1700s Buckle / 4 wheats

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a new record for me, 4 oldish coins in 1 day... first 3 signals i dug were wheats which was nice. then found another one later that day. Also today i found my oldest find for my area, a 18th century buckle... now how do i know its 1700s? well it had an iron prong which i broke off cuz it was all rusted + wasnt intact mostly (some rust is still there) but the buckle itself is brass.. looked on a wikipedia and saw buckles were typically made from 2 different metals in the 1700s because they had 2 different manufactures for the parts. Brass and iron were both common metals to be used for buckles. So im happy about that...

IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2571.JPG

Upvote 6

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Wheat Cent finds. Hopefully you can find out more about your buckle from the experts here. :thumbsup:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find many iron hook brass buckles on farm land, likely horse bridle items. they sell nicely on Ebay.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is a horse tack buckle from the last 100 years or so, but I could be wrong. Don't think it's from the 1700's, though.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! I like the wheaties! The buckle looks like it is a horse buckle from after the 1890's. Either way, still a cool find!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff! I'm thinking it's a later buckle, too. To me, the shape doesn't look 17th C. Either way--it's a beauty! Congrats. -Lisa & John

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but your basic research is flawed when it comes to buckles like this. Mixing two types of metals especially brass & iron continued way into the late 20th C, which is the period that this common horse harness buckle is from. Circa mid-20th C, but some examples maybe go into the 19th C though. So you could say 19th-20th C.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like something I've dug in sites ranging from the mid-19th C to the mid 20th C. here in the Northeastern US.

Keep at it! Cheers

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but your basic research is flawed when it comes to buckles like this. Mixing two types of metals especially brass & iron continued way into the late 20th C, which is the period that this common horse harness buckle is from. Circa mid-20th C, but some examples maybe go into the 19th C though. So you could say 19th-20th C.

Why do you have to be so rude about saying my research is wrong? i dont mind people correcting me, but geez you dont have to insult me and pratically condem my mind as nothing.. I dont know if its just me, but this came off extremely rude

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you have to be so rude about saying my research is wrong? i dont mind people correcting me, but geez you dont have to insult me and pratically condem my mind as nothing.. I dont know if its just me, but this came off extremely rude

I don't think he's trying to be rude, he is just very "matter of fact" when it comes to ID. The guy is like a walking encyclopedia with many items, so don't be offended.

Nice finds by the way, I love finding wheaties, hopefully there is some silver around there for you.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Continue in the place, maybe get a deep coin

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Yup! It may have started back in the 18th C, and continued for a very long time. Just because the wheel was created 5000 years ago does not mean all wheels are that old. I use buckles like that on a regular basis on my horse.

Crusader was not being rude in anyway with his post. He is probably one of the most helpful people on the forum for identifying any item. As Cache said, he is matter of fact, and is very good at stating the direct facts about an item. I think he knows everything about any item anyone could post lol.

Cool buckle, regardless of age!

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! It may have started back in the 18th C, and continued for a very long time. Just because the wheel was created 5000 years ago does not mean all wheels are that old. I use buckles like that on a regular basis on my horse.

Crusader was not being rude in anyway with his post. He is probably one of the most helpful people on the forum for identifying any item. As Cache said, he is matter of fact, and is very good at stating the direct facts about an item. I think he knows everything about any item anyone could post lol.

Cool buckle, regardless of age!

Never said he wasnt a good source of knowledge, just said he didnt have to insult me saying my research is basic and flawed....and then saying my find is common, it may not be common for everyone so...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread