Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday I took a ride up to The Bronx with my E-Trac in tow. I have been having a difficult time locating Silver. I figured it might be a good idea to revisit a few spots that have produced in the past. In 4 hours the E-Trac managed to locate 60 clad coins. I did investigate a Nickel signal and it turned up a Gold Band. Sadly when I got it home, it was cleaned and examined a little closer. No markings and some obvious flaking on the inside of the band.
The E-Trac also sounded off on a charm that looked like white gold and had a diamond that was half the size of a penny. I guess my thoughts went immediately to WHITE GOLD because I know you aren't going to find a diamond this size in a silver charm. Well after cleaning and searching for a gold marking, I went and got the Diamond tester. Le me tell you. It is one pretty Zirconium sparkler.

IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5507.JPG

On Tuesday, it rained all day. When the rain finally stopped, a total of 1.8 inches had saturated the soil.
Now everyone knows how a good rainfall can bring out a silver signal so it was a no brainer. Yesterday I packed up the E-Trac and asked it to scream at me. The really moist soil had pennies coming in like dimes and quarters. In 3 1/2 hours I recovered 63 coins.
One penny signal I dug was obviously the size of a nickel. I rechecked the hole thinking there might still be a penny there. Nothing. I look at this black nickel I'm holding and decided to clean the area above Monticello's Dome. Well what do you know. A nice Capital P was staring back at me. A 1944 War Nickel. Finally, a silver coin.

IMG_5503.JPG IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG IMG_5512.JPG

Upvote 14
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

Those fake jewelry pieces sure get you heart pumping; still fun to find!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, awesome hunt! Congrats. -Lisa & John

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like an epic find, dig and pocket hunt!!
What you did to that nickle is exactly what I do with every nickle I dig........look for the BIG mint over the Monticello.......then check it when I get home for a possible Henning.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a few good days!! I could use a good junker to give me one of those 60 second rushes. Lol
Glad to see you did get silver!! Congrats!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the war nickle!
Ya those z sparklers can really get you going for a few minutes.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on those heart-stoppers and the war nickel ATW. What size coil did you use?

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad day at all! Congratulations!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I do have other sized coils. I'm using the stock coil

I find more at hunted out sites with the sniper coil, I am getting more fond of it than the stock coil. I am driving down to Akron in a minute or 2 to hit a small park that has been around for about 110 years. Having dreams of Barbers, Mercs, other silvers and maybe a VDB cent or IHC.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more at hunted out sites with the sniper coil, I am getting more fond of it than the stock coil. I am driving down to Akron in a minute or 2 to hit a small park that has been around for about 110 years. Having dreams of Barbers, Mercs, other silvers and maybe a VDB cent or IHC.

You know, you gave me food for thought. I'm going to switched over to my smaller S.E.F. coil.
A smaller coil worked well on the AT PRO.
What do you have to lose??
(As my friend, Donald J. would say).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt! Love the war nickel. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread