3 Day Marathon Hunt With Scrappy & OutdoorAdv! 1812 Pewters, Complete Shoe Buckle

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally took a few days off and had a 3 day marathon hunt with Brad and Steve. We stated on Thursday afternoon at my War of 1812 site. Happy to say that we all had some luck there and dug a nice handful of pewters between the 3 of us. I dug 3 US general service buttons as well as a couple of script Infantry buttons. I also dug a thimble and out of a trash pit came a killer little key as well as a nice little pipe stem that Brad gave me from the pit. We cooked some steak and potatoes right at the site and spent the night there. It was a great time that continued the next morning with more hunting. I'll let them share their finds but quite a few came out of this site. Friday night ended with a much needed shower then about 40 lbs of sushi and a couple of beers. Here are my finds from the War of 1812 site.
The Dirty Pile-
IMG_5247.JPG

The Cleaned Pile
IMG_5327.JPG

Marked Pewters
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender 7.jpg
FullSizeRender 11.jpg

The Pit Key and Pipe Stem
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG

Friday night I screen mirrored a couple of my 1776 maps onto my tv so we could all look at them and make a plan for Saturday. I decided that we should take a risk and try to find a small dot on the map. This involved loading a canoe and a kayak and driving to a public boat launch. We got there nice and early only to find that the boat ramp was under construction and there was no place to park. So we unloaded the boats and I parked my truck halfway down a slippery embankment....I'll get back to that later lol. We took a short paddle on a really nice stretch of water. It was beautiful and peaceful even though the weather wasn't great. After failing to find the first site due to time constraints with the tide we headed to the second site that we had our eyes on. Luckily it was a cabin site which meant there was no cellar hole and therefore it was virgin. Luckily Steve got over a couple of non ferrous targets which helped us to zone in on the homestead. I'm going to let Brad give the specifics of the next 8 seconds or so because they are very funny! I happened to walk into a small hot spot and dug a few rat tail spoons, a pile of buttons, a possible lead seal and after moving a tree and telling the boys there was going to be a great signal under there I dug a beautiful complete shoe buckle. My 8th complete and probably 21st or so overall. I also dug a couple of coppers....one being a 1773 kg i believe. We had a great time there and dug over 40 buttons between us. It was a lot of fun to show these guys what the cabin sites are all about and how hard they are to find.
The Pile-
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Complete Shoe Buckle-
IMG_5297.JPG

Complete Shoe Buckle Family
IMG_5337 2.JPG

The Lead "Thing"-
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

1773 King George-
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 6.jpg
FullSizeRender 9.jpg
IMG_5355.JPG

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

This was an incredibly fun few days with two great guys and Tnet members. It was great hunting and great food that ended with some massive lobster rolls. I know that I had a great time and hope they both had as much fun as I did. This post isn't nearly long enough but I am getting old and I'm exhausted from the paddling, hiking, digging and being in the rain for a few days. Hoping to hunt a lot more this fall and I have some very exciting sites that I'm hoping to get to. I'm going to be trying out some incredibly early sites and hope to add to my 1600s collection

Upvote 38
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a productive hunt, and what a gracious host Abe is. Love the button mold, shoe buckle, and all the War of 1812 buttons.

And yes, the key is definitely a barrel tap key with one of the "fins" missing. Here are some pictures of spigot parts including a key and the caps that went over the on-off mechanism. The small spigot in my pic would have took a cap and a key - in fact I found a cap that fit right beside it. The larger one was a "non-restricted" version - LOL

Hey man I have one of those caps. Thanks a lot Steve. I'm going to go find it and stick that key in it

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a weekend-sounds like a blast. That shoe buckle is a beauty, and the latten spoons are cool. Looks like your War of 1812 site is loaded also-congrats on all of the great finds (all three of you).

Thank you buddy. I love the shoe buckle as well. It's equally as exciting every time I dig one

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt and a fun time to boot. You dig more intact shoe buckles and spoons than anyone on the forum. Would love to dig in some New England dirt sometime. I've got relatives in MA, VT, & ME. I just haven't made the time to hit them up for it yet.

If you ever get up here get in touch. I may know of a guy who knows of a couple early sites. You don't do too bad yourself my friend

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a barrel tap key, as we call them.

PS. Didn't see Steves response!

Thanks for the info guys. Surprised one of those would ever be allowed to end up in the trash pit lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome write up Abe. What a blast that must have been.

I really, really like the shoe buckle.

Very well done sir.

Thanks CT. That was my favorite find until I was told that I dug a button mold. First of those I've ever found. Hope you continue getting out and knocking down some good ones

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt with good friends, doesn't get any better!

You're right PoE. I hunt by myself 98% of the time and thoroughly enjoy it. But spending a few days with these knuckleheads that are almost as immature as I am was a blast lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh the elusive nipple tick.
Nothing like a nipple tick tickling the nipple.
Cant say I have had that pleasure... but it is now going on the bucket list :P

Oops... out of space...

Will add it to my list after my next visit to Kentucky Fried Chicken ... need a another bucket to write on.

Lol yup everybody should have the pleasure of slicing open their own nipple to pull the other half of the tick out that they just ripped in half. You may want to put that at the top of your list my friend....if you're sick like me

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting out with others for a bit of marathon hunting that produces some great looking finds is the best. Congrats on the great looking buckle, the awesome button mold.

Thank you sir. I was so happy to see you post again. Not to mention such a killer coin! Don't get too busy my man. Gotta enjoy these rare times that we can dig in the dirt like little kids. It keeps us young

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt ! Pulled some very nice items
Love them buttons. Ahab,adv scrappy coco. The deadly trio, I actually think scrappy smells the silver !
Great job you three. Hh gl.

All Scrappy could smell when we got out of the woods was himself and us! We were done very dirty and tired boys. He did smell some silver out in the mud flat. A beautiful silver Washington quarter....then wisely sacrificed it back to the mud for somebody to find in 200 more years

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on a fantastic hunt! Bet you guys felt like Lewis & Clark paddling to the sites, how awesome is that! IP beat me to it but yep that's a button mold. You should make some commemorative lead buttons from that.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Love the 1812 pewters & the shoe buckle!

Thanks Mangum! You've been on quite the roll yourself lately bud. Keep itbup

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys killed it! The river trek started out sounding like Deliverance - glad it had a happy ending! Absolutely love that buckle collection. Congratulations to the whole team!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on a fantastic hunt! Bet you guys felt like Lewis & Clark paddling to the sites, how awesome is that! IP beat me to it but yep that's a button mold. You should make some commemorative lead buttons from that.
Thanks buddy I'm so pleased with the button mold!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys killed it! The river trek started out sounding like Deliverance - glad it had a happy ending! Absolutely love that buckle collection. Congratulations to the whole team!

I left out the part about Steve sneaking into Brads tent Tommy. Didn't think it was appropriate but now that you bring it up I did hear some banjos and somebody say "........." well you know the line I'm referring to. Poor Brad lol

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar hunt...i'm tempted to jump on the ferry and joining you on you next marathon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread