Went to slay the Dragon! Hey Dragon...............I Beat You!!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
The Dragon, is the name I've given my first 1890 homestead permission. I've been there 9 times, and it has only given up a '39 Wheatie for my troubles. Ton's of iron, but no older coins which should be there.

Brought a good luck charm this time. T-member gerryk. He posted he was looking for someone to hunt with and he was only an hour away. So I decided, 2 is better then one to try to slay the Dragon, and dig up some older coinage.

Well it's lunchtime, and it looks like another one of those day's. What is it's......iron.......more What is it's.

After lunch we got back at it. Not long after I got an 84-86 on my AT. Didn't think to much about it, because alot of the iron here, gives off the same signal. But, you have to dig those numbers. So I did. Have you ever had one of those moments? P10000071.jpg P10000111.jpg P10000091.jpg

I guess I found an old coin:laughing7: Couldn't believe what I was looking at. 1835 Large Cent just made the previous nine digs worth it:laughing7: Didn't see this one coming.
I did a light cleaning when I got home, but wasn't much better then these pics. Any recommendations on cleaning without destroying?

Other then that and a couple of ax heads, that was about it for the day. It was nice hunting with someone for a change. We will be doing it again.

Thanks for the good karma gerry!

Thanks for looking!HH

I beat you Dragon:laughing7:

Upvote 21

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on taking that Dragon down, now go slay another!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers, congratulations!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright King George!! Now that you've got that dragons' attention, time to get serious!!
Great find!! Congratulations..........btw, air dry that large cent and use a toothpick on it.........then some nose oil to bring out the highlights...............

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright King George!! Now that you've got that dragons' attention, time to get serious!!
Great find!! Congratulations..........btw, air dry that large cent and use a toothpick on it.........then some nose oil to bring out the highlights...............

Will do. Thanks!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that awesome LC. Sounds like your at a site where you need to dig some trash in order for the good targets to get unmasked.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There you go, Digger! Congrats on a beautiful large cent. -Lisa & John

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice LC man..great shape. wish mine would come up like that.

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the large cent. The more junk you remove the easier it will be to dig better relics and coines.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, the LC looks nice, there is a cleaning and preservation forum, a lot of opinions and techniques. Yours should clean up nice judging by your pix. Sounds like there is a lot of iron on your site, what coil are you using? Maybe try the smaller coil to sneak around all that iron. Or dig a lot of the iron to get to the goodies that are hiding around it? Low, slow, and from different angles works for me.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ...patience pays off..

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, the LC looks nice, there is a cleaning and preservation forum, a lot of opinions and techniques. Yours should clean up nice judging by your pix. Sounds like there is a lot of iron on your site, what coil are you using? Maybe try the smaller coil to sneak around all that iron. Or dig a lot of the iron to get to the goodies that are hiding around it? Low, slow, and from different angles works for me.

All I use in the area is the 5 x 8 coil slow and steady:icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the LC buddy. I honestly would wipe some nose grease across the face and get some nice pics of it like that. It's amazing the detail it will bring out. I actually photograph all of my coins in the dark after a bit of grease and use my phone led to shine across the face of it. It will highlight every little detail and look amazing. You may just have to mess with the lighting angles a bit. Glad to see you post my frifbd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread