Huge Bucket Lister For Me....Luckenbooth Silver Trade Brooch

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me just say that this Luckenbooth brooch is something I have always wanted to find. I have never obsessed about it like some other things because you rarely see them pop up and it's something that I knew I may never dig. A lot of my Scottish ancestors settled in this area and my mom and I have talked about how cool it would be to find one of these brooches. Now for the very strange coincidence. It was just the other day that Patriot dug one of these as well as an antler. Well I too dug an antler today as well as an iron shoe and a tiny shoe buckle frame. I also dug the guts of a shoe buckle, a destroyed colonial cufflink and a more modern link as well. But enough about that stuff....let's talk about the Luckenbooth brooch. I was hunting for a super early site (1660-1688) and having zero luck finding anything. Then I got into a small iron patch and got a crappy signal that had some iron mixed in. I knew it was deep but figured it was a deep nail. dug about 10" plug and that baby came out of the bottom. It took a minute for it to hit me. It didn't look silver when it came out and I wasn't quite sure if it was colonial. I figured it was early with the crown on top and started to believe it could possibly be Luckenbooth but didn't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. I texted Scrappy and OutdoorAdv and eventually it was confirmed that it likely was what I hoped it was. I still didn't allow myself to believe it was silver though.
Finally I got home and rubbed a little lemon juice on it. Sure enough it cleaned up great and I knew it was early silver. Super psyched to have found this and even more psyched to give it to my mom who will truly appreciate it. Thanks for listening to my rambling guys
IMG_5429.JPG
FullSizeRender 15.jpg
IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 50
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is but I'm happy for you. Congrats! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry. This one is likely a Scottish and would have been given as an engagement gift or at the wedding itself. It dates likely anywhere in the 18th century I believe

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah man! Definitely has that crude yet absolutely beautiful craftsmanship of early trade silver. What an awesome find, and bizarre that it's the second one posted in a week.

You asked for it, and you got it haha! Big congrats, and obviously I'm hitting the banner button.

Thank you J. I love the look of this thing. I appreciate the BANNER vote but will just be happy to have this as my personal BANNER in my collection....or more precisely in my moms collection

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to add a freshly dug pic. Now you know why I was skeptical about it being silver
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479135027.339693.jpg

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my God. That thing is incredible. Rarity and beauty in one piece is a killer combo, and I can see why it was on your list. For a guy who doesn't get out to hunt very often (compared to many, at least) you sure make your hunts count, Abe. Happy as hell for ya. If there were a banner button on the app I'd hit it now. I'll have to remember to do it later from my laptop.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find Abe! Congratulations-that thing is in outstanding condition; I know you must be stoked.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, very RARE find, Indeed..

I chance that my post will not have merit...but here are just my thoughts...

I tried web searching 15 years ago on my find, which I posted here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/489157-colonial-era-silver-witchs-heart.html

Going by web research, and somewhat by common sense, I think yours might not be for trade for Indians, because it is the twin heart for romance/relationship. Why would some person go to the intensive extra work of twin hearts for a "European" tradition, if it was to be traded to Indians?

I have no idea why the workmanship is "somewhat" crude for a love/relationship token, though.

I'd like to hear your thoughts as well as other viewers.

The article I pasted in my thread, alludes to the twin heart as a later "meaning" of the original "Witches Heart"

I agree with your assessment and believe this at least originated as a Scottish wedding/engagement gift. What I'm not sure about is whether or not these may have been used as trade with the natives after its journey to what would become America. My title is probably poorly worded as I'm pretty positive that it at least originated as the traditional Scottish gift. It is interesting that mine has no makers mark that I can see. Not sure if that is pertinent or not?
Yours is a really beautiful piece. Congrats to you

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...that's really nice!

I had to wiki it to see what it was. Being a sweetheart item, you may be able to find the potential original owner by marriage certificates at that location.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congrats there Ahab...That is incredible itself to see 2 of them dug about a week apart.. Also funny is I was thinking when would I see another similar one dug!
I really think it would be fantastic to see yours right up beside mine!!! I also am of Scottish descent, however I believe my was made by the Iroquois as they traded with the Micmac nation...still not 100% yet....

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one fine luckenbooth brooch!
They sure don't show up everyday that's for sure and in such great condition; interesting to see another so soon after the last

I like yours, it reminded me of the one I found a few years back
Mine is the Scottish variety
View attachment 1380988
My goodness that's a gorgeous piece and very similar in design to mine. Thanks for sharing that. Did yours have any makers mark?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess when you posted this on my post "Psyched to see this up top! Very deservingand unique. Congrats bro. Let's just blow the doors off IP lol" you were DEAD SERIOUS!!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess when you posted this on my post "Psyched to see this up top! Very deservingand unique. Congrats bro. Let's just blow the doors off IP lol" you were DEAD SERIOUS!!

Ha that's pretty funny man! I'm pretty sure he's a bit jealous of our Luckenbooth club lol. Little did I know it would be with the same find. I'm guessing they would never put mine up beside yours but I'm super happy that we both found a big bucket lister. I have wanted one since I first knew what they were man

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Abe, that's one for the highlight reels!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the history lesson on the brooch. Congrats on a spectacular find.

Best of luck to you sir!

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you Abe. You must be doing something right. So enjoy the stories and finds. If I can't get out myself, I can enjoy the stories and finds you guys make. It is amazing that you have such an old site, and find such nice stuff. Go get um. Can't wait to see what you find next!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous Luckenbooth!!! Congratulations brother. It's a show stopper for sure!

Thank you my friend. What a wonderful hobby we get to enjoy

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty amazing that you found one Abe, given the fact that you and your mom were just talking about it. Crazy how stuff like that works.
Trade silver or not, that brooch is a thing of beauty. I like the crudeness of it which confirms it's not a modern one. Congrats brother and now start talking to your mom about colonial gold!

Ha yup the old colonial gold is high on my list but considering I can't find modern gold I won't hold my breath. My title sucks and is misleading considering this is the Scottish love brooch style. I just do t know if most of these started that way and eventually started to be traded with the natives or if that was not the case. But as I'm descended from the Scottish that last part matters little to me. And if my mom and gf think it's cool....that's really an accomplishment lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions