Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I posted this rotary seal commenting that I would return to the 1756 home site where I found it and try to find the stone seal.

Second matrix.jpg

That was actually the second one I had found. The first one I found back in June 2016, same site, did not have the bezel ring.
Original.jpg

Well I returned to the site today to burn off a few Thanksgiving calories, I was amazed to find the actual seal and bezel ring to the first one!
In situ.jpg

I got home, and after some careful cleaning, was able to remount the bezel ring and seal into the original one I found in June.
Both together.jpg

It is a double sided seal with a lion on one side and a bust on the other. With some indirect light, I was able to get these photos.

Lion side.jpg Bust side.jpg

Thank goodness the stone was still inside the metal bezel ring, or I never would have found it. I've been metal detecting for years, but this has got to be one of my best finds. Thanks for having a look!

Last edited:
Upvote 96
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is an AMAZING find-to reunite the seal with the mount, all in great condition AND a double-side seal. Congratulations-sometimes perseverance pays off big time. Definitely banner material-my vote is in

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece of history and to reunite the missing piece from your first one, Banner all the way!!
Congrats and hope you can still sleep!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is an AMAZING find-to reunite the seal with the mount, all in great condition AND a double-side seal. Congratulations-sometimes perseverance pays off big time. Definitely banner material-my vote is in

Thanks, DND. I've been hunting this site regularly over the past two years. Just when I think it's hunted out, BAM! Oh how I love this hobby.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece of history and to reunite the missing piece from your first one, Banner all the way!!
Congrats and hope you can still sleep!!

Thanks, deershed. Went to bed last night feeling like the little boy that just got his new Red Rider BB gun for Christmas!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing I vote banner

Thanks, Trapperart. I am now really stoked at the possibility of finding the other seal. Can one person be that lucky? We will see.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply stunning!!! Your persistence paid off! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My banner nomination:

"This is an exquisite piece of the history of epistolary practices that took a lot of persistence to make whole. It is beautiful, functional, unique, and tells a great story."

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banner nomination:

"This is an exquisite piece of the history of epistolary practices that took a lot of persistence to make whole. It is beautiful, functional, unique, and tells a great story."

Very kind (and eloquent) of you, ZK. Not only do I learn a lot of history through TNet, I'm also building my vocabulary!

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very kind (an eloquent) of you, ZK. Not only do I learn a lot of history through TNet, I'm also building my vocabulary!

Hee hee. That's very gracious of you. A find like that requires some sort of elevated description! I would much rather "seal an epistle" than "lick an envelope." That old custom makes our current one appear barbaric.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just amazing how beautiful and special this is. Great story, too. Thanks for sharing and congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just amazing how beautiful and special this is. Great story, too. Thanks for sharing and congrats. -Lisa & John

Thank you both for the comment. It will be some time before I can top this one!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a beauty and save, congrats on both parts! It's one of those finds HIGH on the want list, after so many yrs I'm still turning plugs waiting for one.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really amazing find. Surely British?

Thanks for the comment, gordonquixote. A good possibility that it is British. County records show the land was purchased in 1756, but there are conflicting records regarding the building of the home. Some documents show 1756, while others as late as 1799. The original home still stands, but has been expanded and renovated over the years. Aside from the rotary seal, other old finds include a 1773 Virginia half penny, and half (cut) of a silver 8 real dated 1786, so even if the home was built inn 1799, there are several relics that indicate much earlier activity on that site.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty and save, congrats on both parts! It's one of those finds HIGH on the want list, after so many yrs I'm still turning plugs waiting for one.

Thanks, pepperj. To tell you the truth, I knew nothing about rotary seals until I found this first frame back in June. It was other TNet members that helped me to ID it and explain its use. I've learned quite a bit since joining TNet. It's a great forum and I do not hesitate to promote it to others in metal detecting circles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions