1788 1/2 real, 1803, 1810, and 1842 LCs, old copper, and Krampus??

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey diggers

Things are in full swing here and I've gotten out three times this week, with weather and rifle season closing in. I chanced upon my 6th Spanish silver of the year (mexico city mint) as well as my first Classic Head cent in addition to a tattered draped and a sweet condition 1842. The blank copper is the size and weight of the William III I dug at the same spot two weeks ago, but not a shred of detail is left. Attached are post hunt/pre-cleaned pics, as well as a group shot of the best after 7 hours total of hunting. Some nice buttons, couple of spoons, musket balls, and a cool piece of costume jewelry round out the bunch.

The most interesting piece to me is the one with the demonic figure, which as far as I can tell is a depiction of Krampus, the counterpart to St. Nick in German folklore, who punishes naughty kids. The object seems to be silver plated, (possibly sterling?, I'm not very good at knowing the difference) and has a clip-style fastener on the back (edited: just added pic). The face was totally obscured by dirt when I first uncovered it, so I didn't even realize that I had something more interesting till I got home. Moments like that are actually what I like most about this hobby right now. Anybody seen one of these before, or have any other ideas about what/who it is?

I sure hope like crazy that my "Nick"ing the Krampus piece with my shovel won't result in coal in my stocking this Christmas. Har-har.

Cheers

Attachments

• 10.22.16 all.JPG
    10.22.16 all.JPG
    634 KB · Views: 200
  • 10.26.16 all.JPG
    10.26.16 all.JPG
    746.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    876.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • all week.JPG
    all week.JPG
    917.5 KB · Views: 234
  • krampus reverse1.jpg
    krampus reverse1.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Upvote 35

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt Ken :icon_thumright: Huge congrats on that Spanish silver and those classic heads sure seem hard to come by. I really like that Krampus piece too. Looking forward to seeing what the back looks like later on. That big iron spoon would preserve great with electrolysis too. Looking forward to your next post man.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, wtg :occasion14:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
That was a good hunt alright! I like the Krampus silver piece, and I'll be dollars to doughnuts it's sterling silver.

HH,
Brian

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing!!! Love that Krampus! And please do post the picture of the back of it. The coins are great but that item is so freaking unusual, would be a centerpiece of my collection if I have found one.
By the way,looks sterling to me.At least Victorian and quality made. Find an old hallmark on the back of it and I'm sure that instead of coal you'll be getting a banner. Big congrats! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing finds. Also looking forward to seeing the back of the Krampus piece, it's such an unusual find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure, but the silver piece reminds me of decanter labels, & 'similar' to the Bacchus images thats connected to Wine.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
All looks highly conserved, cool coins
..you have luck with the ground and site

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great stuff Ken. Another nice Spanish but that silver piece is awesome! Very curious to know what it came from

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive Relic and old Coin hunt! :occasion14:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful stuff! Great coins and Krampus-esque guy. I also love the ornate pin you found! If the stone isn't glass, it could be garnet. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great week! I saw that demon silver piece on facebook. That is just such a freaky piece, perfect for Halloween.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken that sure looks like silver to me. What a beautiful piece! I care little about silver or gold jewelry but something like that is awesome. I think once we see the back somebody will be able to nail it down. Btw you've destroyed the rest of us in Spanish in a very short time. Imagine what you might have in an entire years time.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You made some pretty awesome finds- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, thanks for the enthusiastic responses. Just posted a pic of the back of Herr Krampus...my apologies for the suspense. No hallmark that I can see (the notch at 1 o'clock is damage I think, but I'm at work now and don't have the object in front of me to confirm) but the tarnish does look more like sterling and the ding doesn't reveal any different material. Steve, if you can track down where you saw it on FB would love to hear more.

I'll be able to respond individually to posts later...back to work!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an excellent hunt,, congrats
Was Krumpus the first to say,, " Bahhh Humbug "

Last edited: