1721 silver reale found while hunting civil war site. Near mint condition.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 21

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only ever found whole ones myself. Guess it depends on the site

Same here. I'm jealous of those cut silvers! Cut silver is more often found down south since they didn't have as many fractional coins (coppers). They are found up north, just not nearly as frequently.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only ever found whole ones myself. Guess it depends on the site

It looks like you got 1/2 and 1 reales and most of them are later. I was mainly speaking of the 2 reales from the early 1700s like the original posters find which are found cut up the most I believe. Cant tell from pic but I assumed it was a 2

Cut silver may indeed be rare in my area as I have found close to 20 KG coppers and only 2 Spanish in almost two years. It blows my mind that BillDVA has nearly 100 cut silvers but only 20-25 KGs or so his signature says

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Well done and congrats T Hound. NO doubt in my mind either. That is a beauty.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like you got 1/2 and 1 reales and most of them are later. I was mainly speaking of the 2 reales from the early 1700s like the original posters find which are found cut up the most I believe. Cant tell from pic but I assumed it was a 2

Cut silver may indeed be rare in my area as I have found close to 20 KG coppers and only 2 Spanish in almost two years. It blows my mind that BillDVA has nearly 100 cut silvers but only 20-25 KGs or so his signature says

Yeah, those early coppers are a tough find down this way :laughing7:. Joking aside, there's really not that many around here probably because of all the commerce which necessitated the need for larger denominations of coinage.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a ridiculous and totally uniformed comment. Any coin, regardless of age, can be lost not long after it was minted and be in exceptional condition. I've dug almost 200 colonial silver coins, including about 85 cut pieces, and they've been recovered in conditions ranging from totally slick and almost unidentifiable to pristine with almost no wear at all (very similar to this one). I can post pics if needed, but Treasurehound's coin appears to be 100% legit. Please don't criticize other's finds when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

UPDATE: Here's a small sampling of some dug silver coins that exhibit little wear, and I can post many more like these examples. Click on the photo to enlarge.

View attachment 1385192

I agree! Totally uncalled for comment by that guy. Ok, I know I haven't been a member of Tnet for years and years like some, but one thing I've noticed is that people talk a lot of smack on here! Any time someone finds a nice piece, instantly there's always one person that has to call it out and say it's "fake" or question the authenticity. Totally ridiculous!!! I just got into an argument with a long time member because all he ever posts is negative remarks!! I dunno. I love this forum and love posting, reading and commenting on here. But man, some people are just so jealous!!! It's kinda funny. -RANT OVER- Happy holidays everyone!! And most importantly, happy hunting!

--The Sergeant--

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree! Totally uncalled for comment by that guy. Ok, I know I haven't been a member of Tnet for years and years like some, but one thing I've noticed is that people talk a lot of smack on here! Any time someone finds a nice piece, instantly there's always one person that has to call it out and say it's "fake" or question the authenticity. Totally ridiculous!!! I just got into an argument with a long time member because all he ever posts is negative remarks!! I dunno. I love this forum and love posting, reading and commenting on here. But man, some people are just so jealous!!! It's kinda funny. -RANT OVER- Happy holidays everyone!! And most importantly, happy hunting!

--The Sergeant--

The reason some talk smack on here like you say is because they're extremely jealous of folks that bust their butts doing research, get permission to search potentially productive properties, and then make some great, hard-earned finds. I find it rather amusing myself .....

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a totally fake coin and that Bill guy who posted examples of his fake coins, you two should go into selling snake oil together.

Just joking. That is one heck of a find, congrats!!!

Last edited:

mspence

Aug 25, 2011

1721 isn't considered early 1700's? Hmmm did I miss it by one year!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is so beautiful! Congrats!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1721 isn't considered early 1700's? Hmmm did I miss it by one year!

I said most were later and your 1721 looks too small to be a 2. Im saying 2 reales pistareens were the most cut up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful cut real! :occasion14: :notworthy:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find. Congratulations

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a totally fake coin and that Bill guy who posted examples of his fake coins, you two should go into selling snake oil together.

Just joking. That is one heck of a find, congrats!!!

What's up with your avatar man?? Looks like a groundhog chomped down on that baby. I'd be embarrassed to post that thing .... ha!!

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

--The Sergeant--
#

Know what your saying, but in this case I think no smack was meant.
Just a lack of experience & judgement. There is a difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread