Our First Eagle Buttons, Seated Lib, and More -- in N. Utah...!

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Civil war era stuff is hard to come by in Utah, and I know that you Southern and Eastern folks find cooler stuff than this in your own yards, but my 9 and 6 year old daughters (the real treasure hounds), and especially me, feel really honored to have been able to save some of Utah's history.

After two trips to a remote area that a good friend researched and was gracious enough to share with us, we were able to recover a few relics from our past. I was swinging an AT Pro, my oldest was swinging a new Bounty Hunter, and my littlest was in charge of the "Garrett-Carrot" -- which, by the way, she used all by herself to find the ONLY piece of silver on a recent trip to the CA beaches. (Thanks again to Scott Hacker @ KelleyCo for hooking us up!). In a combined total of about fifteen hours, we were able to dig a handful of fired bullets (which we could use some help identifying if anyone is willing), two Eagle Buttons, those neat little brass/copper thingies they used to light/fire the cannons, one incredibly preserved silver coin, and a few other knick-knacks.

About had a heart attack when this popped out. Only our 2nd silver for the year, and easily our oldest coin to date. When I realized it was a coin, I was screaming in my mind, "Please be a Barber, please be a Barber!" and was disappointed when I didn't recognize the pattern I was seeing through the mud/grime, assuming that of all things, we'd dug a foriegn coin of some kind, or perhaps a token. But when I saw Lady Liberty just relaxing there on her stoop... I swore. A lot. The good kind. Under my breath. (Mostly)

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

I don't have any idea how that divot got into the back of this sweet coin, but it gives me artistic license to come up with a great story regarding a young man, taking shrapnel in the leg, while saving a fellow soldier who had fallen behind... or something like that. 😏 (I wish I knew how to rotate the pictures on here -- at least on my iPhone, half of them are upside down.)

IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG

This is the second button we found, uncleaned as of yet, along what looked like an old forgotten road or path. The indents were faint, but it sure looked like an old road. I mentioned it to my daughter and after approx 15 seconds of detecting the area, this sucker popped up for us. It is flatter and larger in diameter than the other one we found (maybe it's bigger because it has been flattened?) and the Eagle appears to be different from the other as well. Again, i suppose it could just be the fact that it's been getting crushed under ground for 120ish years... Any experts care to chime in?

IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG

This is the first one we found, and it was essentially laying on the surface -- which is incredible to me. Compared to one that my friend found that day, this one surely looks as though it has been stepped on by a cow or two over the years, but still cleaned up nice. Sorry for the cruddy pictures on this one!

IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG

Here are some of the odds and ends. I'm not sure about the bullets; all I know is that some Civil War ammo had three or four rings and they were LARGE -- most of these seem to fit that description, with the exception of that little pistol-looking type; had the white patina of the old lead, but has funky grooves on it which makes me think it might be modern. Thoughts anyone?

Anyway, thanks for letting me show off and brag a little; the two trips we made last week were easily the highlight of our year and I was proud/excited/grateful to have my two little girls out there with me. To see them get as excited about digging up a smooshed up bullet as they do on Christmas morning was worth the 48,729 pull-tabs we dug this year.

Happy hunting all, safe travels, long days and pleasant nights.

Upvote 7

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you were on an Indian Wars site as opposed to the General Albert Sidney Johnston "Mormon Rebellion" relics that date to 1857-58. Your bullet pictured with the penny is post civil war. You friction primers look like ones that are found on Civil War sites. You eagle buttons are also post war. Nice finds and I'm sure your daughters will be clamoring to get out again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread