Counterfeit quarter???

metaldetectinggod

Sep 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello found this today in my pocket change it doesn't look on point with the details no reeded edge too also very shiny. Do you guys think this is a counterfeit coin or what. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015165.907947.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015185.535862.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015210.403785.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015245.290355.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015257.352423.jpg

Upvote 7

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one quarter and a nickle

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually when I see a post like this, I roll my eyes, and move on....thinking that the OP is reaching for straws....
Not this time though....I think you got something there...
Your right...it's definitely goofy looking.:icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
besides the Edge the (Ducks :tongue3:) beak,
Quarter Dollar are too close Together.

This caught my eye

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479015210.403785.jpg
If not considered Counterfeit, It's a very interesting Error.

good Find :icon_thumright:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only to someone who collects them counterfeits.
but not sure if it is a magicians coin or counterfeit.

Just remember if it is a Counterfeit.
that technically may make it illegal to own.
Probably not enough to be arrested for, But
maybe confiscated by a Stickler of the law.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
only to someone who collects them counterfeits.
but not sure if it is a magicians coin or counterfeit.

Just remember if it is a Counterfeit.
that technically may make it illegal to own.
Probably not enough to be arrested for, But
maybe confiscated by a Stickler of the law.

Really?? As long as he didn't try to pass it off as real, I wouldn't think there would be any problems with keeping it. Kinda like copying dollar bills on your inkjet - but if you don't try to spend it or use it as currency, then how can simply owning it be illegal?

Btw, great find on the cointalk post. I was thinking the same thing before going there - a cheap, though profitable counterfeit. If made of steel, or even stainless steel, profit margins could potentially be even higher, especially of these are made from punch press waste and gotten free. Could be very lucrative for someone with the right connections and the desire to make such a monstrosity.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?? As long as he didn't try to pass it off as real, I wouldn't think there would be any problems with keeping it. Kinda like copying dollar bills on your inkjet - but if you don't try to spend it or use it as currency, then how can simply owning it be illegal?

Btw, great find on the cointalk post. I was thinking the same thing before going there - a cheap, though profitable counterfeit. If made of steel, or even stainless steel, profit margins could potentially be even higher, especially of these are made from punch press waste and gotten free. Could be very lucrative for someone with the right connections and the desire to make such a monstrosity.

I just wonder if ya Sent it in to be Slabbed.
or walked into the Mint with it and asked them about it.
If you could ever get it back.
at least in the Shape it is.
Or if it would need to be Counter-stamped fake first :dontknow:
I never read that far into the laws

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool, not long ago a major coin counterfeiting group was busted in Italy, it was not until about 6 months later that they found out where the coins where being minted, USD, CAD GBP where being done on Silicy and Euro was being done in Northern Italy.

The only one that had ties back to China was the one mint in northern italy, that case is still on trial due to the 300 plus workers found at the mint who where under the age of 11.

I only have a few counterfeit coins my self, I have mostly notes, but notes with SS certs. It is legal to own them and if ever questioned about a counterfeit in your possession you must begin the conversion with it is a counterfeit. To not directly present it as a fake means you are conspiring to use it as real, which would just be idiotic since it is worth more when it can be directly linked back to a case.

Just keep checking the news about every six months until the case closes, then the examples of the fakes will be made known. A known quarter can bring as much as 10 bucks, one with a cert can bring 20 bucks, case evidence with a cert can bring in 50 bucks.

Coins are the big thing in first world nations, paper is the big thing in Third and Second.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Magician's quarter.

Magnetic for the 'slight of hand' tricks.

Now you see it, now you don't.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years ago I was watching a TV show about a guy who was counterfeiting $10.00 bills. As usual he got greedy and careless and was caught with a lot of the fakes and convicted. When interviewed he mentioned something about taking the ink off of $1.00 bills and using the "blank" to reprint into a higher denomination as his next goal. I thought really... take the ink off...? Is that even possible???

So with nothing better to do I went to Lowes, bought some stuff off the shelf and thought I'd see if it was possible. On day 3 and $20.00 later I discovered it is entirely possible to do and EASY! After running the last 3 through the wash they came out completely blank and the texture was perfect. I would have never thought it possible if that seed of thought wasn't planted into my head. My wife keep telling me that it's impossible and was also surprised it could be done that easily. I wasn't stupid enough to go out and buy a good laser printer but I'd hate to think how many folks have done this...?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brad - much more dabbling on those bills and you might have ended up with some more really nice posts for the injury thread! ROFL - Copy.gif

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad - much more dabbling on those bills and you might have ended up with some more really nice posts for the injury thread! View attachment 1380818

No doubt.... I think I'll stick with Toy Boxes!

Now to the OP.... I wonder how many of those type quarters actually are in circulation?

cazadore

Oct 29, 2016
Detector(s) used
several
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting find ..it is not a real quarter for sure ...i wonder who did it

jp4077

Oct 21, 2016
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Minelab Equinox 600
White's Surf Dualfield PI
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The olive branches are supposed to overlap the eagle's wing tips. That coin doesn't do that. I would say it's counterfeit.

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1910 Barber dime that is made of plated lead. I guess back then it was worth it to counterfeit 10 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread