Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a ride up north yesterday and walked into some Westchester County Woods. The rain we got on Tuesday and Wednesday was sure to bring up some nice signals.
Sure enough on a hill overlooking a nice body of water, the E-Trac gave me a signal that registered close to a nickel signal. At only 3 inches, I used the pin pointer to locate what I identified as a piece of an old buckle. I scanned the ground again and got a signal about a foot away. I dug out another piece to the buckle. Another sweep of the coil and another identical signal. Sure enough, a 3rd piece of the buckle. I spent about 45 minutes trying to find the missing piece(s). No go. If anyone can Identify and date this buckle, feel free to jump in.
Another interesting target I dug up is a 1918 bird band. It is the oldest bird band that I have found to date.

IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG IMG_5616.JPG

Upvote 13

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bird bands are super cool. I dug one a couple of weeks ago with the leg bone still in it. :angel7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No help on the buckle ATW, but it's nice to see you got out and dug some keepers.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old buckle find, your persistence detecting paid off!

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the bird band, I have found three, but nothing even close to being old like that. Very cool.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! :occasion14:

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and congrats on the older bird band. Never found one of those myself.

John

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, old buckle frame is cool. That bird band is awesome, I've found a couple in the past but not that old. WTG! Congrats and HH

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I would think that 1918 bird band is a rare antique from the beginning of the bird banding as we know today...have you tried to access a database that would identify the bird? Also, bird bands today do not carry the date on them, you have to call in the # to get species info and date of banding.
Curious to learn more about your band.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I would think that 1918 bird band is a rare antique from the beginning of the bird banding as we know today...have you tried to access a database that would identify the bird? Also, bird bands today do not carry the date on them, you have to call in the # to get species info and date of banding.
Curious to learn more about your band.

There are many different breeds of pigeons. The band that I recovered is a "Homing Pigeon" band that belonged to a bird fancier who belonged to a racing club. This particular Homer probably fell victim to the "Falcon Menu"
I flew "Birds" back in the day. We had Flights, Baldies, Tiplets, and White Sides. You could always order custom bands that the squab would be banded with,, shortly after hatching. Those bands always came with a year stamped on them along with your initials or Loft / Coop name. The band that I recovered is an official band of the American Racing Pigeon Union.
The U.S. Army Signal Corps as well as the U.S. Navy, used carrier pigeons in both WW I and WW II. Their use was discontinued by the military in 1957.
The band I recovered has the following Letters and Numbers.
AU 18 E 1216
AU stands for the American Racing Pigeon Union
18 is the year that the pigeon was banded.
E is the registered club code.
1216 is the individual bird serial number.
I sent an email to the American Racing Pigeon Union requesting any additional information they might have such as Loft I.D. and location. I hope that they respond. I find this to be quite interesting.

Last edited:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Very interesting...
congrats on a nearly 100 y/o find....I would be thrilled. Good luck with the additional info you requested.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds but, I really like that bird band. Congrats!!
That was some interesting info. you gave on the bands too.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the bands I dig are marked NPA, SBPA, MLF, Greek Delta (triangle), & AU. solid ring, riveted & crimp or folding tongue. these are in past 2 months at the Colonial farm. IMG_4166.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread