Defeated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter and I went out today to an abandoned 120 year old house site. This site was out in the boonies so we took a regular shovel with us because we didn't have to worry about lawn grass. We have had no rain in 2 months and the ground is a brick. After digging ten hits ( 8 pieces of trash 1 penny and a metal comb) we had to quit. We broke the shovel, not the handle, but the metal scoop. It would take a hammer and a chisel right now to dig a 6 inch deep hole. All I can say is rain please come.

Upvote 8

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Happens to all of us. Hope you get your rain and can get back out there. Was the penny at least a wheat?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bamadad...the ground here is nice, almost like butter!....BUT...this summer it was like trying to hunt a parking lot, darn near impossible. A little Tnet advice: snatch your daughter up and go hit the newer parks and gobble up all the shallow clad..and jewelry. It is what I done and got me through the rough time at least until it rained and Mother Earth softened up and surrendered her deep, hidden goodies. Good luck and happy hunting, hope this helps...ddf

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain , here N of Atlanta, W Severe Drought Conditions , Even in the Woods the Ground is like Concrete.

It has opened up some 'Normally' Wet/Sludgy Low Ground, but that is where all the Trash has (ended up) after every heavy rain for years .

This happened it seems like 5 years ago but really I think it's been almost 10 or more with Water Restrictions A-lot of Pressure Washing guy's lost their business if they did not have the funds to buy a Tank & Trailer & get their water elsewhere.

I just got a Big Dollar Sampson Shovel & it barely helps & Forget it in rocky areas. Also a 95% chance you will strike you target be it a pull tab , AL/Ga Civil War Button.

Heck even over the Summer those Heavy PM Thunderstorms Missed my house 8 out of 10 times.
GL & Pray For RAIN!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had the same conditions in PA this summer. All my permissions were put on hold. I did the same thing dirtdigginfool recommends...........

jp4077

Oct 21, 2016
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Minelab Equinox 600
White's Surf Dualfield PI
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Better days are coming.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
For those in the south, weather.com says it'll be hotter and drier this winter. The north will be cooler and wetter and they say this is because of a la nina. I'm not looking forward to all the snow this winter, that's for sure.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the hard soil, I think we all can sympathize. I lost 8 weeks of permission hunting due to the extremely dry July and August, locally, this past summer. Two prime months gone. It's going to be in the 40's tomorrow, and with a few layers of clothes, I will be back out there trying to reach my total $ and silver coin goals. GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread