There's something fishy about this site...

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Not Treasurenet lol)

Last Saturday I headed back to my go-to colonial site for more digging and sifting. I didn't exactly knock it out of the park but I did find a few interesting relics from the 18th century.

The process that I learned from Brad (Outdooradv) for sifting is basically 1)dig; 2)sift; 3)pull nails from the sift pile and hole with a magnet; 4) run the coil over the sift pile, hole and hole wall; and 5) repeat-many times. While detecting the wall during one of countless rounds of the process I picked up a mid-50s signal in the wall. A little digging and out popped this pewter civilian coat button with a flower pattern

20161108_181637.jpg

20161108_180531.jpg 20161108_180650.jpg

On the pottery side I found more shards of Staffordshire combed slipware. Two decent-sized shards fit together and one has an embossed letter "P" on it. Hopefully I will find more of this piece; the initials are probably that of the potter or the person the piece was made for.

20161108_175625.jpg

When I was cleaning my finds the next day I realized that the magnet had picked up a fish hook-a first for me.

20161108_175802.jpg

My first thought was that it was a modern hook. However, it was several inches deep in the middle of finds that were all from the 18th century-no modern stuff. Also, the hook has no eye. I did some research and found that hooks made in the 18th century did not have eyes and were all snelled to the line.

TIEINGHOOKS.jpg

So this is a fish hook from the 1700s; a pretty cool find to me.

In the sift file the AT Pro found this tiny button that once held a stone (probably cut glass)

20161108_175910.jpg 20161108_180024.jpg

Two other finds were a bell "clapper" and an unidentified relic that was originally shaped like a miniature stirrup. Any ideas about the second one?

20161108_180754.jpg

20161108_181451.jpg

Here are my finds for the day

20161108_175432.jpg

That site is addictive-I'm sure I will be back before long.

Last edited:
Upvote 16

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another awesome job sifting Glenn! I know you'll get into a section soon that'll blow you away... that's when its the most fun. Keep at it though and get those bits of iron out and all the small things will appear. I cant wait to see what turns up next there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That yellow material, is combware. Very hard to find whole items of it, and if you can find a piece with the antique dealer, it's very expensive. That is indeed an 18th century fish hook. HARD to get.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another awesome job sifting Glenn! I know you'll get into a section soon that'll blow you away... that's when its the most fun. Keep at it though and get those bits of iron out and all the small things will appear. I cant wait to see what turns up next there.

Thanks Brad-that's why I keep going back. I need to learn to get all of the iron out of the dirt so that I can find more of the small stuff.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad-that's why I keep going back. I need to learn to get all of the iron out of the dirt so that I can find more of the small stuff.

Do you have a small coil on your machine too? I was using the tiny 5" puck on my T2 for sifting, but now that I use the Deus, the 9" in the stock Deus Fast program is all I use. I'm still surprised at what I unmask when I stop hearing the grunts and all the iron is stuck to the magnet.

Picked up the magnet you suggested for my next sifting adventure today, congrats on the pewter and fish hook Glenn

Awesome! Did you get the one Glenn has? I have that same 250lb magnet, but I just ordered the 400lb one today. :laughing7: The 250lb one works great, but come on... more power is always better. I'll probably be stuck to my truck bed when I arrive on site and I wont be able to take it with me.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a small coil on your machine too? I was using the tiny 5" puck on my T2 for sifting, but now that I use the Deus, the 9" in the stock Deus Fast program is all I use. I'm still surprised at what I unmask when I stop hearing the grunts and all the iron is stuck to the magnet.

Awesome! Did you get the one Glenn has? I have that same 250lb magnet, but I just ordered the 400lb one today. :laughing7: The 250lb one works great, but come on... more power is always better. I'll probably be stuck to my truck bed when I arrive on site and I wont be able to take it with me.

I use the 5X8 Garrett coil on my AT Pro. Very satisfied with it, especially in heavy iron.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That yellow material, is combware. Very hard to find whole items of it, and if you can find a piece with the antique dealer, it's very expensive. That is indeed an 18th century fish hook. HARD to get.

Thanks Smokey. I have found quite a few smaller shards of combware at the site but none of any real size; it must have been fairly brittle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up the magnet you suggested for my next sifting adventure today, congrats on the pewter and fish hook Glenn

Thanks Jon-once you have converted your sifter to a rocker type and tried it out I bet you'll be addicted to sifting too :icon_biggrin:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations!

I love the button and fish hook! :icon_thumright:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds! Congrats!
The fish hook is a neat find, just given the fact it is tiny and lasted this long in the ground.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness you find some amazing early artifacts. I freak out when I find a single stem or bowl. You have trash bags full of them. Your tenacity is pretty damn impressive

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread