1721 silver reale found while hunting civil war site. Near mint condition.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 21

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying you didn't dig this. What I'm thinking is the Reale, Real. It would indeed be a very rare find in that condition. Any I have ever seen have been well circulated and worn. Yours appears to have been cut on the day it was made. Is it possible that you were in an area of any re enactments ? The old saying goes if it looks too good to be true then it probablly isn't. If it is real, it's the most pristine Reale I have ever seen that was dug.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is what a couple guys told me right after I dug it. Saying it had to have been cut pretty close to when minted. Most of the cut pieces I have seen were pretty well worn. I was hunting near a couple pits that were being dug. One was for bottles and the other was for Shaler bullets. He got 860 complete Shalers out of that hole. I walked a few feet away and dug this on the second signal. I thought it was another bullet as it was the same tone. By the way another guy dug a 1858 flying eagle and the reverse was a 1859 Indian Head penny. Very rare die error. A lot of great finds are recovered on these hunts.

I'm not saying you didn't dig this. What I'm thinking is the Reale, Real. It would indeed be a very rare find in that condition. Any I have ever seen have been well circulated and worn. Yours appears to have been cut on the day it was made. Is it possible that you were in an area of any re enactments ? The old saying goes if it looks too good to be true then it probablly isn't. If it is real, it's the most pristine Reale I have ever seen that was dug.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't feel dubious about it. There are clear signs of wear and it doesn't look like it came from a sock drawer, and the member has a long history. In fact, I think questioning a members finds violates the rules: report it to mods if you have legit reasons to be concerned as to the authenticity.

So good on ya, treasurehound, a great find!

That said, in the PV (post-Vino) tnet, I do love to see the "pre" pics of more special finds. Call me Dirt McGirt...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely real and shows signs of circulation wear. Sometimes the first comment of a thread sets a tone, however like Z.K, I have no doubt it's of period and completely legit.

Congrats on the find.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a pic from the field right after I dug it.

Attachments

• 20161104_145158.jpg
    20161104_145158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187
OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Z.K. I don't need to post fake finds and hate those that do. It really doesn't offend me if people think its fake. Everyone has their opinions. But to question if it was dug or not.... I showed this to a big time coin collector who was at the hunt and he identified it for me. I had no idea on the date and he was showing me all the markings that id's it. He also said it was probably cut shortly after minted. Yes it was dug. Yes it was verified by collector at the hunt. Thank you for all your replies. It is my oldest coin to date.

I don't feel dubious about it. There are clear signs of wear and it doesn't look like it came from a sock drawer, and the member has a long history. In fact, I think questioning a members finds violates the rules: report it to mods if you have legit reasons to be concerned as to the authenticity.

That said, in the PV (post-Vino) tnet, I do love to see the "pre" pics of more special finds. Call me Dirt McGirt...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

This is a ridiculous and totally uniformed comment. Any coin, regardless of age, can be lost not long after it was minted and be in exceptional condition. I've dug almost 200 colonial silver coins, including about 85 cut pieces, and they've been recovered in conditions ranging from totally slick and almost unidentifiable to pristine with almost no wear at all (very similar to this one). I can post pics if needed, but Treasurehound's coin appears to be 100% legit. Please don't criticize other's finds when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

UPDATE: Here's a small sampling of some dug silver coins that exhibit little wear, and I can post many more like these examples. Click on the photo to enlarge.

silver coins.jpg

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree-it's 100 percent real and in superb condition with very slight wear-congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a ridiculous and totally uniformed comment. Any coin, regardless of age, can be lost not long after it was minted and be in exceptional condition. I've dug almost 200 colonial silver coins, including about 85 cut pieces, and they've been recovered in conditions ranging from totally slick and almost unidentifiable to pristine with almost no wear at all (very similar to this one). I can post pics if needed, but Treasurehound's coin appears to be 100% legit. Please don't criticize other's finds when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

UPDATE: Here's a small sampling of some dug silver coins that exhibit little wear, and I can post many more like these examples. Click on the photo to enlarge.

View attachment 1385192

If anybody needs more confirmation look a some of the early silvers dug by Cru and others. 100% legit and a killer find. I'm glad we have enough informed members so these comments don't gain any traction. Never want to see a great legit find detracted from. Congrats OP

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting at the Diggin n Virginia hunt earlier this month and found my oldest coin to date. It is a 1721 silver reale in near mint condition.

The kind of recovery seen at eyes closed time at night,for many days after.
Congrats on the oldest ,and take them as they come, but what good fortune on the condition.
A recovery like that would probably find me unfit to hunt after. For a few minutes anyway...and not too focused after.
Quite the site of the hunt.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Great coin find TH. Condition is great and no sign of any damage in recovering it. With my luck (and as dry as it is here) my pinpointing would have been off and I would have dinged it. Be proud of that find, it's definitely a keeper.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, I can see signs of wear & I've seen many better examples dug, especially this period. (No idea why)

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congratulations on a killer slice of pistareen. :occasion14: Beautiful dug condition on that one and I bet it was a huge surprise to pop that out at DIV. Awesome find man.

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
I've found reals that were so worn you can barely tell what it was, I've also found a couple of reals that looked like they were fresh from the mint like this beautiful 1721 real top right in pic ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480187482.316048.jpg . Same with seated coins.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. I now want a half or whole pistareen after finding my first quarter cut last month. Whole pistareens or even half cut are only found like once for every 15 quarter cuts or so Ive read

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread