Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was out the other day, at a local spot, cut grass field where houses used to stand, loads of trash in the ground. I have hit this place dozens of times, and taken many people to hunt there. I have seen no less than (10) people hunt this 20' x 50' front yard area.

I got a large signal, 5" long or so, obviously not what I am looking for, extra jumpy too... just like the other (100) pieces of trash that I had dug up. I figured what the heck and dug a hole. When I looked in, I saw a shiny chain hanging out of the side wall of the hole. I could tell that it was NOT a dog collar or key chain.

IMG_20161023_105202_467.jpg

I gave it a pull and out popped an ID bracelet... and I could tell that it was SILVER and heavy!

IMG_20161023_105303_055.jpg IMG_20161023_125019_289-1.jpg IMG_20161023_124840_487.jpg

I used the name on the front to figure out who the owner was... was is the key part, as he has passed, so has his wife, whose name was on the reverse of the bracelet. I located their daughter... also passed away though. I am unsure exactly what to do at this point, but will ponder on it a bit.

There are a couple of takeaways from this:
1. No place is ever hunted out.
2. Don't be so sure that junk signal is junk.
3. Dig a hole... that's why you have a digger with you.

That is the biggest piece of silver I have ever found, and it sure did make my day.
Thanks for looking, and best of luck on your hunts.

Last edited:
Upvote 30

SuperShaun

May 20, 2016
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Delta 4000, Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and a great find!

Keep Swinging My Friends!! ;-)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Tom!! Well earned. You are right, the only way to know is dig it. Maybe you can find a relative somewhere who would care.

HH RN

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find - Congratulations! :occasion14:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice find, Tom, and way to keep hittin' that spot. As always, thanks for postin'!

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, Tom, and way to keep hittin' that spot. As always, thanks for postin'!

When I started hunting, 2.5 years ago, I was told this place was full of trash and hunted out. It's about 20 acres, so I knew it was not hunted out. I have found my only SLQ, Barber half, KG3 and many silver dimes there. Oh there is plenty of trash, but if you dig enough holes, sooner or later something good will pop out.

SuperShaun (commented above) found his avatar Walker at the place!

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice find.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it seems to me that you've been told three times now. Thanks for the effort in trying to find the "owner" but they are all gone now. So.............. YOU are the NEW owner! You said it was the biggest piece of silver you've ever found. Enough!

Congrats on YOUR new bracelet! :icon_thumright:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, congratulations Tom on the find, and your perseverance. I was struck by your attempt to also find the owner(s), or family that survived. That was a genuinely decent thing for you to do, given that the ID bracelet obviously was a keepsake between the two of them, and would have had meaning for the daughter had she survived.

Nicely done, sir.

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the heavy silver!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wowee! Just gorgeous! Very kind of you to try locating the owner. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's like 16 silver dimes in one hole.

Congrats. Sounds like a keeper.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Tom and great advice for all of us trash-weary travelers. There may be a grandchild of the owner out there, just a little detective work on social media may find him/her. That would be a stellar return and an Honorable Mention for sure. Sub 8-)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so happy you dug that big silver ID bracelet. :headbang: Kudos for the retun research, hopefully you will find an accepting relative. :notworthy: Is that the place you took me to where you hunted under the tree and I wandered off to where the houses once stood?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it! I knew you'd make a huge find soon! Really awesome bracelet, that thing looks heavy.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Tom.. Nice big hunk of silver too man. I found just the plate portion of one awhile back. And I have to say it didn't sound as good as I would have thought it might. nice one man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread