It seems an identical button was found near Statesville, NC back then. I posted the link to the Whatisit forum discussion should you want more info, or to see how the discussion progressed. Should anyone come across another button like this, I would appreciate hearing about it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/519150-help-button-id-needed-soldier-holding-staff-sword.html

republicadecolombia.jpg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

X3. With almost no remaining gilt keep that lemon juice away! Lol.

Great buttons bud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread