Huge Bucket Lister For Me....Luckenbooth Silver Trade Brooch

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me just say that this Luckenbooth brooch is something I have always wanted to find. I have never obsessed about it like some other things because you rarely see them pop up and it's something that I knew I may never dig. A lot of my Scottish ancestors settled in this area and my mom and I have talked about how cool it would be to find one of these brooches. Now for the very strange coincidence. It was just the other day that Patriot dug one of these as well as an antler. Well I too dug an antler today as well as an iron shoe and a tiny shoe buckle frame. I also dug the guts of a shoe buckle, a destroyed colonial cufflink and a more modern link as well. But enough about that stuff....let's talk about the Luckenbooth brooch. I was hunting for a super early site (1660-1688) and having zero luck finding anything. Then I got into a small iron patch and got a crappy signal that had some iron mixed in. I knew it was deep but figured it was a deep nail. dug about 10" plug and that baby came out of the bottom. It took a minute for it to hit me. It didn't look silver when it came out and I wasn't quite sure if it was colonial. I figured it was early with the crown on top and started to believe it could possibly be Luckenbooth but didn't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed. I texted Scrappy and OutdoorAdv and eventually it was confirmed that it likely was what I hoped it was. I still didn't allow myself to believe it was silver though.
Finally I got home and rubbed a little lemon juice on it. Sure enough it cleaned up great and I knew it was early silver. Super psyched to have found this and even more psyched to give it to my mom who will truly appreciate it. Thanks for listening to my rambling guys
IMG_5429.JPG
FullSizeRender 15.jpg
IMG_5453.JPG
IMG_5452.JPG
IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 50
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece of old silver!! So Great to see you able to scratch this off your bucket list!
Thanks for the history lesson in this post.

Thanks buddy. Glad I could share a bit of knowledge with this find

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So did you show your mom yet?!

I will see her on Wednesday as she's going to be taking care of my puppy dog and coon kitty when I'm gone. I'll post a pic when I give it to her

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a awesome find abe

You deserve it man

HH Jer

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a awesome find abe

You deserve it man

HH Jer

Thanks buddy. You know how much time and effort the research takes up. Nailing a good one makes it all worth it

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, we are so happy for you! Congrats. -Lisa & John

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better late than never...eh ?
Awesome find. It is quite the coincidence...rare to find, two in short order. Head scratch.
I'm glad that a couple others added their dug examples, like some other things, silver buckles for example are rare finds, one a year, one every few years ? Compared to US gold coins quite common.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, Abe! I think I found part of one similar a while back, but it was so broken and bent up I can't tell for sure.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GR8 find Ahab8
Your finds are inspirational

Thanks relicmeister.... and thanks for putting my lucky number in your reply. I might have to go out tomorrow to see if it brings me any luck

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better late than never...eh ?
Awesome find. It is quite the coincidence...rare to find, two in short order. Head scratch.
I'm glad that a couple others added their dug examples, like some other things, silver buckles for example are rare finds, one a year, one every few years ? Compared to US gold coins quite common.

Thank you buddy. Yes they seem to be quite rare. Probably get killed for saying this but I'd much prefer one of these over a coin with tens of thousands minted whether it's a gold coin or not. I so want to dig a silver buckle some day. That is very high on my list

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Abe! I think I found part of one similar a while back, but it was so broken and bent up I can't tell for sure.

Thanks buddy and it was nice to see a post from you. I miss seeing some of the guys like you and Greylock and others. Always enjoyed the finds you all came up with

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm sorry to bring this back but I finally saw my mom and gave her the Luckenbooth brooch. Here she is all smiles. Happy Thanksgiving All
IMG_5477.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's such a sweet photo Abe. I wish my mom would be impressed and happy with any of my finds. You look so proud bro - priceless!

Dude, honerable mention!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for being so late to reply on this great recovered piece Abe, congrats on the find it's a beauty.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's such a sweet photo Abe. I wish my mom would be impressed and happy with any of my finds. You look so proud bro - priceless!

Dude, honerable mention!

Thanks buddy. My mom is obsessed with our families genealogy and is fascinated by the finds I come up with. This one in particular is a special one and a relic that we have discussed and has a special meaning. So nice to give it to her on Thanksgiving. I am a lucky guy. As you know even Kim gets it. She she's how passionate I am about these early finds and that makes it important to her as well. I lucked out with the ladies in my life.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for being so late to reply on this great recovered piece Abe, congrats on the find it's a beauty.

Thank you Pep. I certainly appreciate it and I appreciate use how kind you have always been. I was very happy to see you and Dave posting. Warmed my little Irish heart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions