Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I posted this rotary seal commenting that I would return to the 1756 home site where I found it and try to find the stone seal.

Second matrix.jpg

That was actually the second one I had found. The first one I found back in June 2016, same site, did not have the bezel ring.
Original.jpg

Well I returned to the site today to burn off a few Thanksgiving calories, I was amazed to find the actual seal and bezel ring to the first one!
In situ.jpg

I got home, and after some careful cleaning, was able to remount the bezel ring and seal into the original one I found in June.
Both together.jpg

It is a double sided seal with a lion on one side and a bust on the other. With some indirect light, I was able to get these photos.

Lion side.jpg Bust side.jpg

Thank goodness the stone was still inside the metal bezel ring, or I never would have found it. I've been metal detecting for years, but this has got to be one of my best finds. Thanks for having a look!

Last edited:
Upvote 96

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
No friggin' way!!! Wow, that's amazing, and a bit of luck to boot! Congrats on a major bucket lister to many, including me.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its a beauty

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible.. Is that KG3 or 2? Wonder if anyone can give us the history on this one. Not sure how rare this is but its a banner in my book. Congrats

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No friggin' way!!! Wow, that's amazing, and a bit of luck to boot! Congrats on a major bucket lister to many, including me.

Thanks, Scrappy. Luck indeed! I'm going to run out and buy a lottery ticket before the day ends!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible.. Is that KG3 or 2? Wonder if anyone can give us the history on this one. Not sure how rare this is but its a banner in my book. Congrats

That is a real compliment coming from you, Stef! I've seen (and drooled over) many of your posts! I never thought about the KG aspect, but might be possible considering the age of the home site.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real compliment coming from you, Stef! I've seen (and drooled over) many of your posts! I never thought about the KG aspect, but might be possible considering the age of the home site.

Yeah dude I'm pretty sure thats KG2 OR 3's bust. and the lion is a British royalty thing too. Which makes this friggin awesome! Hence my banner vote

Saint

Greenie
Jul 5, 2004
Unbelievable!! There must have been some Divine intervention involved. Kinda makes you want to sift the whole place for the other stone, eh? Well done!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!! There must have been some Divine intervention involved. Kinda makes you want to sift the whole place for the other stone, eh? Well done!

Yes, sifting has crossed my mind several times!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes a stunning combination...........Congrat's!!!!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic save for sure Tommy and reuniting the seal with its bezel ring is incredible. BANNER nod for sure from me

Thanks for the comment and banner vote, VMI. Looking at the finds in your signature block, you're no stranger to saving history yourself! It's really a great feeling.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a breathtaking relic, made all the better by the persistence you showed to reunite the pieces. Have you used it yet?? More pics!!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a breathtaking relic, made all the better by the persistence you showed to reunite the pieces. Have you used it yet?? More pics!!

Haven't tried to use it yet, but here are a few more pics. Tough to get the right light on it to show the actual seal emblems.

seal 1.jpg seal 2.jpg seal 3.jpg

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the extra pictures, it is a beauty. If I found that, I wouldnt send another personal email. My friends and family could expect a steady stream of letters affixed with with my kick butt, possibly regal, wax seal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread