Great weekend with Ahab8 & Scrappy, 1812 Buttons, musket balls and rattail spoon!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The weekend finally arrived that Abe, Steve and I have had planned all summer. I had been really looking forward to a couple days off work and spending some time outdoors with two great friends. Abe and Steve are a couple serious hunters who know how to move some dirt and really put in the work to find the good stuff. I had one of the best 3 days anyone could ask for enjoying the outdoors and digging up some history with two great buddies. Abe I can't thank you enough for great hospitality and just an awesome weekend man.

Check out Abe's post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ooradv-1812-pewters-complete-shoe-buckle.html

Check out Steve's post here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-outdooradv-pewters-coppers-tombac-bells.html

The group shot of my finds over the three days.

IMG_20161024_164042296.jpg

The first couple days we camped out at a hard hit site. Since we had a couple days there, we were able to explore a bit more and read the terrain. I noticed a few things right away that I had missed on our trip there this past spring. We unloaded our gear and fired up our machines. After digging some junk I got a sweet solid whisper and pulled out a really deep musket ball from a War of 1812 soldier. I will never get tired of digging musket balls! A short time later I found a small pewter patch and popped out a 1798-1802 6th Regt. U.S. Infantry button from a War of 1812 soldiers uniform. My finds slowed down after that, most likely due to me being up for 36 hours with only a couple hours of sleep. I moved to a different area and popped out a brass spoon bowl, I rechecked the plug and there was a incredible watch winder laying in the soil. The best part about this area is almost everything period we dig was used by a soldier at one point. I was getting machine gun iron around the plug, so I retrieved my big shovel, magnet and sifter and started moving dirt. Every swipe of the magnet was coming up full of hammered and cut nails and I quickly unmasked a few buttons and bits of brass. Being so tired I didn't have it in me to move tons of dirt, so I saved it for the next day. As the day wound down, we set up camp, made a fire, cracked a few beers and cooked steaks on sticks... which we pretty much ended up eating raw. In the pitch dark we decided to head out on a scouting mission with our machines. We swung as we went and popped out a couple brass buttons, then literally stumbled right into a colonial cellar hole that shouldn't have even been there. Abe and I had a tough time getting our coils over anything non-ferrous, while Steve administered a huge spanking, pulling one great find after another. :laughing7: (including knocking one off his bucket list) One of Steve's best finds that evening was a couple inches from a plug Abe or I had dug minutes before :dontknow:

It dumped rain that night, but mostly cleared up by morning. The following morning we all headed out in different directions. Steve returns an hour later and mentions he dug a whole mess of musket balls and invited me to check out the area with him. After a few minutes with the Deus, I realized it wasn't up for this particular challenge so I put together my GPX and returned... it was like fishing with dynamite. That thing was screaming musket balls left and right. I believe Steve had discovered a target shooting range and him and I had a great time pulling those out. Thank's a ton Scrappy for inviting me down there... while they might not seem like the best finds, digging those musket balls was the most fun I had at that site. I can never get tired of seeing those things come out of the dirt.

The group shot of the first two days.

IMG_20161024_163813800.jpg

I got two marked pewters in those first two days.

1798-1802 6th Regt. U.S. Infantry - Coat Button

IMG_20161024_164627642.jpg

1808-30 U.S. Army General Service - Cuff Button

IMG_20161024_164652230.jpg

After cleaning the dirt off the watch winder, the top part started to swivel again.

IMG_20161024_163908586.jpg

Various buck shot and musket balls of all sizes.

IMG_20161024_163847556.jpg

Some hard hit musket balls

IMG_20161024_164011523.jpg

Lots of brass buttons from the 1812 site, but all are blank. I've been dying to dig a marked brass 1812 button, so each time I saw one of these in the plug I'd get excited to wipe off the front.

IMG_20161024_163944463.jpg

A couple tombacs and a shoe buckle fragment turned up. Probably from the people who inhabited the cellar hole we discovered.

IMG_20161024_163953919.jpg IMG_20161024_164001552.jpg

After a couple days of being dirt balls, getting rained on and camping, Steve and I checked into a hotel then met up with Abe for some sushi. After dinner we headed back to Abe's to look at maps and discuss the plan for the following day. We discovered a boat launch which put us pretty close to our target, so the plan was set. The following morning we loaded up our gear and set off. After exploring the first site, I found an iron patch but it turned out to be modern (maybe 1950's). We decided not to waste anymore time there and headed to the second spot. After hiking around we discovered a rock pile, fired our machines up and looked for the iron. Not much iron, but Steve found some targets that told us we were close. We branched out and before long the finds started coming. We had found an untouched mid to late 18th century cabin site. Because its a cabin site, there is not any visible sign left that something was there. Without Steve nailing a few finds right out of the gate, we would have never found this site. After a few buttons, I get a slamming signal and pull out what was left of a rattail pewter spoon. Now, a rattail spoon is something I have been dying to find and Abe has heard me tell him this every chance I get... I even got to witness him pull a complete one this past spring! So, I pull this spoon out and even though its broken and ugly, I'm yelling to Abe and beyond excited... Abe's working on his own plug 20 feet from me and 10 seconds after mine comes out, he pulls out a nearly perfect complete one... typical Abe digging complete spoons :laughing7: I'm very happy with mine and even dug some spoon handle fragments that don't match my bowl, but I'll pretend like they do for the photos. A short time later I got to see Abe pull another complete shoe buckle which is just awesome. We took a break and scouted for a bit without much success, but when we returned I got a sweet smooth tone I was certain was a copper... I dig the plug and pull out a brass thimble. A bit let down it wasnt a copper, I look in the dirt I just moved and see half of a early pipe bowl laying there... now I'm excited! I hand it to Abe to check out and he tells me its marked... even better! Many more buttons and relics later we were all beat and decided to head out.

The group shot of the 3rd day.

IMG_20161024_164537231.jpg

The TD marked pipe bowl which might have been made by London pipe maker Thomas Dormer between 1748 and 1770. That date range fits with the other relics we pulled from this site.

IMG_20161024_163037617.jpg

My first rattail pewter spoon... or whats left of it. A big deal for me to find and something I can't wait to display.

IMG_20161024_162909255.jpg

The thimble that led me to the pipe bowl.

IMG_20161024_163001134.jpg

Various pewters and tombacs from the cabin site.

IMG_20161024_162921195.jpg IMG_20161024_162951811.jpg

I'm still on the road for business, so this is my setup to unbox and shoot photos to remember this awesome weekend!

IMG_20161024_164155549.jpg

Some of you might know just how much I like iron from all my previous posts. I typically wait to post until I can process some of the iron and include it in my photos. In the last couple years I have tumbled and preserved 1000's of nails and have them in boxes at home. I made a few displays for a couple friends before I headed to see Abe. This is the one I made for Abe which includes many rose heads and hand forged nails, as well as various cut nails, finish nails, tacks, flooring nails, horse shoe nails... etc. He was very surprised to see it and its hard to believe that crusty dug nails can clean up and present so well :headbang:

IMG_20161007_112902855.jpg

Thank you again Abe and Steve for a great time with lots of laughs.

Happy Hunting and thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Upvote 25

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow

Fantastic stuff. I agree your hanging with some guys who care about history. I bet it was a blast digging up all that stuff with those guys

HH Jer

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just looked at my old post when I dug the 5th and 10th regiment buttons and realized I misidentified this button. Its not a 6th regiment, but a 9th regiment!

These buttons say "United States" around the border clockwise.

IMG951193.jpg

If I orientate my new one it is clear that I had it upside down. So this is a 1798-1802 9th Regt. U.S. Infantry - Coat Button

9th.jpg

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's all amazing! I enjoyed the whole story, thank you for sharing! The finds are sweet but the treasure was getting out there with friends on a trip you've been waiting for. Glad you all had a good time! Best of luck next time out there and happy hunting

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, such raw enthusiasm! Congrats on the bucket list spoon, pipe, and assortment of musket balls.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a fantastic recap of the trip my friend. But you ruined my separate post of the gifts my buddies brought me. I thought they deserved their own post. I'm still going to write it because it was so cool of you both to bring me something. I'm in shock that Kim loves the nail display so much she said I could display it upstairs lol. I'm so thankful that I got to share this experience with you both and see you guys pull some great finds. I had a blast. I felt some immense pressure to make sure you guys got your coils over some keepers. I'm so glad the cabin site turned out to be good. I guess we now know why their was so many pewter buttons there. Having your own mold makes it pretty easy to make buttons I suppose. I love the 9th button and the marked pipe bowl. The rat tail I know was an important one for you so I was glad to see that.
I selfishly am really happy that you took the GPX out in the muck and realized that thing is a monster out there. You know why I'm so excited and I'm hoping maybe Sunday I can find out if there's a killer site or a giant let down. Either way I know the GPX won't miss it if it's down there. Ya know we forgot to tell the story of the big fat porcupine that was directly over our heads for about 6 hours. The pics are terrible but here he is. We had no idea this guy was above us
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477394222.012094.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post! Congrats on the finds and getting out digging with other passionate folks.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely sit on the sidelines and watch others dig,, but it is obvious to me, that I can definitely learn a lot from you guys.
Thanks for a well written post and congratulations on all of your finds.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, that's a good recap! I had better start writing now so I can finish a good one by tomorrow to post.

First off, if anybody doesn't already know, Brad is a hardcore hunter. This guy wouldn't even drink coffee before hunting - he literally got out of his tent and started hunting. Abe and I were sitting there drinking coffee in the drizzle and there goes friggin' Brad waltzing by with his Deus....

But nuff said, we can all see clearly the results and dang it Brad - you killed it! That pipe bowl is probably my favourite find, but the pewters may be tied or a close second. Anyway, it's like comparing supermodels since either one will do, lol.

I can say enough about the good time we had. Of course we all share the love for relic hunting and history, but man you guys are both awesome dudes. The sorest part of my body was my face from laughing and smiling. What a good time brother!

Old Man Harbin - you had a hellava hunt there!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fantastic excursion for the three of you. Sounds like y'all had a ball-and you really mopped up, both in quality and quantity. Congrats on finding your first latten spoon, and the pipe bowl with the maker's mark. The Three Musketeers-Brad, Abe and Steve :laughing7:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best part about your group hunt is I get to relive it 3 times through each of your posts. Excellent narrative Brad, feel like I was there haha. Happy to see you add a pair of early pewters to your collection. Sounds like an epic hunt for sure.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome post as always Brad!! It doesn't get any better than getting out for a digging adventure with good friends, and all the fantastic finds were just a well-deserved bonus. You really cleaned up on the relics although I'm sure you were hoping for more coins. Don't see much iron either so know you must be disappointed :laughing7:. Congrats on some nice firsts including that marked pipe bowl. Hope you can get back to your pit site soon.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Brad with two other die hard colonial hunters. You guys really produced the goods up the in the Great North East.

Love to see those War of 1812 buttons coming to light :thumbsup:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a fantastic recap of the trip my friend. But you ruined my separate post of the gifts my buddies brought me. I thought they deserved their own post. I'm still going to write it because it was so cool of you both to bring me something. I'm in shock that Kim loves the nail display so much she said I could display it upstairs lol. I'm so thankful that I got to share this experience with you both and see you guys pull some great finds. I had a blast. I felt some immense pressure to make sure you guys got your coils over some keepers. I'm so glad the cabin site turned out to be good. I guess we now know why their was so many pewter buttons there. Having your own mold makes it pretty easy to make buttons I suppose. I love the 9th button and the marked pipe bowl. The rat tail I know was an important one for you so I was glad to see that.
I selfishly am really happy that you took the GPX out in the muck and realized that thing is a monster out there. You know why I'm so excited and I'm hoping maybe Sunday I can find out if there's a killer site or a giant let down. Either way I know the GPX won't miss it if it's down there. Ya know we forgot to tell the story of the big fat porcupine that was directly over our heads for about 6 hours. The pics are terrible but here he is. We had no idea this guy was above us
View attachment 1374502

That poor porcupine! Stuck on a tiny branch, in the rain for 6 or more hours. It's too bad he didn't know it was totally cool to climb down and just waddle home. I'm glad you got to witness my first rattail spoon and then take the wind out of my sails at the same time. :laughing7: At least now you wont have to hear my carrying on about how bad I want a rattail spoon. I just realized the two times we've hunted together, you've pulled a rattail spoon and a complete shoe buckle in pretty much the same fashion. The first spoon was a retaliation to my IHP and the second spoon was a retaliation to my inferior spoon... and the buckles... well I lets say if you go hunt a spot I was just in, you will get a complete buckle. haha You know hanging out and having fun is primary and hunting is secondary... finds or not, there is never pressure to produce, but rather just have a great time.

I'm really glad we found another use for our new GPX's. I hope you kill it with yours this weekend. I cant wait to see what you find. I can't thank you enough man, that was a hilarious time and we all dug some really cool stuff.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet rat tail spoon, buttons and pipes! That's a nice pile of very old finds, and you're lucky to hunt such great spots with good dudes. That nail display is really cool.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a spectacular hunt with a couple of the nicest guys around.

Very well done sir!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha, that's a good recap! I had better start writing now so I can finish a good one by tomorrow to post.

First off, if anybody doesn't already know, Brad is a hardcore hunter. This guy wouldn't even drink coffee before hunting - he literally got out of his tent and started hunting. Abe and I were sitting there drinking coffee in the drizzle and there goes friggin' Brad waltzing by with his Deus....

But nuff said, we can all see clearly the results and dang it Brad - you killed it! That pipe bowl is probably my favourite find, but the pewters may be tied or a close second. Anyway, it's like comparing supermodels since either one will do, lol.

I can say enough about the good time we had. Of course we all share the love for relic hunting and history, but man you guys are both awesome dudes. The sorest part of my body was my face from laughing and smiling. What a good time brother!

Old Man Harbin - you had a hellava hunt there!

Thanks man! It really is like comparing supermodels... those colonial relics are killer, but the 1812 stuff is really something special. Those soldiers could have been sons of Revolutionary War veterans and they would be amazed that a few guys came along 203 years later, dug up their discarded trash, drooled over it and then shared it electronically to people all over the world who share the same appreciation. :occasion14: Digging those musket balls with you was a highlight of the weekend for sure. I can only imagine what sort of shooting contests they had out there to pass boredom and keep their sanity.

We both hunted so hard we got headaches. It was funny tallying up the man hours the three of us spent combined (about 80 hours) to pull some crusty buttons, coppers and relics. But it was totally worth it and so much fun. Keep an eye on your credit card... that hotel might be billing you for a fumigation fee. :laughing7: Looking forward to hanging out again soon man.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow

Fantastic stuff. I agree your hanging with some guys who care about history. I bet it was a blast digging up all that stuff with those guys

HH Jer

Thanks JerV3! It really was a ton of fun. Those two are great guys to hunt with.

That's all amazing! I enjoyed the whole story, thank you for sharing! The finds are sweet but the treasure was getting out there with friends on a trip you've been waiting for. Glad you all had a good time! Best of luck next time out there and happy hunting

Thanks Zachbl92! Thanks for reading it man. You're spot on about the adventure with friends being the best part. Best of luck to you too.

Great post, such raw enthusiasm! Congrats on the bucket list spoon, pipe, and assortment of musket balls.

Thanks a ton Ken! You nailed the three things I like the most. The pipe and spoon are obvious, but I really like digging those musket balls... now if I could just go dig up one of those flintlocks that fired them :laughing7:

Great post! Congrats on the finds and getting out digging with other passionate folks.

Thanks Pepperj! Its a ton of fun hunting with these guys. I get to see triple the cool stuff come out of the dirt, so its three times the fun and lots of nonstop laughs.

Great post, great adventure and great finds congrats

Thanks Art!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing post, finds, and friendships that you have with Abe and Steve. The buttons are very special, and the pipe fragment! What a wonderful time you guys had! That nail display is pretty incredible, too. Nice job and congrats on your finds. -Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread