better late than never!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ok.........so its taken me a while to post my OC Maryland vacation finds........what can i say.....ive been lazy. ::) actually, detecting was tough this year. i only found a fraction of what i found last year. i did get to meet up with Borntodetect while i was there. my brother, ed (borntodetect) and me hunted the beach at 50th street one morning. Ed is a great guy and it was a pleasure to finally get to meet him. anyway i only found one keeper piece of jewelry this year. a little silver ring with a blue stone. it rang in as foil on my Explorer SE. ( my GTI 2500 wont even pick it up in air tests :'() it is really thin which im sure is why the detectors are having a hard time picking it up. i also found a cheap stainless ring that had me fooled for a minute. besides that i got a little over $18 in clad. sorry if the pic of the ring is a little blurry. i only have a scanner and non flat items dont scan very well. anyway, it was a good vacation that went by way too fast! thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 07-15-2007 01;07;17PM.jpg
    07-15-2007 01;07;17PM.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I bet your Garrett will pick that up running all-metal (DC).
That's the great thing about the GTI2500. In all-metal DC phase it still offers target ID. All you lose is the muti-tones.
There's no way it won't hear that ring that way.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Danimal said:
That's the great thing about the GTI2500. In all-metal DC phase it still offers target ID. All you lose is the muti-tones.

just tried it. you`re right dan! i rarely hunt in that mode. maybe thats how i will run it on the beach from now on. ;)

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:

just tried it. you`re right dan! i rarely hunt in that mode. maybe thats how i will run it on the beach from now on. ;)
Hollow-I used to go on and on about how that's the ONLY way I used to hunt with my ACE250 (with pinpoint depressed, in DC) and how it punched much deeper. Problem was it lost all TID in DC and you would have to attemt a target ID in AC, which was difficult on deeper, smaller targets because of the units limitations.
NOW, with y DFX, I am finding out that the only way of getting REAL depth with the DFX is hunting (again) in DC pinpoint (or, if you wanna go insane, AC and DC combined) and then switching off for TID. When the AC sens. is cranked on the DFX it will chatter when a bird farts. Running in pinpoint lets me aquire a true target and then go for ID.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Danimal said:
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:

Hollow-I used to go on and on about how that's the ONLY way I used to hunt with my ACE250 (with pinpoint depressed, in DC) and how it punched much deeper. Problem was it lost all TID in DC and you would have to attemt a target ID in AC, which was difficult on deeper, smaller targets because of the units limitations.
NOW, with y DFX, I am finding out that the only way of getting REAL depth with the DFX is hunting (again) in DC pinpoint (or, if you wanna go insane, AC and DC combined) and then switching off for TID. When the AC sens. is cranked on the DFX it will chatter when a bird farts. Running in pinpoint lets me aquire a true target and then go for ID.

the 2500 is a deep monster in true all metal but, as you said, you cant target id in that mode. a nail sounds the same as a coin.i guess if you have the patience and the time you can do as you say and toggle to discrim mode once you have found a target. i would think it would only be practical at a semi clean site though. also the 2500 is not very deep at all in discrim mode, so if you found a really deep good target, you would probably still have to dig it out to id it. that is the reason i broke down and got an explorer se. it has the best of both worlds, depth and target id. the main downside with the se is the slow sweep speed........i guess there really is no one machine that can do it all! ::) thanks for the insight and advice. ;)

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:

the 2500 is a deep monster in true all metal but, as you said, you cant target id in that mode. a nail sounds the same as a coin.i guess if you have the patience and the time you can do as you say and toggle to discrim mode once you have found a target. i would think it would only be practical at a semi clean site though. also the 2500 is not very deep at all in discrim mode, so if you found a really deep good target, you would probably still have to dig it out to id it. that is the reason i broke down and got an explorer se. it has the best of both worlds, depth and target id. the main downside with the se is the slow sweep speed........i guess there really is no one machine that can do it all! ::) thanks for the insight and advice. ;)
Hollow-The GTI2500 DOES do visual target ID in all-metal, but it only has one tone.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Danimal said:
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:
hollowpointred said:
Danimal said:

Hollow-The GTI2500 DOES do visual target ID in all-metal, but it only has one tone.

really! i didnt know that! :o i thought it was just a single tone machine at that point. i will really have to check that one out! next time i go out i will hunt like that and see how well it does. thanks!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
So cool to get out and detect away from home, congrats on your finds and I hope your season totals pick up soon! Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Nice ring! Way to go on the vacation finds. Keep em coming!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank's Kieth....hope I do as well as you did!!Congrat's on the ring!! Surf fishing and MDing' for me...

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Pretty ring!

The next great find is right around the corner!

Congratulations!

Ridley

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job HP.
Love that blue colored stone.
Hope you enjoyed your vacation.
-MM-

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Hollow,
I run My GTI in jewelry and if I get a iffy signal, I toggle to All-metal. One tone but
still gives a visual target ID. Having more depth in AM can sometimes make the difference
on deciding if its a good target.
HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you are aware of this , but perhaps many aren't. I wasn't until it was pointed out to me. On Garrett detectors Zero Discrimination is not the same as the All Metal mode. All Metal on the 2500 is the truely deepest mode to work in. The metal target will sound off even when the detector is held still over the target. I was working my 2500 in an all metal mode during a recent club hunt with targets being dimes and quaters buried at approximately six inches. I could not pick them up in any of the discrimination modes. About 4 or 5 inches was the deepest I could get no matter what the sensitivity level when in the Zero Discrimination mode. Once I figured out I could pick them up only in the All Metal mode, it was too late as most if not all the coins had been found and the time limit was expiring. In the All Metal mode,I am thinking the target ID function did not work and there was only one tone. It sounded just like the pin point mode as the target sounded louder when the target was centered in the coil. The reason I don't think the target ID was working was because the only signal I dug was a buried Pepsi can. If the target Id was working it would have shown a target larger than a coin and I don't remember seeing that. I don't remember if the depth was shown on the LCD readout. So, I lost out on the deep targets because I did not know my detector! That's why everyone preaches, "Get to Know Your Detector!"From what Blackjack77 says, I may still not know mine! But you can bet I am going to check it out soon! And my only comment is , "D'oh!" M :-[ nty

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Monty said:
I know you are aware of this , but perhaps many aren't. I wasn't until it was pointed out to me. On Garrett detectors Zero Discrimination is not the same as the All Metal mode. All Metal on the 2500 is the truely deepest mode to work in. The metal target will sound off even when the detector is held still over the target. I was working my 2500 in an all metal mode during a recent club hunt with targets being dimes and quaters buried at approximately six inches. I could not pick them up in any of the discrimination modes. About 4 or 5 inches was the deepest I could get no matter what the sensitivity level when in the Zero Discrimination mode. Once I figured out I could pick them up only in the All Metal mode, it was too late as most if not all the coins had been found and the time limit was expiring. In the All Metal mode,I am thinking the target ID function did not work and there was only one tone. It sounded just like the pin point mode as the target sounded louder when the target was centered in the coil. The reason I don't think the target ID was working was because the only signal I dug was a buried Pepsi can. If the target Id was working it would have shown a target larger than a coin and I don't remember seeing that. I don't remember if the depth was shown on the LCD readout. So, I lost out on the deep targets because I did not know my detector! That's why everyone preaches, "Get to Know Your Detector!"From what Blackjack77 says, I may still not know mine! But you can bet I am going to check it out soon! And my only comment is , "D'oh!" M :-[ nty

Monty, Using All Metal does show a target ID-- but, I have noticed a target ID does not show if coil
is not swinging. It'll show the last target, should be the target below the coil unless multiple targets.
Then it could be fooled. I typically only use AM after using a Descrimate mode to more throughly check an aquired target. Most sites have too much junk for AM. This MD is deep using All Metal- -I'm
just too lazy to dig anything but the best targets below 10"-- imaging does not seem to work well below 6-8"-- although a bigger target will show at 10". This is all based on My observations and soil
conditions-- I really like the 2500. Its a perfect fit for My detecting style!!!
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread