Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I posted this rotary seal commenting that I would return to the 1756 home site where I found it and try to find the stone seal.

Second matrix.jpg

That was actually the second one I had found. The first one I found back in June 2016, same site, did not have the bezel ring.
Original.jpg

Well I returned to the site today to burn off a few Thanksgiving calories, I was amazed to find the actual seal and bezel ring to the first one!
In situ.jpg

I got home, and after some careful cleaning, was able to remount the bezel ring and seal into the original one I found in June.
Both together.jpg

It is a double sided seal with a lion on one side and a bust on the other. With some indirect light, I was able to get these photos.

Lion side.jpg Bust side.jpg

Thank goodness the stone was still inside the metal bezel ring, or I never would have found it. I've been metal detecting for years, but this has got to be one of my best finds. Thanks for having a look!

Last edited:
Upvote 96
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Darn nice find.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding persistence hunting! By the looks of it, you found a beautiful show piece of history. :occasion14:

Thank you, Professor. This one will keep a grin on my face for some time. And its especially nice to be able to share it with folks like you, and other TNet members, that have the same passion for recovering and preserving history!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off, congratulations on your amazing finds from this site Tommy! :occasion14:

Your persistence paid off on your return visit and now you have your first BANNER here on Tnet! :thumbsup:

Well done,
Dave

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to admit that waking up this morning to a banner spot is pretty cool, but also humbling when you consider all of the other awesome finds appearing there. My sincere thanks to all who commented and voted!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Tommy G.....
Well deserved for sure!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the banner and an awesome find. Any best guess on how old it is? Also, it's hard to tell the size and I have not seen one before. How big?

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner and an awesome find. Any best guess on how old it is? Also, it's hard to tell the size and I have not seen one before. How big?

Thanks, Mr. Digger. My apologies for not providing a size comparison photo in my first post. Given that I myself had no clue what this was back in June when I found the frame, I should have provided that up front! As far as age, easily mid 1700's considering the documented age of the site.

Seal size.jpg

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got banner for this, Congrats!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got banner for this, Congrats!!

Thanks, deershed; pure luck! Had the stone not been seated in the metal bezel ring, no doubt it would still be out there!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome piece! congrats on the banner!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still on my top ten wish list too. May always be ?
Wax seal, fob seal, now "rotary" seal, which I believe is the first I've seen dug.
There is a thread in best finds (I think) dedicated to these you should check it out, and add yours to it.
Congrats on a great find.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still on my top ten wish list too. May always be ?
Wax seal, fob seal, now "rotary" seal, which I believe is the first I've seen dug.
There is a thread in best finds (I think) dedicated to these you should check it out, and add yours to it.
Congrats on a great find.

Much obliged, Rick. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had no idea these things existed until I found the empty frame several months ago. You just never know what you are going to dig up, and that's the great thing about this hobby! Thanks for the tip on the thread. I will try to find it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude ..Man I...I...Just don't know what to say.
TO COOL!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread