3 Day Marathon Hunt With Scrappy & OutdoorAdv! 1812 Pewters, Complete Shoe Buckle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally took a few days off and had a 3 day marathon hunt with Brad and Steve. We stated on Thursday afternoon at my War of 1812 site. Happy to say that we all had some luck there and dug a nice handful of pewters between the 3 of us. I dug 3 US general service buttons as well as a couple of script Infantry buttons. I also dug a thimble and out of a trash pit came a killer little key as well as a nice little pipe stem that Brad gave me from the pit. We cooked some steak and potatoes right at the site and spent the night there. It was a great time that continued the next morning with more hunting. I'll let them share their finds but quite a few came out of this site. Friday night ended with a much needed shower then about 40 lbs of sushi and a couple of beers. Here are my finds from the War of 1812 site.
The Dirty Pile-
IMG_5247.JPG

The Cleaned Pile
IMG_5327.JPG

Marked Pewters
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 7.jpg
FullSizeRender 11.jpg

The Pit Key and Pipe Stem
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG

Friday night I screen mirrored a couple of my 1776 maps onto my tv so we could all look at them and make a plan for Saturday. I decided that we should take a risk and try to find a small dot on the map. This involved loading a canoe and a kayak and driving to a public boat launch. We got there nice and early only to find that the boat ramp was under construction and there was no place to park. So we unloaded the boats and I parked my truck halfway down a slippery embankment....I'll get back to that later lol. We took a short paddle on a really nice stretch of water. It was beautiful and peaceful even though the weather wasn't great. After failing to find the first site due to time constraints with the tide we headed to the second site that we had our eyes on. Luckily it was a cabin site which meant there was no cellar hole and therefore it was virgin. Luckily Steve got over a couple of non ferrous targets which helped us to zone in on the homestead. I'm going to let Brad give the specifics of the next 8 seconds or so because they are very funny! I happened to walk into a small hot spot and dug a few rat tail spoons, a pile of buttons, a possible lead seal and after moving a tree and telling the boys there was going to be a great signal under there I dug a beautiful complete shoe buckle. My 8th complete and probably 21st or so overall. I also dug a couple of coppers....one being a 1773 kg i believe. We had a great time there and dug over 40 buttons between us. It was a lot of fun to show these guys what the cabin sites are all about and how hard they are to find.
The Pile-
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Complete Shoe Buckle-
IMG_5297.JPG

Complete Shoe Buckle Family
IMG_5337 2.JPG

The Lead "Thing"-
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

1773 King George-
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg
FullSizeRender 9.jpg
IMG_5355.JPG

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

This was an incredibly fun few days with two great guys and Tnet members. It was great hunting and great food that ended with some massive lobster rolls. I know that I had a great time and hope they both had as much fun as I did. This post isn't nearly long enough but I am getting old and I'm exhausted from the paddling, hiking, digging and being in the rain for a few days. Hoping to hunt a lot more this fall and I have some very exciting sites that I'm hoping to get to. I'm going to be trying out some incredibly early sites and hope to add to my 1600s collection

Upvote 38

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Your lead thing is a button mold.

Now I see how you knew so quickly my friend. You dug one just like it a couple years back. Do you mind posting a pic on this thread? That's really cool. How many button molds have you dug? Just curious how common they are. I don't seem to recall many being posted

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great adventure and finds congrats

Thanks buddy. Gonna have to work hard to catch all of your great finds from 2016....but I'll give it my best

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! That sounds and looks like great fun. Glad you guys had a good trip. Anytime you can spend a few days with good friends is great and the finds make it that much better. Thanks for sharing [emoji106]

HH RN

Thanks relic nut. Truly a fantastic few days after a long summer of working a ton of ot

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - what can I say Abe - great finds man!! My favorite is that awesome button mold. Never seen one of those dug before. And all I can say about your spoons and buckle is ho-hum - just another day at the office for Abe :laughing7:. Some people just have their niche, and those are definitely 2 of yours. BTW - does that key have a triangular or square hole in the end? It might be a key for a barrel spigot, or maybe a clock key. Nice assortment of pewter buttons too. Hope to see you back at that site (or another) again soon as I could use a little motivation right now. Great post man!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow - what can I say Abe - great finds man!! My favorite is that awesome button mold. Never seen one of those dug before. And all I can say about your spoons and buckle is ho-hum - just another day at the office for Abe :laughing7:. Some people just have their niche, and those are definitely 2 of yours. BTW - does that key have a triangular or square hole in the end? It might be a key for a barrel spigot, or maybe a clock key. Nice assortment of pewter buttons too. Hope to see you back at that site (or another) again soon as I could use a little motivation right now. Great post man!

Interesting observation on that key Bill. I dug this spigot piece maybe 25 feet from where Abe got that key. If that is a spigot key, then perhaps there is more of it around there somewhere.

Tap spigot.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a productive hunt, and what a gracious host Abe is. Love the button mold, shoe buckle, and all the War of 1812 buttons.

And yes, the key is definitely a barrel tap key with one of the "fins" missing. Here are some pictures of spigot parts including a key and the caps that went over the on-off mechanism. The small spigot in my pic would have took a cap and a key - in fact I found a cap that fit right beside it. The larger one was a "non-restricted" version - LOL

Attachments

• Spigot parts 001.jpg
    Spigot parts 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Spigot parts 002.jpg
    Spigot parts 002.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a weekend-sounds like a blast. That shoe buckle is a beauty, and the latten spoons are cool. Looks like your War of 1812 site is loaded also-congrats on all of the great finds (all three of you).

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting observation on that key Bill. I dug this spigot piece maybe 25 feet from where Abe got that key. If that is a spigot key, then perhaps there is more of it around there somewhere.

View attachment 1374530
It is a barrel tap key, as we call them.

PS. Didn't see Steves response!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome hunt and a fun time to boot. You dig more intact shoe buckles and spoons than anyone on the forum. Would love to dig in some New England dirt sometime. I've got relatives in MA, VT, & ME. I just haven't made the time to hit them up for it yet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh didn't like the Shirt pic/ joke ahhh... welp :P

And I have been dyin to use that picture for weeks now :) bah.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome write up Abe. What a blast that must have been.

I really, really like the shoe buckle.

Very well done sir.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh didn't like the Shirt pic/ joke ahhh... welp :P

And I have been dyin to use that picture for weeks now :) bah.

Ha I love the shirt bro! Just hadn't had a chance to respond yet. And I was one filthy boy when I got home. Also had a tick completely embedded in my nipple. That was interesting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha I love the shirt bro! Just hadn't had a chance to respond yet. And I was one filthy boy when I got home. Also had a tick completely embedded in my nipple. That was interesting

Driving down the road holding your shirt up taking a nipple selfie....and you still drove better than Brad!!
Lok

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Driving down the road holding your shirt up taking a nipple selfie....and you still drove better than Brad!!
Lok

Driving on the right side of the road is merely a suggestion. Sometimes I prefer to take my half out of the middle or on the left side.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt with good friends, doesn't get any better!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh the elusive nipple tick.
Nothing like a nipple tick tickling the nipple.
Cant say I have had that pleasure... but it is now going on the bucket list :P

Oops... out of space...

Will add it to my list after my next visit to Kentucky Fried Chicken ... need a another bucket to write on.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Getting out with others for a bit of marathon hunting that produces some great looking finds is the best. Congrats on the great looking buckle, the awesome button mold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread