1788 Reale found in NW Ohio Dried up Creek Bed ( Update Ring Returned )

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Gary and I went detecting today in a Dried up Creek bed, here in NW Ohio. What a Day, we started off by spraying ourselves down with bug spray, that always feels good.

Of course we dug the usual junk, beer cans, metal junk and so on. But then it started to get a whole lot better.

Gary's finds for the day included a 1788 Reale, 1962 & 1963 Roosevelt dimes, a Really neat Sterling Silver Bracelet, 2 silver rings and a ear ring and a few Wheat penny's. Wow, what a great day he had.

I found 3 rings, one I think is gold and one is junk and one of them is a 2004 girls class ring, which I hope to return. I also found some kind of token that says LOOK Savings Medalion, and a Mother Goose token that is really beat up. I also found a Rifle badge and eight Wheat pennies, the dates are really hard to read, since I found them all in the dried up creek bed. One of them was under a huge slab of rock, but I managed to move it and get the coin out from under it.

We really had a great day, we plan on going back again tomorrow.

We also found a bunch of new coins and assorted junk including 5 keys and a couple of allen wrenches.

Gary and I got out today, Saturday, can't say we tore anything up. Gary started off by finding a Buffalo nickel, couldn't read the date. Then he found several Wheat penny's and a silver ring.

I didn't find that much at all, my first good find was a Life Guard Whistle and lots of new coins. No ring for me today, but on the way back to the car, I did pick up a deep signal that turned out to be a V-nickel. Gary said that I always get my best finds on the way back to the car. I never turn off my detector, until I open the trunk lid of the car.

We both found our share of junk items and many clad coins.

Hope your having a great weekend.

Hi all, I posted this tonight but they put it in the Honorable mention site. I returned the ring Tuesday to a lady in Angola Indiana. To see the post, see Another Ring Returned on today's listing. Moved by Jeff of Pa.
HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Gary\'s finds for the day1.jpg
    Gary\'s finds for the day1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Denny\'s finds for the day1.jpg
    Denny\'s finds for the day1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Gary detecting in Creek.jpg
    Gary detecting in Creek.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Gary\'s and Denny\'s coins and ACE 250.jpg
    Gary\'s and Denny\'s coins and ACE 250.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,345
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1788 Reale found in NW Ohio Dried up Creek Bed

GrantWA said:
I am curious, what made you think there would be coins in the creek bed?

Location, Location, Location. I guess that just about sums it up. Also I've hunted the creek bed before with some great results. The Creek bed is just like any other site you go back to, you just never know what your gonna find and you never get it all.

codycat (also known as Borat) said:
Great finds. Dried up creek beds. WoW Great idea!!!!

About that High School class ring, what year is that from, and is it from a local school?
Again, fantastic finds.

Well the Class ring is a 2004, I think it came from a Indiana School and I found it in Ohio. I'll try to call the school next week and see if the girl who lost the ring went to school there.

Quantrill33 said:
Very, very nice. How long has that creek been dried up?

Q

The Creek bed just dried up this summer. With the heat wave we are having it didn't take long to dry up this creek bed. Earlier this summer, this same creek, flooded many times.

Thanks to all who have replied. Glad you liked the post. Gary and I are getting ready to go back to the area again today. Wish us luck. LOL

HH to all and remember, keep the coil to the soil or Creek Bed!!!

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1788 Reale found in NW Ohio Dried up Creek Bed

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
That marksmans badge is actually a Combat Infantryman's Badge - first award. It indicates at least three months service as an infantryman in combat. It can also be awarded post-humously if you are killed before serving three months. Stars indicate subsequent awards - usually in other wars. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

Thanks for the information. I couldn't remember how a solider got that medal. I had a rifle range medal, but it didn't look anything like this one.

Thanks again for the information.

HH, Ringfinder

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1788 Reale found in NW Ohio Dried up Creek Bed ( Saturday Update)

Excellent - makes you wish the Reale could talk doesn't it? Would love to know how it got there!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

What an awesome day... Looks like someone called the right place to hunt.
~Nash~

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe

nice spot to hunt I would never think to hunt in one thanks

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Wow, what a great place to hunt. Congrats on the awesome finds. Keep em coming, good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great looking find's Rf....Excellent keeper's,Congrat's to you both. :)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Great finds Denny. Send my congratulations to Gary too! That Reale is sweet. That's the first I have seen someone post finding one in Ohio. Here is a dumb question but... does the area have history back to the early 1800's? I can't imagine just detecting a random creekbed without some idea it was used reagularly by someone living in close proximity.

The jewelry is also great. You guys made out. :)

Bob

R

RUDY2003

Man thats one nice real and lots of fings.....
Perfect place to hunt.....Good luck.

Keep diggin...

MichiganJason

Apr 20, 2007
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike Minelab Xterra 50 Minelab Quattro

Goes to show you that you dont need a $1000 machine to find good stuff. Nice Finds!

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mirage said:
Great finds Denny. Send my congratulations to Gary too! That Reale is sweet. That's the first I have seen someone post finding one in Ohio. Here is a dumb question but... does the area have history back to the early 1800's? I can't imagine just detecting a random creekbed without some idea it was used regularly by someone living in close proximity.

The jewelry is also great. You guys made out. :)

Bob

Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply. Yes there was activity in this area in the early 1800's. I think they were Indians. We think that maybe a trapper might have lost the coin while checking his traps. Or maybe an Indian lost the coin. But if anyone knows the history of Ohio, we had French and British fighting in our state long before it was a state. Just think, when Ohio became a state, we were still fighting Indians and the British.

As for the creek, I've hunted this site before, but it's been awhile. The way the drought is going, we might be checking other dried up creeks. Of course if all of you guys don't beat Gary and I too them. LOL

MichiganJason said:
Goes to show you that you don't need a $1000 machine to find good stuff. Nice Finds!

Yep you got that right! I guess what you really need is learing the detector you using. Of course using the ACE 250 doesn't hurt. Gary and I learn something about this amazing detector every time we go out hunting.

HH all, Ringfinder

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006

you are right about never knowing what you will find in nw ohio.....im up near findlay and last fall i pulled a 1828 belgum 1/2 franc out of a yard....is pretty worn but im still trying to figure out how that got here lol....hhh jon

T

TreasureTales

Just a fantastic assortment of goodies. WTG!!! I absolutely loooooovvvvvvvvveeeee that bracelet. You guys rock.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Great looking finds,

I'm still looking for my first reale. I'd check that bed a few more times. I'd also make sure there isn't a foundation or cabin site somewhere near there.

Water is a great sign that something was around there at one point. Maybe more will wash out after a few hard rains.

HH Jer

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update. I posted the story of retuning the class ring today. Jeff of Pa. locked it out and sent it to the Honorable mention site. I'm inclosing a picture of the lady I returned the ring to. To see the whole story go to the above mentioned site.

Attachments

• Class Ring Returned July 7 2007.jpg
    Class Ring Returned July 7 2007.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Class Ring Returned July 7 2007.jpg
    Class Ring Returned July 7 2007.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 265

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread