πŸ₯‡ BANNER Incredibly Rare Dragoon Militia/Special Order Regiment Button 1790-1812

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
ssss.png IMG_007211.png Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a while, hope you've all been well. Yesterday, I found this 20mm flat eagle button. The closest match I can find are some Diplomatic Service buttons from the early 1800's. Has anyone seen this one before? The back mark reads: Double Gilt. Any input is appreciated!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Update: Through personal correspondence with several advanced collectors, it appears I can narrow the field to two theories: one is that it is an early 1790's-1812 Dragoon Militia button. The other theory is that is a special order button from a small regiment. I was told of one more coat button sized example dug in VA and of a cuff button size one dug in SC. I was also shown a picture of a similar coat sized button. It's possible that the one I was shown is the same one as the coat button one from VA I was told about. So it appears it's not a unknown button, but it remains undescribed. Still, with only 3 or 4 examples that I've heard about and only one other example photographed, I think this is my rarest button yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 57

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I definitely think it's a beautiful button. I wish I was at home with my books, but as it is I'm of no help. But I will say that's one awesome button. Like you said - looks like very early 1800's

Cheers in the find

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer button man and GREAT to see ya back on here :occasion14: Perhaps a variation of Alberts OD5 or OD6-A George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? 1790?s to 1820?sU.S. Federal OfficialDiplomatic Service Army * Navy However neither are cast like yours. My avatar picture is what I believe to be a Diplomatic Service button variation of OD7 that is not in any books... I dug it a few months ago at a cellar. Glad to see you're stilling getting out man.

Edit: look at the first 8 buttons or so in the link above.

Thank you, those pictures were the ones that led me to believe this is a diplomatic button. A Washington would be great, and that was my first thought when it came out of the dirt. I didn't see it in Don T's book, maybe in Albert's?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, it looks like OD5-B is cast with a similar pointed shield and eagle, but the "e. pluribus unum" ribbon is more like OD6-A. Yours has something else above the ribbon too that I cant tell what it is.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, those pictures were the ones that led me to believe this is a diplomatic button. A Washington would be great, and that was my first thought when it came out of the dirt. I didn't see it in Don T's book, maybe in Albert's?

I wont have my Albert's book in front of me until later this evening, but perhaps its in there. The GW Inaugural site has great photos of a few choice buttons... the Albert's book could very well have yours listed.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, it looks like OD5-B is cast with a similar pointed shield and eagle, but the "e. pluribus unum" ribbon is more like OD6-A. Yours has something else above the ribbon too that I cant tell what it is.

Have you seen any with the horseback rider at the top?

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you seen any with the horseback rider at the top?

Ahh... so its a horseback rider up there above the ribbon... I can see what he is now! I don't know of any off the top of my head, but when I get home this evening I will take a look.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh... so its a horseback rider up there above the ribbon... I can see what he is now! I don't know of any off the top of my head, but when I get home this evening I will take a look.

wow, exciting find! im interested to see what this ends up being. in pretty amazing shape.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outdoor, hurry home--we're waiting in anticipation! ;-). Oxbow, congrats on this wonderful button! -Lisa & John

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Early Diplomatic Button, any thoughts?

Wow that's a killer button buddy! I will check my Alberts book when I get home. Excited to see what this may be

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know exactly what it is but i do know that it's a killer button! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Nobody i have spoken with has seen one before. I guess that's a good sign.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this one on Facebook and commented that it loos like a Dragoon above the eagle.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw this one on Facebook and commented that it loos like a Dragoon above the eagle.

I saw your post. I agree, but I still can't find anything comparable. I was told it's not in Albert's book. Nobody has mentioned seeing one like it yet, so hopefully it's a new variety.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your post. I agree, but I still can't find anything comparable. I was told it's not in Albert's book. Nobody has mentioned seeing one like it yet, so hopefully it's a new variety.
I certainly have never seen it. It will take some serious research to determine what it is, if it's that is even possible. You got yourself a good one there :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread