deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this where we've been digging the Gardiners bullets. We think it's pewter and looks like there's some remains of a mount on back like it was a brooch or pin.
Never saw anything like this one. Found the round ball not to far away from it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 9
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice brooch and round ball recovery, congratulations!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking pin/brooch, if that's indeed what it is. It very well could be pewter given the age of the site (musket ball etc). Be sure to handle those items carefully. Old pewter can really chip and flake away once removed from the ground. Congrats.

John

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look pewter in the picture, plus its not a great metal (or the usual choice) when inserting paste stones. Circa 1900 Brooch.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find! Looks like a bird of some sort. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your brooch is a white metal a.k.a. pot metal which are most often 30's/40's, although I can tell that your piece is one of the popular knock-offs from one of the Marcel Boucher bird of paradise designs -- off hand, I believe that this one is based on his 'Jack to Martha' brooch from the early 40's. It appears that the beak tip on the right hand side is missing, as well as a portion of the tail feathers on the lower left.

Hope this helps.

gormer

Mar 20, 2010
Similar bird - ?

Bit late to the party, but I have a detected bird thingamajigger (brooch? - no indication that there was ever a pin) very similar to this. The indentations are very shallow, so much so that they're almost flat - certainly they aren't deep enough to have held stones. Looks like the design was just punched or stamped into some sort of base metal that once had silver over it. Any ideas? Found on a CW/antebellum site in TN. I'd posted on another site and was told 1930s/1940s, but someone in jewelry told me this looked earlier and handmade rather than machine. Holler if you've got any other insights!
bird1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread